It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two US Border Patrol Agents Face 20 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
In a very bizarre trial, 2 US border patrol agents are now facing 20 years for pursuing and shooting at a drug smuggler. The smuggler was given immunity and helped sway the jury.

www.sbsun.com
Ramos' fellow agent, Jose Alonso Compean, was lying on the ground behind him, banged up and bloody from a scuffle with the much-bigger smuggler moments earlier.

Suddenly, the smuggler turned toward the pursuing Ramos, gun in hand. Ramos, his own weapon already drawn, shot at him, though the man was able to flee into the brush and escape the agents.

Now, nearly 18 months after that violent encounter, Ramos and Compean are facing 20 years in federal prison for their actions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I thought the border patrol was supposed to stop illegal activity at the border. The agent that shot at the smuggler thought he was in danger after seeing his fellow agent on the ground. I guess they just need to stand there with their hands in their pockets.

The Deputy US attorney should be investigated for doing this I think. Wonder what the deeper reality to this story really is.

Related News Links:
www.dailybulletin.com
www.dailybulletin.com

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Hopefully there will be video surviellance of the area if available to aid these agents in their defense. I believe the Defense Department should begin leasing Directed Energy Weapons (DEW's) for just this kind of scenario. If these men would have had DEW's, I believe this smuggler would not have the support he has now. All the border Agents should have these so they may neutralize tresspassers and law breakers crossing the border with silence and efficiency, without harming critically the suspect.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If this story is true, then....

Wow, I'm at aloss for words. I mean..damn. Well folks, this is the America that we live in today....don't second guess, YOUR government will turn their back and leave you hangin'.

That's pretty sad when an illegal border jumper has more rights than a law abiding home grown American.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Anyone else heard about this?

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Yeah Sporty I heard about it yesterday while watching Lou Dobbs, I applaud him for continuing to bring attention to this nightmare of a case. I am appalled and angered that we gave immunity to a drug smuggler who was caught on US territory so he could testify against US citizens and US border patrol agents who were trying to do their job by catching scum like him. But it gets better; he is now living in Mexico and suing the US border patrol for 5 million dollars while those two officers face up to 20 years in jail. What a miscarriage of justice. The DA and AG who have jurisdiction in that area need to be removed from office imminently! And this moronic law that does not allow border patrol agents to peruse people also needs to go.

What a tragedy. :shk:

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 04:05 AM
link   
In my country, he would be hung at dawn on a Friday. 0600hrs sharp. No presidential pardon, as long as he has more than 15grams of heroin, coke, what not.

I'm no fan of the death penalty, but this is clearly too much.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Drugsmugler getting immunity would imply to me he has been persuaded to testify against bigger fish.

Its not right that hes also summoned to condemn these border patrolers though.

But I can see how or why he could have gotten immunity.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
swayed the jury? seems like anyone can be bought or coaxed into anything, multiply with twelve....

War on Drugs

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Let's look at DARK Alliance by Gary Webb, Whiteout by Cockburn et al and Cocaine politics by Peter Dale Scott. Sure the guys an asset but he gets off. He can trade his drugs while the Border Patrol gets screwed for doing it's job. That will help with the border picture, I feel safer already.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Now here is a press release on the US Attorney's side of the story.
Load of huey if you ask me.

source

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
valkeryie, thanks for the link. If the release from the US Attorney's office is correct...then yeah, the agents got what they deserved, imo.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Therefore the judgement is that the U.S. Attorney, Johnny Sutton and his Cohorts so named on the top of the docment are acting in direct violation of the Laws of the United States of America, that they have actively entered into a conspiracy to import drugs, weapons and human cargo from Mexico. That their direct actions allow, even call for, the continued ability of terrorists and criminals to cross the United States borders at will. I call for their immediate resignation from service to the United States and their immediate Patriation to the country they love, Mexico. I applaud the actions of the Border Patrol Agents, as they acted in defense of the United States of America by instilling "fear of entry" into another person intent on violating our laws. I also call for the monies spent on the Illegal Drug Trafficker to be immediately repaid to the citizens of the United States and that those persons responsible for implementing those costs to immediately pay for those services rendered from their personal assets.

The People of The United States of America want Justice for the American People, not to provide it at a slant, first, for everyone else.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Update - These men were released from prison today.

Border Patrol agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean have been released from federal prison after serving more than two years in solitary confinement for the non-fatal shooting of a Mexican drug smuggler.
President Bush commuted the sentences of the two border guards Jan. 19, and his order will go into effect on March 20. The pair will serve out the remaining month of their sentences in home confinement in El Paso, Texas.
Ramos and Compean were sentenced to 11 years and 12 years respectively for the 2005 shooting of Osvaldo Aldrete-Davila, a Mexican national now in prison for attempting to smuggle hundreds of pounds of marijuana in to the U.S.

Link

top topics

join