It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianitys Complete Hypocrisy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I am not religious at all and I am actually of the opinion that religion is only detrimental to society, yet I do realise that its something many people base their life around.

Ok getting onto what this thread is about, I find it hilarious that christians, in particular, quote the Bible as proof that homosexuality is wrong, yet these same people do not obey other verses from the "holy book".

For example they may quote certain verses that say "do not lie with another man" or whatever it says but choose to ignore verses such as Leviticus 19:27 that says "'You shall not cut the hair on the sides of your heads, neither shall you clip off the edge of your beard.". Now to me that reads as an obvious biblical law against either shaving or going to the barbers, yet I bet that majority of these serial homophobic quoters have done both. (If any hasidic (sp) jews are reading this please dont take offense, I'm not talking directly to you!)

My main point is that you can't knowingly disobey parts of the bible but then go on to quote other parts of it as law. Its not pick and mix. You can't decide to use only the parts that support your views but neglect those which hinder your modern lifestyle!

I'd be really interested to hear the opinions of some religious people on how they overcome tis blatent theological dilemma and from anyone really. Thanks for listening!

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
1: Before you come here and post half brained comments about your own religon. (Atheism) why dont you make sure you know what your talking about.

The Bible calls homosexuality "shamefull lusts" + multiple other references to its state of sexual sin.

2: Before you pick parts of the Bible to start critizing read the rest of the book/chapter. Leviticus 19:27 is God's law which was givin to Moses, for ISRAEL so that they would be set apart from the rest of the world. Doing what was right in the sight of the LORD. This was part of Gods OLD covenant with Israel. 1 the covenant was exhausted when ISRAEL was givin land. 2 the new covenant is that the Messiah would come through the line of David (the reason for all geneologies). That too was complete...

Welcome to the age of the Gentials, or non-Jews. The rules no longer apply, doesnt make the rest invalid...but that was a special law concerning those people at that time... If there was a way below youd get it here.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

re·li·gion
1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
2. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
3. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
4. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.

I don't think you know what you are talking about. Atheism is not a religion.

And for what you said, I understand it that the bible never specifically references homosexuality, do you think you could provide a book and verse where it describes it as "shamefull lusts".

Also read my original post, I never critised the Bible, I critised those who pick and choose parts to obey to fit their lifestyle and predecided beliefs. You are clearly one of those people, you have disregarded the laws laid down by god to man because they dont fit what you want to do. You want to eat pork and touch the skin of a dead animal, how are those leather shoes fitting you?

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
By saying you dont have a religon you are really saying you do. You are taking a stance on it, lets just call it a belief you dont believe in anything spiritual. Everything and all there is to this world can be explained through physical explinations. ok. Thats fine you have the right to believe whatever you want!

I also critize those who pick apart the bible and only choose to fallow only what they see fit. That however is not what is being done here with the old rules that the Jews followed, such as unclean meat. There is actually an entire story about when the jews became allowed to do such things. When he gave a vision to Peter (Acts:10). So yeah i eat pork, and dont really touch dead animals often, or wash the feet of others, but as for the laws fo the bible. Its the only thing that is holding this whacky world togther...Actually the only reason why we are here in the first place...as for the shamefull lusts hang on big concordance trying to find it

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Have to agree.. it is not easy to attack something that you know nothing about while others have great expertise. Furthermore your avatar suggests that you prefer the cerebral and physical aspects of existance over the metaphysical and spiritual aspects which is fine but it kinda takes you out of the topic to begin with.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I have to say form a catholic standpoint.... We hold nothing agaisnt homosexuals.

What we have a problem with is homosexual sex as the pourpose of sex is to be procreative and unative. A child will not come out of homosexual sex.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mizar
What we have a problem with is homosexual sex as the pourpose of sex is to be procreative and unative. A child will not come out of homosexual sex.

And another religious point I take issue with. A child will not come out of the sex I have with my husband. We cannot procreate. So, by definition, I guess you have a problem with that, too.

Procreation is not the only purpose of having sex. Period. If that were true, people wouldn't have it while the woman is pregnant. Infertile couples wouldn't have sex. Even good catholic, married, infertile couples have sex.

