It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why doez Zeus get no credit these days?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I was thinking, this whole ID/Creationism thing: how come no-one pays any attention to the Creationism from the viewpoint of Zeus et al? I mean, he is the reason for thunder, was he not? Hephaestus created the first woman, surley thats got to be of some imprtance, hasn't it? Now I must admit, my Greek mytholoy isa little ropey at best, but surley he and his cronies should be granted some akcnowledgement in this whole creationism/ID debate, no? If not, why not?

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth
I was thinking, this whole ID/Creationism thing: how come no-one pays any attention to the Creationism from the viewpoint of Zeus et al? I mean, he is the reason for thunder, was he not? Hephaestus created the first woman, surley thats got to be of some imprtance, hasn't it? Now I must admit, my Greek mytholoy isa little ropey at best, but surley he and his cronies should be granted some akcnowledgement in this whole creationism/ID debate, no? If not, why not?

It's quite simple really.

Because the identity of the designer, Zeus, Yahweh, Rael, or otherwise isn't relevant to the question of ID.

Creationism is specifically the belief the that God of Bible created the universe. Since Zeus isn't in the Bible, he doesn't get mentioned.

You're certainly free to start your own movement, however.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Also Thor gets absolutely no respect, I probably should have said Odin gets no respect as he is Thors father, but dammit Thor kicks ass, and if it werent for that dammed Loki hed rule the universe by now.

Although I still think Yoda would kick Thors ass, Jedis rock.

Also how come theres no comic book about Jesus, a fare few other religious deities get there own story, yet no Jesus. Are Marvel and DC trying to tell us that Jesus is too boring to make into a good story - "dude theres like 40,000 followers and like this guy just just feeds them with like a fish and an egg cup ful of wine or something" - mmmm very interesting, "maybe if we had the one where jesus pulls out his mighty rod and smote his followers for being dicks, then youve got a good story".

With the Bible its all plagues, alot of rain, some suffering, a sacrifice or two. Wheres the flying god/warriors, mighty hammers and lightsabres, and there isnt even 1 space battle scene in the whole Bible I checked, this is unnacceptable.

I propose to support this request for more thread time devoted to other deities. I mean Zeus could often be found appearing as a waterfall of gold coins before seducing the lady's. So from this you can deduce that he was heavily into his Golden showers, y'see an Image of Jesus stepping forth from a nice warm golden shower would just be ridiculous, and look ridiculous with that beard and hair.

When youre in a room with Jesus then you know youre gonna have a crap day, lots of praying and eating fish and basically acting all glowy. If youre sitting next to Zeus and hes holding a lightning bolt then you can be pretty sure something awesome is going to happen.

They exist in the exact same universe as the more commonly believed religions around the world like Buddhism, Islam and Christianity, and exist with same level of certainty given that they are all Gods and as such are our creators, given that their believers beleive without a doubt in their existence.

Which other gods/Jedi should get more respect and threadtime around here because they are soo damm cool?

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loon

When youre in a room with Jesus then you know youre gonna have a crap day, lots of praying and eating fish and basically acting all glowy. If youre sitting next to Zeus and hes holding a lightning bolt then you can be pretty sure something awesome is going to happen.

Ahaha, made me laugh so hard.

Reminds of an old Biggie Smalls line:

When I die f*** it i wanna to go to hell
cause im a piece of # it aint hard to f***ing tell
it dont make sense going to heaven with the goodie goodies
dressed in white, i like black timbs and black hoodies
god would probley have me on some real strict #
no sleepin all day no geting my dick licked
hanging with the goodie goodies loungin in the paradise
f*** that sh** i wanna tote guns and shoot dice

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The reason Zeus isn't mentioned is because they've been to the top of Mt. Olympus. There was nobody there! And Thor is basically the same thing as Zeus as well as (I think the relevant Egyptian version is) Ra.

There are already numerous comics about Jesus. I owe my basic knowledge of Christianity to them, because as a kid, comic books were a whole lot more readable than the Bible.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattison0922

Originally posted by john_bmth

It's quite simple really.

Because the identity of the designer, Zeus, Yahweh, Rael, or otherwise isn't relevant to the question of ID.

Creationism is specifically the belief the that God of Bible created the universe. Since Zeus isn't in the Bible, he doesn't get mentioned.

You're certainly free to start your own movement, however.

Actually, Zeus is mentioned in the Bible though the KJV translates Zeus as Jupiter. Its all the same. Nimrod is Zeus, Jupiter, Kronos, Zoroaster, Dagon, Osiris, Baal, Lucifer, Satan. etc., etc., etc. etc.

All of these false teachings come from Babylon, the home of the Mystery Religion that blinds mankind. The story of Zeus is that he has relations with a human woman and has a son Hercules who becomes the savior of mankind. These Religions and myths were designed to keep you from seeing the Messiah the Son of the living God.

