It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the gas price dillema

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
you know what really jerks my chain? how these "oil companies" act like the govermnent and think we dont know they are screwing us westerners over. we can read. we can surf the internet. we do have access to other gas prices in other provinces... and i will not keep my mouth shut about it.

heres an example.

Latest Gas Prices Across British Columbia
Click on quote for more info
Kelowna BC 116.9 cents per litre
Quesnel BC 115.9 cents per litre
Kelowna BC 117.6 cents per litre
Vernon BC 115.9 cents per litre
Kaslo BC 116.9 cents per litre
Elkford BC 118.9 cents per litre
Kelowna BC 118.6 cents per litre
Nelson BC 119.9 cents per litre
Kamloops BC 109.5 cents per litre
Tofino BC 115.9 cents per litre

Latest Gas Prices Across Alberta
Medicine Hat AB 110.0 cents per litre
Edmonton AB 112.9 cents per litre
Rocky Mountain House AB 112.9 cents per litre
Camrose AB 112.9 cents per litre
Red Deer AB 113.9 cents per litre
Penhold AB 111.0 cents per litre
Innisfall AB 110.0 cents per litre
Didsbury AB 111.0 cents per litre
Carstairs AB 110.0 cents per litre
Blackfalds AB 112.0 cents per litre

Latest Gas Prices Across Saskatchewan
Saskatoon SK 114.9 cents per litre
North Battleford SK 115.9 cents per litre
Watrous SK 116.9 cents per litre
Radisson SK 115.9 cents per litre
Battleford SK 116.9 cents per litre
Estevan SK 114.9 cents per litre
La Ronge SK 119.9 cents per litre
Saskatoon SK 116.9 cents per litre
Melfort SK 115.9 cents per litre
North Battleford SK 116.9 cents per litre

Latest Gas Prices Across Manitoba
Winnipeg MB 99.9 cents per litre
Birtle MB 116.9 cents per litre
Carberry MB 113.9 cents per litre
Thompson MB 117.9 cents per litre
Plum Coulee MB 115.9 cents per litre
Winkler MB 115.9 cents per litre
Morden MB 114.9 cents per litre
Winnipeg MB 115.0 cents per litre
Swan River MB 116.9 cents per litre
Gillam MB 119.5 cents per litre

Latest Gas Prices Across Ontario
Guelph ON 96.3 cents per litre
Toronto ON 90.9 cents per litre
Port Elgin ON 99.0 cents per litre
Napanee ON 99.2 cents per litre
Kapuskasing ON 114.5 cents per litre
Kapuskasing ON 114.9 cents per litre
Kapuskasing ON 114.5 cents per litre
Brampton ON 90.9 cents per litre
Kenora ON 117.9 cents per litre
Cornwall ON 97.7 cents per litre

Latest Gas Prices Across Quebec
Montreal QC 105.4 cents per litre
Montreal QC 110.5 cents per litre
LaSalle QC 110.5 cents per litre
Sherbrooke QC 109.4 cents per litre
Laval QC 107.4 cents per litre
Trois-Rivieres QC 109.4 cents per litre
Cowansville QC 109.4 cents per litre
Montreal QC 104.4 cents per litre
Montreal QC 109.4 cents per litre
Montreal QC 108.9 cents per litre

Latest Gas Prices Across Newfoundland and Labrador
Bay Roberts NF 122.5 cents per litre
St. Johns NF 122.4 cents per litre
Corner Brook NF 122.5 cents per litre
St. Johns NF 122.4 cents per litre
St. Johns NF 119.9 cents per litre
St. Johns NF 99.9 cents per litre
Corner Brook NF 122.8 cents per litre
Conception Bay South NF 119.9 cents per litre
Deer Lake NF 119.3 cents per litre
Corner Brook NF 119.3 cents per litre

Latest Gas Prices Across Prince Edward Island
Borden-Carleton PE 113.4 cents per litre
Charlottetown PE 96.9 cents per litre
Charlottetown PE 119.1 cents per litre
Borden-Carleton PE 118.5 cents per litre
Summerside PE 118.2 cents per litre
Borden-Carleton PE 116.9 cents per litre
Charlottetown PE 118.5 cents per litre
Charlottetown PE 115.1 cents per litre
Summerside PE 115.3 cents per litre
Charlottetown PE 114.5 cents per litre

Latest Gas Prices Across Nova Scotia
Glace Bay NS 114.5 cents per litre
Kingston NS 112.9 cents per litre
Lower Sackville NS 112.4 cents per litre
Halifax NS 112.4 cents per litre
Dartmouth NS 112.4 cents per litre
Bedford NS 112.4 cents per litre
North Sydney NS 114.3 cents per litre
Bras Dor NS 114.3 cents per litre
Lower Sackville NS 112.4 cents per litre
Halifax NS 112.4 cents per litre

*this is as of 8/19/06*

www.garnetknight.com...

its all there for all to see. this is not right. in general the farther east you live the less you pay. WESTERNERS ARE BEING GOUGED. where to i write to complain about stuff like this?

what do ya all think???

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
should try living in the uk they are charging us around £1 per litre (4.52 litres per uk gallon)

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I think everyone should just shut up and deal wit a billion dollars in gas a month.

I recently took a job as a Pizza Delivery guy. Anyway I got to thinking, is there anyway better than GAS.
(And no I am doing it cause I want to, not cause I am forced to.)

Guess what there is, its called Biodiesel and it cost about 50 cents to 1 buck American to make.

