It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avro Project Y

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Anyone have any more information about the Avro Project Y? I found a video interview about it here:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
The "Popular Mechanics Cover Story" the man talks about in the video is a story about a North American Aviation concept called the Lenticular Reentry Vehicle which was, essentially a concept for a nuclear-powered flying saucer. Information on the LRV was declassified in 1999. The article describes it thusly:

The operational mission design is six weeks' duration at a nominal orbital altitude of 300 nautical miles, with a crew of four men," according to the report. The weapons bay would hold "four winged weapons" that could be either launched or detached and parked on orbit. There are repeated references to the LRV launching weapons-carrying clusters.

It also mentions that the LRV would have required either a large, multi-stage booster rocket to achieve orbit or might eventually have made use of one of the then-in-development nuclear rockets - such as NERVA - which were tested but never flew.
Since nuclear rockets were never (for any number of reasons) developed to the point of building a production design, and since the number of Saturn boosters constructed for the Apollo program (10 Saturn I, 12 Saturn IB (+ 2 unused first sages), 15 Saturn V) is well known from, the LRV would not have had a launch vehicle, had it ever been built, which it wasn't. For this man to claim that a British version flew is just BS, not because the Brits couldn't have built it (they certainly could have) but because they've never had a launch vehicle of placing this or any other manned vehicle into space. If Britain had manned spaceflight capability they would have told the world - although they probably wouldn't have used a black project like this to advertise their capability.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Phloyd Phan

you are quite correct. Britain never made this aircraft -it looks like an Avro Canada Project to me.

Acharya

might be worth doing some research on the avro car as I am not very knowledgeable on this subject, -a lot of books give conflicting information & there are so many conspiracy theories around this & similar projects. take a look at these pics i think they are the same aircraft as in the post.

www.laesieworks.com...

www.laesieworks.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Avro Canada. D'oh! Every time I hear the name "Avro" I immediately think of the Vulcan bomber. My bad.

But it doesn't make any practical difference. This project wasn't taken on by Avro Canada any more than it was by Britain - they had no indigenous launch vehicle, for one. Arguing that this was a Canadian project drives another nail into the coffin of this supposed "black project" - Canada has never possessed nuclear weapons, although they worked closely with Britain and the US when both countries were building their first nuclear weapons. Canada has also allowed US nuclear-capable ships and planes to use Canadian ports and airbases, and (under a complicated arrangement that left a miles-long paper trail) US-made nuclear armed missiles were based in Canada from the mid 60's until 1984 (under an arrangement with the US where both countries had to okay the firing of the aforementioned missiles). US Genie nuclear-tipped air-to-air missiles were also available to Canadian forces in the event of a Soviet first strike against NATO, and these were administered by US military detachments at relevant Canadian airbases. These US troops would "release" the weapons to the RCAF if needed. But Canada NEVER had an indigenous nuclear arsenal, and weapons "on loan" to arm an Avro Project Y-derived Lenticular Reentry Vehicle would have left a mass of paper and red tape in their wake. Someone would have noticed.

As far as the Avro Car goes, even Avro enthusiast sites like this one admit that it was, apart from some VTOL data that was later applied to the nascent Harrier jump-jet development project, a failure.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
lol
Me too. I like to think I know a little bit about British planes & I thought don't think i've ever seen that one -even as a paper project from Avro uk. then the light dawned

I completely agree with your analysis britain never had the will to produce this kind of aircraft we shelved our space rocket program after our government decided there was no profit in space. -then the french built on our research to create the Ariane rocket program & successfully launch satellites to this day.

The reason I have mentioned the avro car is because it is from the same stable as project Y. Type Project Y into google & you are as likely to get a page on underpants as a black secret aircraft. ;-)

thanks for the link to the Avro car -its not one I have seen before & ill enjoy the read.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:36 AM
link   
www.laesieworks.com...

here you go -some nice pictures of it during engineering mock up stage.

Looks just like some of the UFO's that were sighted in the early 60's....

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
UFO projects are not going to work in at least another 50years, so any UFO related projects are not very interesting

or at least to me

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Dude UFO just means unidentified flying object -

Spade shaped UFO's were reported over north weat USA in the 1960's and early 1970.... so it could be that project Y got some good flight time before being either terminated or used only for testing...

We may never know for sure, but its better to keep an open mind and eyes

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
not interesting ? this is Avro Canada

aircraft need propulsion, lift & control, not jets, wings & ailerons.

This project is from 1950's -ish -over 50 years ago & the avrocar flew, there are videos of it leaving hangers & hovering over the ground. saying not going to work for another 50 years is like saying those wright brothers might get an aircraft off the ground in a few years -similar time frame at least.

Avro Canada produced some of the most interesting & innovative aircraft projects -the Arrow -the Jetliner & the Avrocar. they all take their place alongside the best of the global competition at the time. Project Y could have been a formidable aircraft although it is very difficult to separate the truth from the fantasies of a number of UFO enthusiasts.

I cant believe Im explaining this to a canadian warset.

"When once you have tasted flight you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward"
- Leonardo Da Vinci
(probably after eating a KFC)

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by warset
UFO projects are not going to work in at least another 50years, so any UFO related projects are not very interesting
or at least to me

So then what made you come in here then? D'OH!

For the others who ARE interested...

www.avrocar.com...

The Avro project was quite definately a Coanda effect "saucer" design.

The Coanda effect is quite valid and works on all fluids, air, water AND plasma, which is the key to actual practical saucer applications. Both the AFRL and LANL have been working on plasma technology for decades, as have contractors like Lockheed...

What makes you think they haven't got anywhere? LOL

As to the Coanda effect craft being a :dead issue", why is the US Navy publishing documents about it in 2000? Hmmm?

The Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) has successfully simulated the Coanda Effect....PDF

PDF File www.fluent.com...

And to those that believe the technology that powered the Avro idea doesn't work... have a look at these two test videos from JLN Labs.

Windows Media films...

Coanda Effect UAV - JLN Labs Demo Video Test Flight #1

file:///E|/00LandofLegends.us/41pegasus/10videos/gfsafpdflt1.wmv

Coanda Effect UAV - JLN Labs Demo Video Test Flight #2

file:///E|/00LandofLegends.us/41pegasus/10videos/gfsafpdflt2.wmv

There is also a British company working on the same thing GFS Products

www.gfsprojects.co.uk...

They make great surveillance craft...

And as to that plasma tech I was talking about?

LOOK MA! NO AILERONS!!

Seems the Coanda effect and plasma flow is very efficient indeed...

Revolutionary Hypersonic Aerospace Vehicles
With Plasma Actuators That Require No Moving Parts

Air Force Research Laboratory

landoflegends.us...

[edit on 18-4-2007 by zorgon]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Canada did have a nuclear aresenal. the genie missiles that the CF-101 carried could be nuclear tiped. The US "lent" the RCAF these missles i believe on temporay US soil in canadian bases during the hight of the could war to ward off bomber over the artic incase of an attack.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I came upon this thread, after looking through some vague, sanatized FOIA documents. I came upon

Here's the url

Scroll down to the " REPORTED SIGHTING OF UNCONVENTIONAL AIRCRAFT" listing.

Where a "ufo" reported may in fact be related to the project "y" craft. I'm not an expert on this topic, but from what i've read, project "y" was a saucer shapped craft that was nuclear powered?

[edit on 9-1-2009 by phrankie79]

[edit on 9-1-2009 by phrankie79]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by phrankie79

You might be interested to see this thread I started on the subject about a year ago

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join