Acts.14:10 and called out, "Stand up on your feet!" At that, the man jumped up and began to walk. 11 When the crowd saw what Paul had done, they shouted in the Lycaonian language, "The gods have come down to us in human form!" 12 Barnabas they called Zeus, and Paul they called Hermes because he was the chief speaker. 13 The priest of Zeus, whose temple was just outside the city, brought bulls and wreaths to the city gates because he and the crowd wanted to offer sacrifices to them. 14 But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of this, they tore their clothes and rushed out into the crowd, shouting: 15 "Men, why are you doing this? We too are only men, human like you. We are bringing you good news, telling you to turn from these worthless things to the living God, who made heaven and earth and sea and everything in them.

Now here is Peter talking and saying that we have not followed cunningly devised fables. The fables he is taking about is the Greek myths and Roman gods and the Egyptian BS that comes from Babylon. Peter says, we saw Jesus do these things.

2Peter 1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Man I have absolutely no idea how to do this quote thing, dammit.

Anyhoo, Ill see if I can get by.

First off babloyi you say that Zeus isnt mentioned because "they" have been to the top of Mt Olympus and saw that he wasnt there, excellent logic. But wouldnt this also disprove the existence of the Christian god? You see the only reason the ancient Greeks believed that Zeus lived on Mt Olympus, is because it was written in their scriptures that it was were he resided. They believed it because their religous doctrine told them to believe this, and so they did, and it was good.

However Christian scripture and doctrine states that god resided in heaven, and so the followers of that faith believe that he does indeed reside in heaven, and so he does, which is nice. Only the heavens that the bible speaks of is actually the sky, back then the sky itself was the heavens, "and yay the heavens did open, and much rain fell, a boat was involved somewhere, some animals were saved". Now we have been up in, and above the sky for decades now and no-one has met god. So therefore using your own logic in stating that Zeus does not exist, because we didnt find him on Mt Olympus, you would also have to agree that the Christian god does not exist, because no-one has seen him in the sky, unless all of these crazy UFO sightings are actually god in a space ship. Gods in space ships, thats what Im talking about.

And as far as reading comics about Jesus, well I dont know where to start with that, when I was a kid if I had a choice between reading the latest X-Men comic, or a comic about a guy walking around in a hot country touching lepers and performing fish oriented magic (everyone knows fish magic is like the lamest kind of magic), then Im afraid that my choice would be simple. The amazing mutants comic would accompany me to the toilet for a good dump, and Im afraid the comic about Jesus came in pretty handy when I realised my mam hadnt bought any toilet roll this week.

Now Sun matrix raises some interesting points that I would also like to try and address, firstly I was not aware that Zeus appeared in teh Bible, sorry but he wasnt called Zeus he was called Jupiter. Hmm correct if I am wrong but was Jupiter a member of the Roman Deific belief system, and Zeus is quite clearly the leader of the Greek religious pantheon. You also claim that several other religions also had their gods mentioned in the bible, and have amassed quite a few names from multiple religious belief systems, even claiming that Zeus is also known as lucifer and satan.

Now Im no expert, so once again please correct me if im wrong but I dont believe that Zeus has ever been portayed as evil and satan-like, so I find it hard to understand how you came to this conclusion.

You also claim that these religions and myths were created to prevent "us" from seeing the messiah, the son of the living god, which is great except these religions and myths existed for millenia before Christianity was invented. Are you seriously telling me that the architects of these relgions and myths, were merely trying to fool us by having us doubt christianity, a religion at that time that would not exist for several thousand years. Once again I find it hard to understand how you would reach such a conclusion. Perhaps given that there are older and yet less followed relgions around the world, we could also assume using your logic that one could claim that it was infact christianity that was created to prevent the people from seeing the true majesty of Zeus, and his son Hercules. And from the amount of christians in the world today id say the plan worked very well, which is also nice.

[edit on 11-9-2006 by Loon]

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loon

Now Sun matrix raises some interesting points that I would also like to try and address, firstly I was not aware that Zeus appeared in teh Bible, sorry but he wasnt called Zeus he was called Jupiter. Hmm correct if I am wrong but was Jupiter a member of the Roman Deific belief system, and Zeus is quite clearly the leader of the Greek religious pantheon.

[edit on 11-9-2006 by Loon]

In the KJV he is translated as Jupiter. I quoted the New International version showing that it was translated as Zeus.

Greek Zeus is Roman Jupiter is Egyptian Osiris etc., etc., etc. etc.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix
Actually, Zeus is mentioned in the Bible though the KJV translates Zeus as Jupiter. Its all the same. Nimrod is Zeus, Jupiter, Kronos, Zoroaster, Dagon, Osiris, Baal, Lucifer, Satan. etc., etc., etc. etc.

All of these false teachings come from Babylon, the home of the Mystery Religion that blinds mankind. The story of Zeus is that he has relations with a human woman and has a son Hercules who becomes the savior of mankind. These Religions and myths were designed to keep you from seeing the Messiah the Son of the living God.

Okay. But this changes nothing. Two reasons why: 1stly, the Creationists, don't believe that Christianity is derived from ancient religions/culture, since it's their movement, they don't have to mention what they don't believe. 2ndly, You mention that in the Bible Nimrod is Zeus, well that pretty much clearly indicates that in the Bible Zeus does not equal God, the Creator, and is thus not worthy of mention.

new topics

top topics

join