It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Previously extinct rodent found alive and well (June 14)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Rodent

I just love it when these previously thought to be extinct animals show up as living beings. It really solidifies the idea that we have a long way to go when it comes to catalouging the different species of the planet.

Known as Diatomyidae, scientists have nicknamed it the Laotian rock rat. The creature is not really a rat but a member of a rodent family once known only from fossils.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Yeah, but it's just our luck it's a rodent. Why couldn't it have been something really cool, like a triceratop or a do-do bird...instead, we get another rat. YAY!

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Boy, would a triceratops be super-cool or what?

I think someone could PS this pic and make it into one:

lol

[edit on 15-6-2006 by Enrikez]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Somehow I just cant see a triceratop going unnoticed this long.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Special Rodent survives about 11 Million years, or more, and even lead us to believe they were extinct (clever Bastards...) and all we can say to them now is 'You're not cool. Why can't you be a Triceratops?' And then proceed to talk about Triceratops, whilst forgetting all about the Rattons.

I happen to think the special Rat is cool, anyway. I would advise it, and its fellows, to go back into hiding, and never return.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Yea, no kidding! Now that it has been found to not be extinct I'm sure it wont be long until it actually is after their home is over run with curious people.

Also, I think it's kinda cool myself. But a triceratops! Man, would that be cool or what?!! Imagine that thing crashing thru the fore....uh, yea! The rat thing is a great find.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
If you read the article, it says they first thought this species was not extinct when they found dead remains being sold for food.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
hmmm, been there , done that -- but no one cared a rock rats ass back then

see here : origional story

APE OUT

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

I apologise. I didn't see that thread. Had I done so, I can assure you I would have posted something. Good find, anyway.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

APE OUT

I still think people don't care too much. lol @'rock rats ass'!

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I'm surprised that we keep finding extinct creatures such as small rats and fish, but we cant find the big ones like Mokele-Mbembe or Bigfoot. These larger cryptids are 50x bigger and yet even more elusive than mice???

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 02:42 AM
link   
lol a rat but if it survived for 11 millions years then maybe there hope that some dinosaurs excist

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
Somehow I just cant see a triceratop going unnoticed this long.
I can.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
"Jenkins et al. (2004) reported the discovery of a wholly unique new species of rodent, Laonastes aenigmamus, for which they created a new family, Laonastidae." from Wikipedia.

I think they "found" the rodent first and then found out that there were fossils of the same kind.

top topics

join