It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal to fly this close to ground?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
After watching this clip and seeing a jet almost collect a truck, I started wondering if the law says it's okay for pilots to fly that close to the ground at those speeds while doing barrel rolls and whatnot?

Obviously they are doing it in a sparsely populated area, so are they allowed to do it there? Of course, even if it wasn't allowed they'd still do it anyway, but chances are if they did it over a populated area the jetwash would destroy houses.

Or perhaps the CO thinks Mirages are so crap that they deserve to be flown into the ground? I know I do

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Yes... I do believe it is allowed by military planes in such places where there are no peoples...

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
In Western Australia, you have to fly 1500 feet at a minimum...

...but that doesn't stop the odd "buzz" in a stunt plane at 50 feet over your neighbours house while they're hanging out the washing

It's good for the heart!

Theirs and yours

Cheers

JS

PS: Only do this in a rural area though.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Read on another site about a USN Pilot was flying a Chance Vought F-7 Cutlass above a suburban area, He was pulling stunts and sick moves in the airspace, Someone grassed to the local N.A.S and the pilot was either warned/suspended or charged. This was back in the 1950s ish.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
There are various laws in various countries. In Germany you're allowed to fly as low as you want to, but in Holland you can't go below 1500 feet, and above 400 knots (I think it's 400, it's pretty slow).

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Most countries have approved low flying training areas, so that aircrew can become familiar with flight ops at low altitude (especially interesting for those without TFR...). Typically this can be as low as 150 feet AGL, however there are occasions where it may be lower. It is quite dangerous, as the slightest mistake can lead to impact with the ground in less then a second, and as such manoeuvres are restricted to certain angles of bank. Speed usually isn't restricted, as long as it is below Mach 1.0. Most low flying is practice for pop-up attacks, though with the proliferation of better MANPADs, more accurate AAA, and the low alitude capability of new strategic SAM systems, you have to question whether there is any payoff in low-altitude training compared to the risk to platform and pilot.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
sorry - but GRs train at much lowe altitudes here in the UK. FWIW I grew up watching the Red Arrows train out of RAF Valley much lower. And to be honest its a music video - how much is real and how much green screen?

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silk
sorry - but GRs train at much lowe altitudes here in the UK. FWIW I grew up watching the Red Arrows train out of RAF Valley much lower. And to be honest its a music video - how much is real and how much green screen?

All of it looks real.

I've seen alot of music videos that pilots made of themselves flying, I know USN pilots have made music videos, I have one on my comp commemorating the F-14 Tomca, it's a 30 minute long movie, pretty nice.

Nice on the find, and yeah I would think they're allowed to fly that low.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
In the U.S. its 1500 ft. over populated areas and no restrictions otherwise.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
an raf pilot once flew a hawker hunter under tower bridge, he lost his wings for it though.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer70
In the U.S. its 1500 ft. over populated areas and no restrictions otherwise.

For military or that includes civilian too? Cause I've flown plenty of times below 1500FT over populated areas.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
IIRC it's 500 feet over the tallest building in the area, unless you're on the approach/departure path.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
That is obviously not in the U.S.A.

Many countries have unlimited altitude military training areas for their pilots (as does the U.S.A.). Training realistically in peacetime means more of them live in wartime.

The Mirage is a pretty good fighter aircraft, despite the denegration in this forum. It has many very good qualities. Anyone who says otherwise simply doesn't understand fighters, nad probably has never flown one or any OTHER fighter, for that matter. No aircraft survives for 50+ years IN SERVICE unless it has some sterling qualities, and the Mirage has done so in spades.

There are only three real disadvantages to a Delta wing fighter:

1) Poor low-level ride due to light wing loading in comparison with other planforms. many air forces simply ignore this and ask their pilots to get used to it. The number of 1 g bumps per minute verges on very uncomfortable, but can ge tolerated.

2) It loses speed rapidly in a hard turn; faster than other planforms, but DOES turn very tightly. So ... if the delta had good missiles, all it really has to do is get into a position from which it has a good shot, and the battle is won. As it happens, the Mirage accelerates quite rapidly and recovers well.

3) Higher takeoff and landing speeds unless there are canards or other lift-generating devices on the leading edge of the wing, like the Mirage 2000 series, they have leading edge high lift devices.

All of these traits are balanced by stability, good instantaneous turn abilitiy, solid strength, large internal fuel capacity, and other characteristics that endear the deltas to their owners. Once you are familiar with the takeoff and landing speeds, it doesn't seem to be all that difficult. You may recall the Convair F-106 served the USAF for around 40 years, and it wasn't because they didn't like it.

Nice video.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Hey Shattered,
Depends if anyone catches the number on your plane and if they report you.

Also if you are a fixed wing thee are usually more restrictions. If its a rotary craft then
there arnt alot of restrictions. I have seen lots of News Choppers getting the traffic
reports from altitudes they shouldnt be but since they dont bother anyone nobody cares.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
Hey Shattered,
Depends if anyone catches the number on your plane and if they report you.

Also if you are a fixed wing thee are usually more restrictions. If its a rotary craft then
there arnt alot of restrictions. I have seen lots of News Choppers getting the traffic
reports from altitudes they shouldnt be but since they dont bother anyone nobody cares.

I don't know, everytime I'm in contact with ATC, they don't seem to have a problem with my flying at 1,100 feet on a downwind. Then again, that is the traffic pattern.

Shattered OUT...

Dew

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I just saw this video of a stoopid low Harrier pass.....

oob.uk.to...

great!

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   
got this vid of a few planes landing at princess juliana airport...it must be a mad buzz sunbathing on that beach...wait until the end for the big planes and the last 1 is crazy...

video.google.com...

but as low as you can go..i think this is about it..

video.google.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Jeez, that one at the end is pretty impressive. That must have touched down about 100 metres from those people. Could you imagine how loud those engines would be!!

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Both ShatteredSkies. There are exceptions for PCZ's, airport traffic patterns, etc. If you were routinely flying below 1500 ft. you were in violation of the rules. You are lucky no one got your tail number and phoned the FAA or the police.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Out here where I live, in the sticks of south western PA, I wasn't uncommon for me to go out my back door and see the stunt plane of the boyfreind that was dating my neighbor flying at about 100 feet over my back yard, upside down. Probably illegal as hell, but it was always a great thing to see,

[edit on 8-7-2006 by Skullcrusher]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join