It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarcasm

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Before I start, I do not want to seem I am piggy backing on the old 'this board has changed so much, please give me points' routine, but I can't help but notice the amount of sarcasm that seems to happen in many posts.

It may just be me, but in several circumstances I have noticed users posting a thread they want to ask about/ give a personal experience and yet the thread seems to melt down into a joke amongst others. It can be fairly frustrating for those who want to read into an experience or try to learn more on a particular subject.

As Majic and other Mods have posted about general courtsey I thought such rules would be applied to a general use of sarcasm on the boards.. perhaps not. As part of respecting views, I think it is important to give an opinion, whether that be good or bad, but subtly mocking another view for personal gain is completely wrong in my eyes.

Perhaps I am whining, but the last few posts I have been on users have turned into abit of a joke. I am not looking for points/posts, rather to ask users who see posts as abit of a joke, well not to post if they are only there to joke about the validity of the post or change the thread and completely derail the main writer from his/her experiences.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Sarcasm is a form of anger. A lot of angry people on the boards here for whatever reasons, be it they think people are ignorant or because they themselves have issues or whatever. I guess you just gotta get used to the flaming, it happens a lot, but learn who is and who is not a real contributor and who is just looking to flame a difference of opiniona dn let it slide off your back...just my 2 cents

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
You will see this amongst members that know each other fairly well. The thing is Db71, you may not get the joke. Sarcasm in and of itself is fine. It's a release, not anger.

BTW, if you're attempting sarcasm, PLEASE, use the emoticons. The ones on BTS too, easy BB code to learn.

Example: "intrepid said this." :shk:

If not
, then

Edit:
I screwed up the BB code.

[edit on 21-7-2006 by intrepid]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knights
As Majic and other Mods have posted about general courtsey I thought such rules would be applied to a general use of sarcasm on the boards.. perhaps not.

There is no 'rule' about being nice or considerate. It's something we should all strive to be, but fortunately, there isn't a rule about being sweet to people. The day that ATS requires we don't use sarcasm or that we not offend other people is the day I leave ATS.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Sarcasm? Yeah, Right!

Be sure you're sitting down before you continue reading, because I have been accused of being sarcastic now and then.

Yeah I know, I know. I think that's crazy too.

Sometimes people confuse irony with sarcasm. Gotta love the irony of that!

We have all agreed under the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use that we will not "behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone."

Sarcasm directed at other members can fall into that category, and when it does, disciplinary action may follow.

But good old-fashioned sarcasm can also be directed at politicians, public figures, policies, events, theories and outlandish claims, and still be on-topic, poignant and relevant.

As long as sarcasm doesn't violate the T&C, there's nothing wrong with it.

Not that I'm encouraging sarcasm, of course.

Oh no, not me, not in a million years! :shk:

[edit on 7/21/2006 by Majic]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
A thread on sarcasm, fantastic!

subtly mocking another view for personal gain is completely wrong in my eyes.

How many points do I get?

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
BTW, if you're attempting sarcasm, PLEASE, use the emoticons. The ones on BTS too, easy BB code to learn.

Example: "intrepid said this." :shk:

If not
, then

You know in 15 yrs of being online, I have used emotion icons a total of maybe 3 times.

I think those things are the lamest thing since pantyhose for men....... Literally..

Also I think of someone is being sarcastic for some reason or another maybe they should add some type of code like:

[sarcasm]
I love emotions
[/sarcasm]
or
[sm]
I love emotions
[/sm]

I would be a lot easier than thinking its a dig at someone.

Also I think some sarcasm is healthy, but if its killing a thread then I think at that point something needs to be done about it...... Then again some threads are to emotional to even think sometimes whether you are sarcastic or whatever.. Or even an asshole...

I guess in that its up to some people to learn to judge whether its acceptable to be an ass or not...........

I have been accused of being in ass, at the time I didn't think so but after reading later on it was me being an ass...

I don;t know its just what i see from myself.. But I don't think total sarcasm should be left out.. That is just one less emotion that cant be shown here online...

Anyway my thoughts.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
i love this thread...

sorry, i had to...

anyway, sarcasm should be allowed on ATS...

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Oh, Plueeeze.....

There is nothing wrong with sarcasm. Its a form of expression perfectly acceptable in todays society. What is wrong with it? I use it all the time and it suits me fine. And by all means, feel free to use it towards me. I could care less.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Sarcasm is the CIVILIZED, thinking person's revenge upon that which offends their thoughts. Questions? Ask the last person who "offended" you with sarcasm.

