It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problem with Finger Flexibility. Is this Unique?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Here's the problem. I cant make a typical three with either hand. By typical, I mean holding the pinky down with the thumb and leaving the index, middle & ring finger in a vertical position. This has always bothered me. I have done stretching exercises down thru the years, like the ones used by guitar players to get greater flexibility but to no avail. I always compensated by making a three by holding my ring finger down with the thumb.

I just started learning American Sign language with my daughter and found that there are tons of signs I cannot make.

I have never met anyone else with this problem. Am I unique? or just deformed

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Yea that could be a problem. Does it hurt when you try to bend them or is it just painless?

Its not normal. Go see an orthopedist and get some x-rays taken.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Thanks for the advise. I am the only one in my family who has this condition. Wierd. My kids think its hilarious that I can't make a three.
Here is a pic of what it looks like when I try.

My hands are normal size but maybe my thumbs are just stubby.

I was hoping that I was not the only one. I just wonder if it will get worse as I get older. I hope not!

[edit on 7-9-2006 by Sparky63]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
You're not the only one, Sparky63. I have this as well.

It's actually fairly common. The ring finger doesn't usually have it's own extensor muscle (although some people do have one), while the pinky does. So when you bend your pinky finger, it kind of 'pulls' the other one with it.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I got the same problem i just do what the french do, I count using my thumb, the one is just the thumb, two index and thumb, three thumb index and middle, four all the fingers. dont worry about it, its not like your ever going to encounter a situation where you need to use sign language or play guitar

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vegemite
I got the same problem i just do what the french do, I count using my thumb, the one is just the thumb, two index and thumb, three thumb index and middle, four all the fingers. dont worry about it, its not like your ever going to encounter a situation where you need to use sign language or play guitar

Absolutely!

Besides, I cant snap my fingers.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Wow. Now I don't feel so all alone. Thanks for the responses. The only real problem has been learning sign language and hitting some of the more difficult chords on my guitar. No problem with the banjo since the neck is much thinner.

Now I dont have to tell my kids that I got my hands caught in a peanut grinder or some other contraption.
MAybe that will give them one less reason to think their dear old dad is wierd. Of course theres always my toes......better not go there!

new topics

top topics

join