It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using a laptop and its effects on the eyes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Hi,

I work in front of a computer five days a week, then when I get home I normally switch on my laptop for personal use like checking email and browsing ATS etc.
Basically with so much computer usage I find my eyes getting sore and I have to stop. I dont wear glasses but Im afraid my computer usage is starting to affect my eyesight. Now i know what the simple solution is, stop using computers so often but I have to at work and at home its often a necessity too, is there a type of filter you can buy for laptops which would cut down the risk of damage to the eyes?

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I hope this helps a bit,it could be the radiation from the screen or behind the screen.
laptop filters

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
nice one i'll check it out.
cheers.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 04:32 AM
link   
You could also chat with your optometrist and ask about "protective computer glasses" (not sure about the "technical term"). You can have special glasses made with the sole purpose of protecting your eyes against harmful light, i.e. computer screen radiation.
Example 1
Example 2

That's if you don't mind being called "four eyes"...

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Hi,

I think lcd screens are far more dangerous to the eye than crt ones. I´ve worked every day over the last 10 year in front of a good quality flat 10Hz crt and I didn´t needed glasses, two years ago i started to use more the laptop and in only one year i had to start using glasses, I noticed the difference in only one year.

My advice is to plug your laptop to a good quality crt at home and go to your eye doctor and make a checkup asap because the loss of vision is exponential.

fred

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
A good quality monitor always help of course, no doubt about that. In general, though, the most damaging to the eyes in the long run is not so much from looking at the electrons itself, it's rather the proximity of a flat surface for excessive periods of time. For example, reading books all day or watching paintings on the wall would have the same damaging effect.

To preserve your eyesight make sure you take a short break every hours if possible to go peek outdoor in natural sun light, look at complex 3D objects such as trees to keep your eyes "calibrated" so to speak, watch moving cars, focus your eyes on clouds, etc... then continue working on your computer in a well lit room, because watching a monitor in the dark could burn your retina over time.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
That seems like sound advice,
thank you.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The environment is very important.

If you have an excellent monitor that does not hurt your eyes but have a light reflecting on it, then you are forcing your eyes because that area of the screen has a different, very low, contrast when compared with the rest of the image.

One of the problems that I find in the screens of most portable computers is its size, they are not as big as common CRT, so the pixels are smaller and force us to see things smaller than on a CRT.

Also, LCDs have a different way of making a pixel, they are made with 3 different transistors for each colour, so when the screen quality is not that good the image can look blurry because of lack of definition between the pixels and their 3 elements.

join