Scyman, gfad didn't say he was an atheist.

Homosexuality is not mentioned in any bible I've ever read. Neither is the phrase, "shameful lusts". The modern translations have taken all sorts of license with words.

As regards Moses' law, does that mean you can ignore all the other stuff there in Leviticus? Like Leviticus 18?

gfad I agree with you 100%. Any amount of wiggling out of which part of the bible to take as prudent and which no longer applies is simply making excuses to discriminate, in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

And another religious point I take issue with. A child will not come out of the sex I have with my husband. We cannot procreate. So, by definition, I guess you have a problem with that, too.

Procreation is not the only purpose of having sex. Period. If that were true, people wouldn't have it while the woman is pregnant. Infertile couples wouldn't have sex. Even good catholic, married, infertile couples have sex.

Even if a couple is said to be infirtile they may still get married and have sex as there is the UNITAVE aspect of marriage and sex also. It is however to be accepted that if a couple should have a child by some miracle then it is their duty to have the child and either put it up for adoption or parent it.

There is no issue between the Church there.

[edit on 7/2/2006 by Mizar]

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Even if a couple is said to be infirtile they may still get married and have sex as there is the UNITAVE aspect of marriage and sex also.

Can't there be a unitave aspect to a homosexual couple?

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Yes but there is no chance for a child.

but they shouldnt be having sex in the first place because they are not married and that is an option of sex greanted in marrage as sex is something granted for marriage.

you can pick and choose of the properties of marriage is both or you dont get married.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Yes but there is no chance for a child.

Trust, me, hon. There is as much chance of homosexuals having children as there is of my husband and I having one.
The same miracle that would be necessary for me to get pregnant could make a homosexual pregnant. Some of us just don't have what it takes.

but they shouldnt be having sex in the first place because they are not married and that is an option of sex greanted in marrage as sex is something granted for marriage.

What about in Massachusettes, where gay marriage is legal? Then they're just like me and my husband. Legally married.

Still no good?

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Hey thast why I said miracle. both my mother and father were said to be incapable of having children and they had me and my sister.

Nope still no good because im talking form the catholic standpoint and a legal marriage is not justified in the eyes of God.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   

a legal marriage is not justified in the eyes of God.

So my marriage is not justified in the eyes of God, either, right? I might as well be a homosexual according to your religion.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Im talkign about a CATHOLIC marriage you are talking about a civil marriage.

In a Catholic marriage the marriage is reconizied by God and the State however a civil marriage is only reconizied by the State.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I know what you're saying.

I'm just trying to confirm that according to your religion, a civil homosexual marriage (in the state of Mass) is the same as my civil heterosexual marriage because, while both are sanctioned by the state and by law, neither are sanctioned by the Catholic religion or God, because neither of us were married in a Catholic church.

Isn't that true?

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
well, I don't really know what to say....

Being a beliver in the Bible...not really much of a Christian, I can see where both sides of this arguments come from...

I personally believe that sex in itself is in general a sin...no matter the circumstances..because it brings into existance the lust of the flesh....

According to the Bible, and numerous religions, we are spiritual beings that are supposed to live for the/a/our spirit....

I have plenty of friends that are homosexual....so again, I see their side too..

I believe that all you have to do on this plane of existance is to love one another regardless of race/gender/religion....and to do what is instinctfully right....

If I choose to do what is instincfully right, then I don't judge anyone for what they do with their own lives.....regardless of what my personal preferences are...

Too many times, here especially, and in the world in general....each side of any argument always gets to angry to communicate.....we put up walls and do not listen to each other....

I'm sorry that you, Benevolent Heretic have been told you and your husband cannot conceive.....You may not even want to...I don't know...but I will tell you, that anything is possible....my wife's parents were told that they could not conceive....but they had her...sometimes we are too busy trying to explain away things, that our true purpose of being here is forgotten.....miracles happen all the time.....

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
yes BH that is correct except that one is "marriage" between man and woman and the other is man and man/ woman and woman.

