It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non-conformists: Good or Bad?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
We live in a modern society where we are taught from little on that we need to fit in with the world around us. Fasion, social rules, school, ect. All of these things teach us from little on that we need to be just like everyone else. Even the fasion trends that come and go are about people trying to be like everyone else.

I was always a bit of a Non-conformist! I stayed out of trouble, but I turned my back on the social norms. I'm not into materialism and consumerism. I don't care for fasion, I wear what I like (usually a T-shirt, jeans, bare feet, and a cap). Wandering in the woods or sitting near a pond/steam is more intresting to me then a big social gathering. I often ignore social trends. Creating my own ideas and questioning Athourity are more appealing to me than main stream life. I'll challenge anything I don't believe!

I kind of see non-conforists as a social check! We keep the rest of this screwed-up world attached to reality by saying:

Hey, why do we do these things? Are you sure that's a good thing?

So I ask you, Are Non-Conformists (like me) a bad thing, or are we helping by highlighting what's wrong with this world?

Tim

[edit on 11-12-2006 by Ghost01]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Non-conformists often do end up conforming though, if they all try to be anti conformity, then they are conforming against conforming. It helps to be your self, not really caring what others think but at the same time not attacking their beliefs or choices. We are all free to do as we will, and people conforming often makes people fell better about themselves or more secure. Not everyone can go and say that they don't care what their image is like.

Me, yeah sure, I like to look nice, but only for me and my girlfriend. I wear what I like regardless, but sometimes you like to dress up a bit. Yeah, i buy things, but only things that i like. I don't care what famous people have, what supposed music "artists" have (there aren't too many true music artists that we see anymore).

It's not about conforming or not, it's about doing what you want, because that's what you want to do. If you want to play Dungeons and Dragons, then fine, do it, don't worry about what people think if it's fun for you.

The only true non-conformists are those that do what they want, whether or not it's what's "popular". Those that try to do the opposite of what all the "conformists" or mainstream society is doing, are just conforming to that.

Basically, don't worry about being a conformist or not. Just be yourself.

Non-conformity is about not caring what is popular or not, and just doing what you are interested in. If you are a social person, then be one; if not, then don't.

Conformity is at either end of the spectrum, doing everything mainstream is conformity, doing everything that is not mainstream is conformity, but not caring and just doing what you are interested in is non-conformity.

Hope that made sense.

Peace,

Pancho

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
7Pan7cho7, that is a great answer and I agree 100%! Not because I'm trying to conform, though!

Ghost01 - You are a Good Thing.
I am also a non-conformist. With a name like Benevolent Heretic, what else could I be?

Sometimes, I do break away from the norm just because it's the norm and I want to experience something different, but I think it's a Good Thing to question authority, THINK and be really conscious about what I'm doing.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
7Pan7cho7, that is a great answer and I agree 100%! Not because I'm trying to conform, though!

Ghost01 - You are a Good Thing.
I am also a non-conformist. With a name like Benevolent Heretic, what else could I be?

Sometimes, I do break away from the norm just because it's the norm and I want to experience something different, but I think it's a Good Thing to question authority, THINK and be really conscious about what I'm doing.

You are right, a conformist would only agree with me around 98% or so, so you're good.

Speaking of thinking, one of my favorite quotes or lyrics from a song is from "Mind" by System Of A Down (hardly anybody likes california music in texas, except for Tupac or Snoop Dogg) but anyways....

"Free thinkers are Dangerous"

It's so simple and yet so true.

So maybe we can conform just once, and agree to think freely.

Peace, and love

Pancho

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with non-conformity,free thinking and such. However, non-conformity becomes a problem when you start delving into deviant behaviors...

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Deviant behavior like what? By whose standards?

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Well,Benevolent, like child abuse, for example. I think all, or at least most of us, would say that is deviant behavior caused by non-conformism..

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Well,Benevolent, like child abuse, for example. I think all, or at least most of us, would say that is deviant behavior caused by non-conformism..

Yes, most would say that child abuse is deviant, but caused by non-conformism? You think people abuse children because they want to be different? I don't think so. Something else is causing that.

I'm asking more about, for example, homosexuality. It's non-conformant, but is it a deviant behavior?

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   

[I'm asking more about, for example, homosexuality. It's non-conformant, but is it a deviant behavior?

Well,I didn't want to go there,but,yeah, in my opinion, it is deviant. It certainly is not natural... However, I have come to a point in my life to where I don't even discuss homosexuality..If they choose to live their life in that fashion, so be it. I have to accept it, but I certainly don't have to condone it.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Well,I didn't want to go there,but,yeah, in my opinion, it is deviant.

That's cool.
I have a different opinion, but I can live with that.

