It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Village

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I've recently been thinking would it actually be all that bad living in a vilage similar to that of M.Night Shyamalan's creation 'The Village' (fiction film featuring people from modern day living all wanting to put an end to horrors in the 'real' world and form their own village cut off from the rest of the world).

To me, I don't actually think it would be too bad.. I mean we live in a world with many stresses and strains, work all day, waste money on everyday items. If you could get skilled people and were willing to farm and work (only to earn something to trade or sell) would anyone actually want to live in such a village?

As you are sealed off from outside life no-one can cause havoc, no intruders, burglaries, murders, rapes.. just general peace. If many of the villagers were screened before hand or even knew each other would it no be tempting to say the least?

(Oh and general health care could be provided fromthe real world if someone got ill/ needed an operation etc)

[edit on 4-4-2006 by Knights]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I don't necesserily think general chit chat is the perfect forum for posting.. but hey! Would just like to know what people think of this ^^

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I think you should go to Amish country and marry into one of their families. No joke here. Amish life is much different than the stereotype. They live a quiet and austere life, choosing to do it without many of the modern conveinences. However, they need to earn a living too, and their belief does not prohibit them from using technology in the course of their employment, if it lies outside of their community. Heck, the Pennsylvania Dutch even have their own webpage!
So, the change is not so much in technology, it's the change in culture and the significance that culture places on technology which is different.

The Amish have respect not only for themselves and their culture as well, but everyone. Read here about how they rebuilt a neighbors farm, which was destroyed in a tornado, in only 15 hours and charged just the cost of the materials. You don't have to cut yourself off from society to live an austere, simple, and rewarding life. And you certainly don't have to follow in the steps of M. Night Shamilamadingdong (When you can't spell it, go all the way). In fact, I bet that the Amish who watched that movie laughed all the way....oh, wait, nevermind.

[edit on 4-4-2006 by TheGoodDoctorFunk]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Just checked it out. The Amish way of life does appeal to me greatly.. only afew issues mind..

- Having to speak or learn the Dutch local dialect
- No cars
- No electricity

Being brought up nowadays these things are the 'norm' it'd be extremely difficult witout these.. You think they'd make afew small exceptions?! lol

But yes that's similar to what I was talking about.. Is anyone else interested in this kind of thing or just me?? I mean i'd hate being isolated but would just love to experience such a commmunity. Anyone else?

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
That would be very interesting...it could be fun i guess...if you have a really good imagination...

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knights
M.Night Shyamalan's creation 'The Village' (fiction film featuring people from modern day living all wanting to put an end to horrors in the 'real' world and form their own village cut off from the rest of the world).

I didn't watch it, so thanks for ruining it for me...

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
It does sound to me like the ideal way of life, well... almost. Personally, I really would like to live in a house in the middle of nowhere, preferably about 10 - 20 miles from any towns/cities.

Ahhh... bliss.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knights
(fiction film featuring people from modern day living all wanting to put an end to horrors in the 'real' world and form their own village cut off from the rest of the world).

Plot spoliers! BOO BOO!!!
:shk:

new topics

top topics

join