It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Domino Effect in the Middle East

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
On the heals of the West's inability to stop either North Korea or Iran from going nuclear, four Arab states have announced their intentions to pursue nuclear technology and two more have shown interest.

www.timesonline.co.uk
The countries involved were named by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) as Algeria, Egypt, Morocco and Saudi Arabia. Tunisia and the UAE have also shown interest.

All want to build civilian nuclear energy programmes, as they are permitted to under international law. But the sudden rush to nuclear power has raised suspicions that the real intention is to acquire nuclear technology which could be used for the first Arab atomic bomb

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This does not bode well for the Non-Proliferation Treaty. All the countries in question have the right to pursue nuclear technology for energy, but one has to ask how many are serious about civilian use and how many intend to pursue nuclear weapons. Personally, I think we are looking at the demise of the NPT and an ensuing global nuclear arms race. Seems like 2007 is going to be an interesting year.

[edit on 3-11-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
It seems we can add Turkey to the list of those with nuclear ambition in the middle east:

Turkish Nuclear Program

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Well it was some polls done about which were the most dangerous people in the world.

And it was hard to believe that US closes allies, like UK and Canada within their population named Bush to be the second most dangerous person to the world after Bin laden.

So I guess countries around most be feeling kind of scare so they are no taking chances.

BTW this was on CNN news.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I just posted this article in this thread. It appears that everyone wants to blame Israel though. Not that Israel or the US are blameless but the fact remains that the US has been warning about this and actively trying to stop this for years with mostly only resistance from the rest of the world. With certain exceptions including our good buddies in the UK.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Ok well now, this is what happens when you attempt to conquer a whole region of a planet...

It has been shown that the US just cannot be stopped by conventional means. Sure they can be aggravated while they are in town, but they stay so long both sides eventually get used to each other and finally stabalize.

Nukes are the only thing powerful enough to strike fear into the American government and prevent them from conquering and/or corrupting new land.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Ok well now, this is what happens when you attempt to conquer a whole region of a planet...

It has been shown that the US just cannot be stopped by conventional means. Sure they can be aggravated while they are in town, but they stay so long both sides eventually get used to each other and finally stabalize.

Nukes are the only thing powerful enough to strike fear into the American government and prevent them from conquering and/or corrupting new land.

What tune will you sing when a terrorist blows up New York or Washington D.C. or LA? Will you be on the sidelines saying we deserve it?

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   
JackJuice

And . . . on the other hand, I guess nobody cares how the middle east feels about having their lands and resources been manipulated by occupation, all for the good of the world.

But guess what, even the world is starting to get second thoughts.

And instead of dialogues and policies to make the world safer for everybody, third world countries are finding that they can not trust the super powers.

So they have to find a way to stay safe. . .

But then again they are the axis of evil. They deserve to be invaded and democracy banged on their heads.

Yes . . . nuclear weapons for dummies, they are not for everybody, said US.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Yes . . . nuclear weapons for dummies, they are not for everybody, said US.

actually, said the international treaty that most of these countries willingly signed on their own.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700
It seems we can add Turkey to the list of those with nuclear ambition in the middle east:

Turkish Nuclear Program

Of course, Turkey won't have the same problems as the others, being a NATO member and prospective EU member.....

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I read an article in the newspaper yesterday that stated that the US has no problem with Egypt having a nuclear program, this statement was made recently after Russia requested if it would be OK with the US for them to help build Nuclear power plants there.

This because Egypt is a peacefull nation and a good ally they said.

I and several members of my family have been to the UAE, Iran, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon and Syria over the last decade, both on holidays and for work.

Guess which country we got shot at?

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Now just hold on there folks. We know that this WOT has made the whole world a safer place. It wasn't until we identified the axis of evil and pointed out that that we think they are building WMD's and now that we brought it to everyone’s attention, this is just everybody else’s reaction to their nuclear ambitions. Even though everything was going along just fine until then, we thought you should know.

This would be funny if it weren't so dangerous.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Well it seems that maybe my attempt at humor was not well received. Try reading it again only imagine Steve Colbert is saying it, and maybe that will help.

My point was that you can't blame the reaction of these countries that are only responding to what they see as a threat in their region. I believe that this threat and the acceleration of Iran and N. Korea to develop nuclear weapons was caused by the US policy in the region along with the invasion of Iraq and the axis of evil comment by our president.

If these events didn't happen, IMHO I doubt this domino effect would be happening.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
on the contrary, i think it is the west's inability to stop the proliferation of WMD that has caused these countries to attempt pushing the envelope. it has nothing to do with america's floundering in iraq and everything to do with israel.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Well I would agree that conflicts in the Middle East has been a problem since the creation of Israel, but I believe even without it the region would still be unstable. I was referring to the recent increased tension due to Iran and N. Korea seeking to obtain nuclear weapons.

What would you suggest we do to keep these countries to adhere to the NPT that we are not doing yet?

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
well, obviously the UN is impotent or this wouldnt be occurring. i dont think the world is being tough enough. sanctions....and i mean real sanctions are the way to go IMHO. the kind in which no country in the world is allowed to have trade of any kind with a country seeking to build nuclear weapons. problem is, you will never see measures of this kind inacted. it would take someone actually lobbing a nuke for that to happen, at which point there is a strong chance that everyone will start lobbing them for fear that they wont get a chance to get their's off.....and then there will be no more need to worry about the problem.

the other possibility is strong military action against a nation attempting to build nukes.....but of course if we suggest that as a serious solution (nevermind that it would probably fix the problem) we become war mongers who hate all muslims. so i guess the only safe idea is to wait until the middle-east explodes into nuclear war.....of course, at that point, we become the blind, incompetent fools who should have seen it coming and did nothing about it.

hell, think i just go have another beer and let someone else figure it out.

top topics

join