It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

we eat ant poison?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
"... aspartame (Nutrasweet) was actually developed as an ant poison and only changed to being considered non-poisonous after it was realized that a lot more money could be made on it as a sweetener..."
found here; www.proliberty.com...

So how many other poisons do we consume?
And is aspartame effective against other insects? Is it effective against rats too?

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Theres a few threads on the flouride conspiricy is the water poisoned?

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I haven't seen anything else about aspertame being an ant poison and the wikipedia article doesn't seem to mention that. But, it's entirely possible it could be poisonous to ants yet harmless to people.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghaele
"... aspartame (Nutrasweet) was actually developed as an ant poison and only changed to being considered non-poisonous after it was realized that a lot more money could be made on it as a sweetener..."

I guess it's a good thing we're not ants, then, isn't it?

So how many other poisons do we consume?

Many. But it's no big surprise. Our own body produces some things that are naturally poisonous. Fortunately we have our immune system to deal with most of them.

We live in a harsh environment. All kinds of things like viruses attack us constantly. Hey, even our own friendly sun will kill you if you get too much of it. We're not designed to be immortal. We're only designed to live long enough to breed successfully. Then we're actually programmed to die so we don't get in the way of the new generation. Ain't nature wonderful?

And is aspartame effective against other insects? Is it effective against rats too?

Rats don't like that much sweet stuff. They prefer grains and small bugs. Most rat poisons are hemorragics that destroy their blood vessels so that they bleed to death from the inside. Pretty nasty. Good thing we aren't rats, then, also.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It should be effective against ants in warm climates - if I understand the situation correctly, aspartame is not dangerous when stable, but ambient heat renders it into formic acid (which is ant poison).

This is just my understanding, I could be way off base. Take it with a grain of salt.

Unfortunately, anti-aspartame sites are abundant, but not necessarily high-quality. It's very hard to discern what is fact and what is fiction, when their whole argument is tainted by obvious bias.

On the one hand, there's the corporate power structure, they have a vested interest in selling sweetener, and they tell us it's safe.

On the other hand, there's the anti-corporate power structure, they have a vested interest in reducing sales and inspiring fear and hatred, they tell us it's not safe.

I'd like a lot more information, but in the meantime, I just don't eat the stuff - better safe than sorry.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
It should be effective against ants in warm climates - if I understand the situation correctly, aspartame is not dangerous when stable, but ambient heat renders it into formic acid (which is ant poison).

Formic acid is the poison fire ants create themselves to use against whatever they sting, it's not a commercial ant poison (to be used against ants).

[edit on 8/9/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This is a warning page from 321 recipes.com addressing the known issues surrounding the characteristics, use and side effects of aspartame.

www.321recipes.com...

I think many will find it rather informative, as it contains numerous references and quotes from nutritionists and .gov sources alike.

When stored or maintained at above 86F it breaks down into it's three primary ingredients of Aspartic Acid 40%, Phenylalanine 50%, and Methanol 10%.

$.02

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I know that fire ants secrete formic acid, but I was under the impression that it was also used as an ingredient in a number of insecticide sprays. I also found this, which seems to indicate it's used in the manufacturing process, but that doesn't mean it's an active ingredient, so I don't know...

www.osha.gov...

as a strong reducing agent for acids, salts, dyes, fumigants, insecticides, refrigerants, and pharmaceuticals

www.chm.bris.ac.uk...

Some beekeepers also use formic acid as a fumigant to kill a mite which attacks the bees.

Also, I know fire ants can kill each other with this acid, so wouldn't it stand to reason that we could kill the ants with it as well?

I'm no chemical engineer, just happened to remember from some reading that there was a connection between formic acid and pest control - again, keep those grains of salt handy.

[edit on 9-8-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Somewhat off topic, but I remember my poor old deceased grandmother always just poured a HUGE pot of boiling water into the fire ant mounds. I think it worked just as well as any poison.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   

No wonder it tastes like crap when you use it in hot coffee. Bleh! Splenda or Equal work much better.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enkidu

No wonder it tastes like crap when you use it in hot coffee. Bleh! Splenda or Equal work much better.

I think Equal *is* aspartame.

There's also evidence that aspartame causes symptoms of AD(H)D, and that it's a neurotoxin.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I can't stand Equal or Splenda-it gives me an instant headache (maybe I'm part ant :puz
Anyway I remember reading recently that in some diet sodas the combination of artificial sweetener and asorbic acid causes benzyne to form. Now that's scary! I'll stick with water, cranberry juice and the occasional full on, all sugar, all caffeine coke-my sister calls it a "liquid candy bar".

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enkidu

Rats don't like that much sweet stuff. They prefer grains and small bugs. Most rat poisons are hemorragics that destroy their blood vessels so that they bleed to death from the inside. Pretty nasty. Good thing we aren't rats, then, also.

I eat rat poison.

Doctor's orders.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   
yea i have heard aspartame can cause cancer in people over time.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Howard, you're on the Warferin ? It's a blood pressure medication, right? Thins the blood or some such, originally it was a rat poison...

Funny the way things work.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Thank you all. I think I'll take a dose of sea salt just to be on the safe side... And a spoonfull at that

Alright avoid anything with sweeteners like 'pringles' and others, expecially at hot summer weather.

new topics

top topics

join