It certainly is not natural...

I guess it depends on what you mean by natural. There are plenty of same sex couples in the animal kingdom.

I certainly don't have to condone it.

Very true.

I just wondered about it because everyone has their own idea of non-conformity and morally wrong behavior and I think it's important to discuss specifically what we mean instead of using words like "deviant behavior" because that's a subjective judgment.

Thanks for being so open about it.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Well there's more to non-conformity than the clothes you wear or being Gay.
That's just conforming to a different group.

Society needs a bit of variety to keep it interesting, both Racial and Social.
It generates new ideas, keeps things from getting stale.
The only advantage of Conformity is that it makes Administration easier, but a smart Govt can handle a bit of variety with a bit of flexibility.

It's the whole point of Being Free.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I think the proper definition of what a non-conformist is is due here... It really has little to do with sexual preference or obeying or not obeying the law.. Here:

In English history, a non-conformist is any member of a Protestant congregation not affiliated with the Church of England. The earliest non-conformist groups included Presbyterians, Independents (Congregationalists), Baptists, and Quakers. Later non-Conformists included Methodists and the Salvation Army.

The term has come to refer to any person who chooses not to conform to a set of beliefs or practices of a greater national entity, society, culture, or established church.

If the issue is considered critical, such as loyalty to a nation or support for current laws, the non-conformist is often termed a "rebel" of a society and may be considered dangerous to maintaining social order. Unlike an anti-conformist, who chooses not to conform to society simply for the sake of not conforming, a non-conformist chooses to not conform to society because of differences in beliefs.

Non-Conformity

I think that by this definition, most of us would be considered non-conformists... Maybe not every aspect of it describes us, but there are certainly at least one aspect of this definition that describes each of us that posts on a site such as ATS.

[edit on 11-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I like what Henry David Thoreau had to say about what other people think...

"Public opinion is a weak tyrant compared with our own private opinion. What a man thinks of himself, that is which determines, or rather indicates, his fate."

good words to live by...

What we think of ourselves in the end will have a greater impact on our lives than what others think of us.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
That's bang on deadbang.

I think conformity is good as far as it works for everyone, it's when the round pegs start getting shaved off to fit into square holes that it hurts.

Conformity hinges largely on judgements that are accepted by a majority as consensual reality. Judgements are subject to appeal.

Just today out walking, I spotted a man with Tourettes syndrome. I thought he must suffer alot because of expected norms.

I like non-conformists better. I think all the great thinkers and inventors were non-conformists. They used to make awful fun of Leonardo DaVinci and everyone knows what happened to Galileo.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   

LOL!

BH I thought the same thing when I read that. An it harm none do what you will!

I have never conformed just to be accepted. I always have followed my own path, because that is who I am. I have to conform at work but not when I am off work.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Non-Conformist, Hum, . ... . ... . Let's Ponder that.
Do you agree with everything our current president has done? Do you agree with everything the government has told us about 911? Do you follow the Speed limit Laws? Well, if you don't your a non-conformist. BUT, because our society has determined that those behaviors are undesireable, that makes it a bad thing. Would that be the feelings of the majority of the people that make up that society? No, that is the majority of the group that make up those who make the laws. They are the ones who determine what the social "NORM" is. That is what makes you a Non-Conformist. Does that make you bad? Not in my opinion. Everyone is a non-conformist. Have you ever been late for work? regardless of weather it was your fault or not. That makes you a non-conformist. However, that is Not bad, nor does it make you a bad person. Now, on the other hand, .. . Have you commited any murders lately? If you have, you are a Non-Conformist. Period. Is that Bad? YES!. Why, .. Because, you are a Conformist in that respect. Basically, Conformity is in the eye of the beholder.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Sminty
Now, on the other hand, .. . Have you commited any murders lately? If you have, you are a Non-Conformist. Period. Is that Bad? YES!. Why, .. Because, you are a Conformist in that respect. Basically, Conformity is in the eye of the beholder.

What are you talking about? Re-check your logic. Aren't we all conformists in the respect that we are late for work(granted that we are late for work)?

We know murder is bad. Explain why that makes them a different form of non-conformist.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Non-conformists could have prevented the Holocaust.

The lure of acceptance and safety are powerful indeed, but mob mentality is too dangerous to make it worthwhile IMO.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Non-Conformists are just trying to be annoying.
Stop trying to stand out! You're just a cog in the machine like everyone else.

(There. Now I'm a Non-Conformist in this thread.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Tarzan, my point was that Anyone who doesn't believe in what the government says, breaking the speeding laws, and murdering people are different forms of non-conformity. The variable of what makes it "Good", or "Bad" is determined by the Social Norm.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join