And you can make it yourself. Search the net and learn to make it, its not hard or anything. If you live in the states there are places in every state selling this so. No more bitching about High gas, cause like you I was mad, Now i am going to get even.

Now the next thread on this Peal Oil should be.

Who Wants to Make a Biodiesel Gas Station

There are answers to everything, but unlike 30, 40, even 50 yrs ago, People are just to damn lazy to do anything about it.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   

posted by worksoftplayhard

How these "oil companies" act like the government and think we don’t know they are screwing us . . we can read . . surf the internet . . have access to other gas prices . . I will not keep my mouth shut . . its all there for all to see . . this is not right . . in general the farther east you live the less you pay. Westerners are being gouged . . where to I complain about stuff like this? What do ya all think??? [Edited by Don W]

1) The price of crude oil is set on the commodities market. Privately owned, operated as they will, we are subject to the vicissitudes of those buyers and sellers. Since everyone is buying at the same price, it is not hard to imagine how everyone is selling at the same price, especially keeping in mind the refining process and delivery system is also the same.

2) Crude oil is fungible, despite some being of higher quality than other. Brent and Nigerian sweet are two crude’s that will produce 80-90% gasoline out of a 42 gallon barrel. Heavy crude oil may produce as little as 40-50% gasoline. The price of most of the world’s crude oil is pegged to Brent. That is, Venezuelan crude may be 83.3% of Brent. Nigerian may be 105% of Brent, and etc. if you know the price of Brent, you can get the price of any crude anywhere.

3) Despite my inclination to set or fix prices, and my disdain for monopolies, I am convinced we are getting retail gasoline at the lowest prices commercially feasible. Also conceding the major producers do set prices so they can reap record profits in what may well be the last 2 decades of freely available crude oil.

3.5) I suspect prices are directly proportional to the distance from the Persian Gulf, at least in the Western Hemisphere.

We may be paying 50 cents more a gallon that we’d pay if there were 20 free and independent oil companies instead of 5 or 6. We cannot change that, they own the world and the world’s governments. But that is an open fact, not something that is secretly managed and operated by the Illuminati or the CFR.

When it becomes apparent we have passed Peak Oil, that is, production will begin its inevitable decline just as consumption continues its inexorable spiral upward, all the remaining crude will be nationalized.

[edit on 8/19/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite

How these "oil companies" act like the government and think we don’t know they are screwing us . . we can read . . surf the internet . . have access to other gas prices . . I will not keep my mouth shut . . its all there for all to see . . this is not right . . in general the farther east you live the less you pay. Westerners are being gouged . . where to I complain about stuff like this? What do ya all think??? [Edited by Don W]

1) The price of crude oil is set on the commodities market. Privately owned, operated as they will, we are subject to the vicissitudes of those buyers and sellers. Since everyone is buying at the same price, it is not hard to imagine how everyone is selling at the same price, especially keeping in mind the process and delivery system is also the same. .

2) Crude oil is fungible, despite some being of higher quality than other. Brent and Nigerian sweet are two crude’s that will produce 80-90% gasoline out of a 42 gallon barrel. Heavy crude oil may produce as little as 40-50% gasoline. The price of most of the world’s crude oil is pegged to Brent. That is, Venezuelan crude may be 83.3% of Brent. Nigerian may be 105% of Brent, and etc. if you know the price of Brent, you can get the price of any crude anywhere.

3) Despite my inclination to set or fix prices, and my disdain for monopolies, I am convinced we are getting retail gasoline at the lowest prices commercially feasible. Also recognizing the major producers are setting prices so they can reap record profits in what may well be the last 2 decades of freely available crude oil.

When it becomes apparent we have passed Peak Oil, that is, production will begin its inevitable decline just as consumption continues its inexorable spiral upward, all the remaining crude will be nationalized.

how do you explain people in toronto paying 97cents where as people in alberta paying up to 1.25cents??? being gouged thats how you explain it.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   

How do you explain people in Toronto paying 97cents where as people in Alberta paying up to 1.25cents? Being gouged how [do] you explain it. [Edited by Don W]

As to your specific question, Mr W, I’m unable to explain that because I do not know the facts about either place. What I do know is about my state of Ky. I’ve seen the owner of the state’s largest independent retailer - Thornton Oil Co - explain it.

In Louisville, a city of 550,000, he has 41 stations divided into 17 markets. Each market price is quite simply based on the distance to a real competitor. Where he has real competition, he has lower prices, where he has no or not much competition, he sets higher prices. This is the same computer program he uses throughout the state.

Adding to the price difficulty is a second fact about Louisville. It has only 3 wholesale distributors. They set their prices per 18 wheeler tanker load every morning. Retailers gain when the price goes up - the gas in the ground was bought at the old price - and lose when the price goes down, for the same reason in reverse.

Taking a free shot at your question, I’d guess Toronto is a more compact, higher density market than Alberta. Economy of scale.

Note: I edited my earlier post, Mr W, please check it.

[edit on 8/19/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
is it the same in the usa? the farther west you live the more you pay?

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   

is it the same in the USA? the farther west you live the more you pay?

I think there is a website that gives the price of gasoline for each state. How up to date and how accurate it is, I do not know but I have heard the price is higher in California. I live in Jax and today regular (87 oct) is $3.01 per gallon.

The price issue is complicated because the US has about 15 different regional EPA requirements that vary from place to place. For example, I lived in Louisville, and the gasoline there was reformulated to meet emissions requirements - + 3 cents a gallon - while just across the Ohio River, a trip many people made daily, a different and less expensive blend was sold. Yet, the air is metropolitan and not stte border limited.

top topics

join