The DAY we are so thin skinned and ignorant we can't appreciate some well considered sarcasm IS the day ATS will have caved into the dogs of war...

Springer...

[edit on 7-21-2006 by Springer]

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Sarcasm is the CIVILIZED, thinking person's revenge upon that which offends their thoughts.

Yes, but not every post offends thoughts! I've often seen sarcasm at quite innocent and unbiased posts.

The DAY we are so thin skinned and ignorant we can't appreciate some well considered sarcasm IS the day ATS will have caved into the dogs of war...

I'm not trying to say it is hurtfull, it can just be an annoyance and can very easily de-rail threads as more people divert the topic to an exchange of sarcastic remarks. I don't see it as being an insult personally- just an insult to your hard work.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
did I offend someone?

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Control Freakishness, a Mental Franken-fad

Sarcasm is a natural human expression. If a reader's ego has a negative reaction, then it's time to get out the mirror and find out why. These levels of blame another for how we choose to feel and react is getting so utterly ridiculous, I question the sanity of it all and if we are de-evolving into animals.

The blame game solves nothing and shirks personal responsibility to one's mental state. In the end it is only you who can ultimately change how you feel and react.

Need an example: Go look at the Middle East's fine example of what centuries of whining and intolerance does. Kaboom, their graduating classes are sleeping under dirt and feeding worms.

Egos and feelings are expendible. While we play in our heads and sit on our self pity pots, there's millions of kids that are wondering where there next meal is coming from, and they wondering why the adults want to destroy each other and embrace zero tolerance... before taking care of them.

Think about that...then ego be damned.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
did I offend someone?

You?

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Yeah, no more sarcasm.

On a serious note, sarcasm is good to go. It gets the message across and makes a point without having to write a friggen essay to counter someone's post.

Sarcasm is almost as good as a well placed F-bomb (not on ATS...you know what I mean)

Speaking of sarcasm, whatever happen to RANT?

[edit on 22/7/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Because it is vocally oriented, sarcasm can be difficult to grasp in written form and is easily misinterpreted. To prevent this some people end sarcastic comments on the Internet with an emoticon, emphasize words with italics, bold, and/or underlining (e.g. That's just great), or surround them with a made-up markup language tag, e.g. *sarcasm*

More about Sarcasm

[edit on 22/7/06 by Prote]

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knights
Yes, but not every post offends thoughts! I've often seen sarcasm at quite innocent and unbiased posts.

Maybe the person posting the sarcasm had a really lousy day, and took out some of it in their post. Or just thought it was a dumb comment, or.....

There are any number of reasons why people get sarcastic. I usually do when I'm tired, or had a wickedly awful day and someone says something to TO ME is amazingly ignorant. I usually feel bad about it later on, and there have been many times I've come out and apologized for it. The point is though that there's no way to know WHY that person got sarcastic.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This is the greatest thread ever! I mean I never saw so much good discussion here in this forum.

....sarcasm off

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Sometimes there's no other alternative but to

I get worn out, dont you? Gawwwwd, some times its better to use sarcasm than to type what you REALLY feel....That would equal= BAN most likely, and none of us want that- So...
the alternative would be to use one of these
Works for me and it doesnt hurt anyone.
I hate it when people try to pick my brains....that's my pet peeve, only to get an explanation out of you and come back and put you down some more...

So.......

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I think what Knights trying to say is once the "Sarcasm" starts, it tend's to get out of hand with remark's and redundant acqusation's of insult direction's of posting. I have seen it often around here, don't much care for it, but there is a point and a time to drop the "Sarcasm" innitiative's and move on if you don't agree with the thread OP or the visa versa of such conflict's of this nature.
There is some very funny post's for one or the othre threads that are very to the point, but then left at that, not hendered by constant badgering of the same bitching "Sarcasm" of a "Don't see eye to eye" thread and poster.
MOD's have thier hands full Knights, it is hard for them to be everywhere, but I have seen them put thier foot's into the perverbial "Slamming Door's" to stop it immediately, but it seem's it has to get pretty bad for that to happen. An out right "Verbal Slugfest" of the threads wordage and verbage. But they do take care of it, seen it myself. For the MOD's,

I wish it didn't happen so much either, I see it sooner or later everyday I come to the forum's. But it is alright if they have to resort to those tactic's of emotion and lay them off as acceptable for the conversation. Takes a real "refined " person to know that "They aren't so perfect either!!"
IMHO

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join