But just because you are civily married doesnt mean your damed to hell or any of that BS. THats old uneducated nun stuff of pre vatican II times... haha.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by JSquared
I personally believe that sex in itself is in general a sin...no matter the circumstances..because it brings into existance the lust of the flesh....

We would have died out a long time ago if everyone felt that way.

If I choose to do what is instincfully right, then I don't judge anyone for what they do with their own lives.....regardless of what my personal preferences are...

That's cool. We need more like you, in my opinion.

I'm sorry that you, Benevolent Heretic have been told you and your husband cannot conceive.....

It's no problem. I only bring it up to counter the "procreation" argument that invariably comes along with the homosexual debate.

As I have said, it's physically impossible. I don't know how much more graphic I can be. IMPOSSIBLE. I no longer have the equipment. But I still love my husband and we have a close, intimate, 'unitive' relationship, within a legal, sacred marriage whether Mizar's God thinks it's ok or not.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I dont know what God thinks. No one really knows what God thinks and anyone who claims they do are either trying to win you over, insane, or a mystic and are telling the truth. However that is incredribly rare and doesnt really happen.

and its not "My God"

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
'Sodomy' is not about homosexuality --or at least it didn't start out that way--linguistics can and do literally change the meanings of words over time, when used without precision.

The unspeakable acts, which brought down swift destruction of a whole bunch of people, men, women, and children alike, attributed to the 5 cities on the plain had to do with 'unnatural affections' and sexual activities with 'strange flesh.'

Bestiality.

'Natural affection' is love. Plain and simple, unselfish, potentially heart-breaking, intimate love. Between two people who, because of their heart's affection one for the other, become as one. True allies and partners until the end.

This isn't a fleshly love--it is a deeper love, from the soul--and the soul is not 'male' or 'female.'

NOTHING about 'true' love--'natural' affection, which comes from the heart within--is BAD in God's eyes.

There are many vestiges in our current age (from flood to flooding) which are perceived by many as 'sin' on those who are afflicted with these vestiges...but the truth is, these things are the mental 'ghosts' from the things that happened in the antedeluvian era--but those ghosts, unfortunately, are manifested in the flesh because (as I said in another controversial thread of mine) we don't realize that it is our 'thoughts' that manifest later on as 'things.'

One vestige is manifested in the lives of homosexuals, transexuals, and even hermaphrodites: all of which are certainly more of an (undeserved) curse than a sin--an effect and are not caused willfully from an unruly nature--causing unimaginable confusion and distress in someone split into two genders in their soul--not something to condemn but to care for and cure with love and acceptance).

Think about the gods of ancient Egypt--which were actual entities/people/demigods in the previous Egypt in which the Sphinx was created.

Specifically: Hathor and Bastet; two goddesses who have women's bodies--Hathor has a cow's head and Bastet is a 'catwoman.'

All these forgotten gods and goddesses, of the world's ancient mythos in every land--Greek, Roman, Sumerian, Egyptian, etc--seemingly impossible beings who are often hybrids of many varieties, even Centaurs, Minotaurs, etc.--these are evidence.

But of course, no one wants to believe anything but the bible--as far as those who would so quickly condemn and judge homosexuality or whatever--but there is but one human race, one shared history, and the evidence is all around us! The bible doesn't contradict the remainder of the historical evidence (including mythos)--it just doesn't go into detail--aside from expressly forbidding a repeat disaster. It doesn't give reasons, either. But those that would submit themselves as willing students in order to be educated by the bible's lessons wouldn't need anything but the spirit of obedience. The main message in the bible is don't judge--love one another--be patient--have hope--trust in God. Those that condemn others for anything they don't understand are not reading the book the right way, or maybe not even reading the right book.

No one ever said everyone has to read the bible, you know. But if read, it ought to be applied toward something else besides self-righteousness and the delusion of personal right to judge anyone else. The only thing we need to remember, all of us, is the 'golden rule.' That's one sentence--no bible needed.

The vital point of the whole present age is that we become purified (as in our DNA aka souls), as the human race, from these things which cause so many heartache and distress in the present age--and not dull or sully the coming age with the same miseries.

[edit on 7/2/2006 by queenannie38]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join