It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa: 'Are we alone?'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This is an article directly from the NASA website. After reading it I feel as though disclosure is not that far away. As even Nasa is now admitting to the fact that we are not alone. This is stemming from new data acquired by Nasa and 'new' solar systems and planets found. Short and intresting read everyone.
Nasa; Are we alone?.

MOD EDIT: Corrected misleading title

[edit on 24-3-2006 by AgentSmith]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
It doesn't say anything about the fact the we are not alone, all it says is that they will be building instruments that will be able to detect earth like conditions if found.

Nowhere on the site does it say we are not alone, it says "are we alone?"
Getting ahead of yourself there mate.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Hmm after reading this article I dont feel that disclosure is coming anytime soon. However it does give a simple explaination of what NASA has planned for the next 15 years which is still interesting to know. Hopefully they will find something worth while, lets just hope they are willing to make it public.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Your headline makes it sound like an announcement from NASA that life has been found, and that's just not the case. Here is the bit from the bottom of your link.

We will analyze the atmospheres of these distant worlds, looking for carbon dioxide, water and ozone. The substantial presence of all three gasses would suggest that life is present.

Such a discovery would at last provide convincing evidence that we are not alone.

EDIT: I see mclarenmp4 posted that while I read the link.

[edit on 23/3/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Yes, Yes, I must admit, I must of got a little carried away
But it just seems to me that they are doing as much as they can to 'tell' us in an indirect way. Regardless, this was an intresting read I thought. Sorry for the exgageration.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
This had my hopes up. I was really hoping we "officially" weren't alone anymore. Oh well maybe some other time...

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
If this site short bussed threads to a remedial sub forum, I fear it would be filled up every day.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
With the projects on the drawing board for the near future, and some of the stuff going on right now, if they're out there, we should find them.
I think the new Allen Telescope Array holds a lot of promise.

Because of its ability to study many areas on the sky at once, with more channels and for 24 hours a day, the Allen Telescope Array will permit an expansion from Project Phoenix's stellar reconnaissance of 1,000 stars to 100 thousand or even 1 million nearby stars.

The fundamental idea behind the Allen Telescope Array was hatched during a series of workshops held in 1997 - 1999 in which a group of scientists, engineers, and technologists considered how best to pursue SETI in the coming two decades (the SETI Science and Technology Workshops). The scheme they favored was to fashion the telescope as an array of commercial satellite dishes. Because of the enormous market for these backyard metal mushrooms, they are surprisingly inexpensive when purchased in quantity. The Allen Telescope Array will consist of 350 antennas of 6.1 meter diameter each, resulting in an instrument with a collecting area exceeding that of a 100 m telescope.
www.seti.org...

This is an artist's impression of what the array will look like from the ground.
Though the actual dish assemblies look a bit different with a partial shield.

And from the air you get the idea of the scale, and how big it will be.

I'm not sure how many are completed and standing yet, but I had read that testing was being done on the initial erections to see if any modifications are needed in the design.

With all this effort going into answering the question of "Are we alone ?"
The answer has to come soon..........

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
AnxietyDisorder; I am was not aware of this new project. If you know, are these things going to be build and financed by the government or private? Where would the location be? When is the projected start up date? I don't know if you know the answers to these but get back to me, I am intrested.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Check out the link in the "External Source" box for an overview.
This is an amazing project that is privately funded by two of the founder's of Microsoft.

Wikipedia has a good entry for it:
en.wikipedia.org...

But check the Berkeley site as well:
astron.berkeley.edu...

Big discoveries will come from this big telescope..............

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Anxiety- I just read it and it looks like an amazing idea. I however, have a differing view point of the productivity of this project if and ever it gets going. I might be wrong but SETI is in a sense the same thing? And from what I have read in the past they picked up a signal before but the good ol' USA did not permit them to disclose any of the information or the origin of the signal. Granted, microsoft people have much more money than SETI how will they differ from SETI? And in my belief anyone with a substantial amount of money would be able to acquire any kind of information they seek. Let's not forget 'There is a price for everyone' and I doubt that if these people wanted answer to there questions than they could acquire them through different means. Maybe, and just maybe, this is being funded by the government and would be operated by the government and use Microsoft as a public excuse. Now, this is only my opinion and I thank you Anxiety for the intresting read. Thank you.

new topics

top topics

join