It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help finding APC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I caught the end of a show on Military channel about APCs and they showed this really interesting wheeled APC on it. I didnt catch the name though

It looked alot like the APC from the movie "Aliens" very low profile. I think it was 4x4 (could have been 6x6) with rather large wheels and it could also be fitted with treads over its wheel which is what I found really interesting. I think it was a European design maybe French or German. It could have been a protoype and not something in service.

Does that sound familiar to anyone. Im hoping someone on ATS would know what im talking about and give me a name to find more information about it. Really interesting design I would like to learn more about.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   
how much did it look like the BMP? And did it have a turret or other protrusions that would make it more recognizeable?

For example: the Aliens APC had it's turret with w/e guns in it

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:38 AM
link   
No turret that I can remember but it looked alot like the Aliens APC more so then any real APC Ive ever seen. Really low profile and the wheels were very much like the ones on the aliens APC just about the same size and looks.

I was facinated by the wheels or thread concept of the design though they never showed it with threads that I saw, they clearly mentioned that.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Strange....

Was it some sort of amphib concept maybe? Lord knows the russians built alot of interesting prototypes in their day.

Grrr I wish my cable had the military channel on it, sounds entertaining at the least.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Looking more around it might have been a "Armored Reconnaissance Vehicle" rather then a APC.

This is about as close to what I saw as I can find. The German FENNEK
www.defense-update.com...

But no mention of if this can be fitted with track over the wheels. Looking at it I doubt its possible. I clearly remember that point because thats what got me interested in this new design

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
are you sure it wasn't a proto type pic of some unmanned armorred combat vehicle...

I'd have to dig but it sounds strangelly similar to a vehicle that was waxxed poetic about by ch 1446 in another thread also of northern european origin.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
If this thing could be fitted with treads as well I would say it was it

GPV Colonel

Even though I would have been way off on the number of wheels and it would have been american. This is the type of profile it had but with I think 4 large wheels instead of 8.

www.army-technology.com... llery.html

[edit on 31-3-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I'm not certain, but beleive what you saw may have been War on Wheels.

From the chariots of ancient warfare to today's most sophisticated armored cars, wheeled vehicles have given mobility to warfare. Travel around the world to examine the latest in armored vehicle technology.

That is the only thing I found on the Military Channel, that sounds even close to the program you may have watched. Mostly because you have a thing about the "wheels", and often the simplest solution is the correct one.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 04:46 AM
link   
That might have been the show since I caught the end. Its was either that or Firepowers "Combat Vehicles" show

The only other thing that stands out was some weird combat vehicle that had two drivers on in the front and one in the rear and they could switch off and drive the vehicle either way.

Both on 1 and then 1:30 april 4 so I guess Ill find out for sure then.

new topics

top topics

join