It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Polygraph Initiative Puts Police on the Spot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
As part of a new initiative to help fight corruption and espionage, the FBI will put police counter-terrorism task forces through the paces of a polygraph examination. The move is designed to identify and neutralize moles before they have a chance to threaten national security. Though polygraph results are often inadmissible in a court of law, due to concerns about their accuracy, they have become a favorite tool of law enforcement.

www.usatoday.com
The FBI will give lie-detector tests to hundreds of state and local police officers assigned to terrorism task forces across the country as part of a new effort to battle espionage and unauthorized information leaks. FBI Assistant Director Charles Phalen said the polygraph program was launched in the past month at seven of the bureau's 56 field offices where agents are teamed with local police to investigate terrorism.

The polygraph tests are part of an ongoing security crackdown following the conviction of former FBI counterintelligence agent Robert Hanssen, whose spying activities for Russia and the former Soviet Union went undetected for 15 years. He was sentenced in 2002 to life without parole.

Up to 2,000 state and local officers could be required to submit to testing, Phalen said. "There is no more powerful tool in our tool bag" than lie-detector tests, Phalen said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Lie detectors can be beat. In fact, trained spies are the MOST likely to have the skills necessary to fake their way through it. Unless the new technology has been fully implemented (which it hasn't, not to my knowledge anyway), this could be a totally hollow gesture.

I have other suspicions...

Perhaps this is a way to weed out dissent? I wonder what sort of questions will be administered, and whether records of the sessions will be kept. I'm also curious whether FBI agents responsible for administering the tests will be tested themselves.

New Lie Detector Tech Reads Brainwaves

[edit on 19-6-2006 by WyrdeOne]

[edit on 19/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
In case anyone is interested, here's some information on the operator errors common to polygraph exams, and a few notes about their reliability. Three links, arranged in order of their bias.

www.crimelibrary.com...

www.polygraphplace.com...

antipolygraph.org...

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Wow this is like something from Stalin's Soviet Union. If lie detectors are the only method these institutions have of protecting secrets then there needs to be a wider inquiry post haste!

This has the potential to be a political witch hunt and I dont think its fair that evidence that is not admissable in court could jeapordize an innocent man/womans entire career. It is not just, it is not efficient, it is not accurate, and it is ripe for abuse. McCarthyism for the 21st century.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Political witch hunt is a good term for it...

the thought police is another that comes to mind...
with the right questions, they could eliminate any vulnerable morally concious agents, that might be the type willing to become whistleblowers.

What a great thing, to ensure that the morally/ethically vulnerable agents, wouldn't be in the loop of any controversial programs...

geee... then why dont i feel safer?

And as has been mentioned... they are not fail proof... seems more like damage control of a specific type, than any protection added to our security...

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Does anyone know if this intitiative will take advantage of the new technology?

If so, it might actually be effective (though still objectionable to some) in preventing the sorts of leaks that have embarassed the FBI in the past.

I think the information sharing is a key part of this. The FBI puts its people through polygraphs, when they are responsible for handling some materials. They're talking about administering them to all employees with access to sensitive data, though I'm not sure if they've started with that yet.

Anyway, maybe the logic of the FBI here is that, if their people have to submit to the tests, then the police counter-terrorism liasons should also be tested.

It does make sense, when you look at it like that.

But pull out, to a broader view, and take into consideration the political climate..that's what makes it spooky.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Are you people kidding me this is awesome! finally the local law enforcement will understand they are not immune from the tyranny of the federal empire. Any abuses and hunting for dissent will leave them highly disgruntled and probably put them in the mood for some changes. In the event of a coming civil war, this will help put a great resource, local law enforcement on our side to battle against tyranny and opression from corrupt and evil forces.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Dyepes,

It's only applicable to 2k people, according to the articles I've read so far.

And besides, people don't side with the system out of love, they side with it out of fear. Fear of not being able to feed the family, fear of persecution, fear of being an outcast.

Anyway, no NWO will function as intended without some serious mind control. Human choice is anathema to control, it's a true wild card. Reducing or eliminating the scope of choice is first and foremost for any regime seeking to corral the people.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The police service is a para-military organization, one that demands its people act and think in the same fashion. Those that do not are quickly weeded out. If you do not at least give the perception of being a good little soldier, you're history. If you rock the boat more than once or twice (depending on the length of your service) you will quickly be cast overboard. Its a very interesting sub-culture to see in action.

new topics

top topics

join