It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man dies from anthrax in Scotland.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Breaking news on Sky at the moment, apologies for the lack of details....

A 50-year-old man is thought to have died from the first case of anthrax in Scotland for 20 years.

More follows...

Source: First anthrax death in 50 years

I'll be watching with interest how the government uses this one. Best wait first though before jumping to any assumptions.

CX.

CX

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Sounds like he contracted the disease from the animal hides where he worked.

The man who lived in the Scottish Borders, died in July but subsequent investigations have shown the cause of death was the deadly disease.

NHS Borders said his home in Hawick had been sealed off and an incident control team set up.

The victim worked with materials such as untreated animal hides. He died on 8 July in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

After a series of tests at laboratories in England, experts identified anthrax as the most likely cause for septicaemia.

Anthrax is an acute infectious disease caused by the spore-forming bacterium Bacillus anthracis.

Source: Anthrax death

Is this something that is contagious or will it just be isolated to this guy? I know it says it can't be passed from person to person, but how about person to animal, then back again?

CX.

[edit on 16/8/06 by CX]

[edit on 16/8/06 by CX]

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 04:33 AM
link   
If you work with cattle or with the soil there is a minute chance of getting anthrax. It can exist in the soil and I believe cattle (i.e. cows) produce it somehow. It's been known to happen this way in the States.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
i thought it can be passed person to person?

they are searching for people who had close contact with him.

NHS have just said there is no risk to the general population

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I have to wonder why there aren't more reported cases throughout the world.

It seems like it could be considered an occupational hazard when dealing with cows. With the number of domesticated cow/bovine farms around the world, you would think it would be more common. ( not to mention... tannery's ).

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grailkeeper
I have to wonder why there aren't more reported cases throughout the world.

Because even with all of the cow farms in the world, the chances of contracting the disease in such a manner are so low that t doesn't make much of a difference.

To answer the questions about the transmission of anthrax...

How is anthrax transmitted?
Natural anthrax infection can occur in three forms: cutaneous, inhalation, and gastrointestinal. Infection with anthrax almost always involves the transmission of anthrax spores.

Cutaneous anthrax is the most common naturally occurring form of anthrax infection. Humans can become infected with anthrax by handling products from infected animals containing anthrax spores. These spores are introduced into the body under the skin through a cut or abrasion. Low level germination of the spores into vegetative bacteria then occurs at the primary site leading to swelling and tissue death at the point of entry.

Gastrointestinal anthrax occurs following swallowing of anthrax spores. These spores enter via some break in the surface lining of the gastrointestinal tract (eg. small intestine). However, it is still not known where germination of spores into active bacteria occurs.

Inhalational anthrax occurs when anthrax spores are breathed into the lungs. These spores may come from contaminated animal products or from a deliberate release into the environment. Immune system cells present in the lungs carry spores into the closest lymph nodes, such as the mediastinal lymph nodes, where germinated bacteria will continue to multiply.

top topics

join