It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2001 was the best!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It was 1968, there were no cell phones, no laptops, no microwave ovens, not even bic lighters. When you picked your phone, your neighbor might be on it so you polightly put it down, this was called a party line, we shared phonlelines.
I was 10 years old and my dad took me to the Tacoma Mall Theatre to see
"2001 A Space Oddessy." It was on a wide screen with wonderful sound. I was blown away!! The visual effects like that had never been seen before. I went back and saw it several times after that, in fact my 5th grade teacher took our whole class to see it. Its a part of who I am today and what interests me 37 yrs later.
Strauss is on my IPOD.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I really enjoyed that film. I found it pretty amazing. The special effects were very ahead of their time, yet they were, for the most part, believeable. The only thing I really didnt understand was the ending, with the astronaut in the weird room/house, and the baby (it looked like a hybrid alien/human baby) floating through space. Any interpretations on this???

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
After you read the books it becomes clearer.
Does anyone know any other similair sci fi books?

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The Author Arthur C. Clark (The author responsible) has written some pretty amazing books along the same lines. He is definitely worth checking out.
I particularly enjoyed "The Nine Billion Names of God."

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Yes 2001 was a very good movie. In the book they originally go to saturn but changed it in the movie for some reason.
I wish they would make a movie out the fourth book in the series. 3001

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I read both movie and book.I love the movie version because it's very clear.This's the one which better than book!

Kubrick made it perfectly fine and I wanted to see it in the theater this modern day.

I just thought Kubrick wasn't an human ,thought he came from outer-space who can made such an amazing film that not old in the 2000.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
That film still beats just about any other movie to this day. Since this is a conspiracy board, seems proper to mention the 'quasi-documentary' Kubrick, Nixon & the Man in the Moon. This was apparently shown on a French and German satellite TV channel and was about topics such as the Moon landings being faked, and who might have filmed them and how. I read about it in UFO Magazine.

The other day I saw this website here, and the photo in question does indeed seem to show a pile of other space photos -

www.911studies.com...

What's weird is that Leonard Rossiters (Rigsby out of Rising Damp) character in 2001 asks about the Moon-related conspiracies going on in the movie, and then later when HAL is shut down we hear the message with the information that the astronauts were not made aware of and would only have heard once they reached Jupiter.

Another thing I notice about this film is the references in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (by way of two other Kubrick movies) - there's the scene in the rotating bar where the Strauss Waltz is played in the background! (the rotating bar being like the running machine in 2001), and the part in the hotel where Dr.Gonzo puts on one black glove to phone Lucy - Dr.Strangelove wears one black glove on his other hand in that film, and Peter Sellers plays him plus two other roles, and in Lolita plays 3 distinct characters who are all the same person. Well it makes sense to me.

new topics

top topics

join