It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC 100% usage only on ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   
This has happened several times now and Im confused...not sure where it coming from.

but any ways.

I go to web sites and all is fine surf them have no problems but 2 or 3 times now I have been on ATS site and my laptop fans kick in for excessive long periods (IE never stopping) check process and it shows cpu at 100% IEexplorer.exe is using 100%.

I have few other explorer pages open some times but on ending the process it only closes the ATS one and after it is closed my Fans and cpu level drop.

This is weird....Can someone explain this to me lol.

[edit on 28-2-2006 by minority2000uk]

[edit on 28-2-2006 by minority2000uk]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Does it happen on every ATS page? Try refreshing or going to a different page--it may just be an ad. That's about the only thing I can think of at least...

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by minority2000uk
I have been on BVA site

What site is BVA?

it only closes the ATS one and after it is closed my Fans and cpu level drop.

What version of IE are you using? What page was it? Was something still loading for that page?

I've noticed some of the "Skyscraper" ads (the tall ones at the left) from our new ad network provider, Advertising.com, have trouble loading a frequency-cap code snippet from Doubleclick.com from time to time. My Safari browser indicates one item wasn't loaded. I've put these ads in an iFrame which should correct the performance issue on ATS pages, but not for the banner itself.

Some older browsers have difficulty doing anything else until all items for a page are loaded. It might be a good idea to see if you need an upgrade.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
sorry skeptic got confused with a gaming clan web site lol....I meant ATS.

I think it might be th ads as well.

The only other thing i can think of is a never ending loop.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Or if the hard drives working over time and your processor is as well you may have to do an anti virus scan on your machine.

On the other hand, you may just need to update IE on your machine to stop the freezing of the process from happening. Make sure also your direct x and Graphic drivers are up to date. Mundane stuff but essential.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
There's a lot of talk about his HDD OT, or UPD'ing IE/DX/etc, Virus / Spyware ...... he did state this only happens at ATS. I have also a little 133mhx, Win98, stock DX, onboard Vid, no RAM to speak of, and ATS CPU usage is stil negligible.

You can try MS's "Toggle Images" app. It's a simple 30kb single file exe. I have it to email, or can direct you to the page at MS for it.
Click the exe, no pics in your browser at any site. Click again, pics are back.

This 'may' help find out if it is ads/etc from this site.

That app is also GREAT for dialup users, as you can still, if the images are turned off, right click on an image and click show picture.

You can also, without another app [Toggle Images], simply do that in IE Options / Advanced tab / scroll to Multimedia, untick "Show Pictures". Reopen browser and check the usage. This is assuiming you run IE6, I forget the term it uses in IE5x, but it is still in the Advanced tab.

Ironic ya know, I went to post this once already, a tip about Internet Explorer .......... and mine crashed !! lolol

NN

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Maybe try a different browser?
Firefox and Opera are nice alternatives
Both are faster than IE.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Maybe try a different browser?
Firefox and Opera are nice alternatives
Both are faster than IE.

If you MUST use IE, why don't you try version 7. It is very much like firefox with tabbed browsing and is very fast...for IE.

While you are at it why don't you try M$ defender (free antispy software)

links to both at ats:
www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
hey guys my harddrive is doing nothing at all light is not flashing and no noise.

I hve current upto date antivirus scanner (avast) spyware cleaned last night runs nightly.

eh it seems to have slowed down/ stopped although it is stull fluctuating between 5% and 40% seems high for a pretty static page.....

guess it was a weird instance of coding or something.

Laptop spec is.

3200+ amd 64, ati 200x, 100gb hd, 1gb ram, XP pro.

my only other guess is that it might be interfearing with my test .net server on this laptop...(Honours project).

Since writing this it seemed to have stoped....maybe cause I was reading the athiest thread about no such thing lol....

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I have noticed the same problem - but ONLY when I have more than one window open in ATS. ...Seems to have something to do with my ad blocker?

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Seems to have something to do with my ad blocker?

Why are you using an ad blocker on ATS?

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by soficrow
Seems to have something to do with my ad blocker?

Why are you using an ad blocker on ATS?

Crud. Busted. I knew that would happen.

...I have one on all the time for everywhere - not just ATS. I DO click on ATS ads to support the site - just hate pop-ups. And FYI - some of your stuff gets through anyway.

Yesterday I had a voice come out of nowhere (well, it was the speaker, but there was NO pop-up) and say something about how "we" were "going to get together again." Truly creepy.

Sorry. It's just general self-defense.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Ahh that's the valentines day ads still on...

Advertising.com should know to refresh their ads to be more current..

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I do think I had two ats browsers open.

I mainly use explorer due to my work since you cant call windows authentication through other browsers.

Ad blockers out of intrest aint they built into explorer and google bar???

lol...the two blockers above never work I always get pop ups.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I've noticed the same thing while on ATS with Firefox. I also noticed it sometimes happens when viewing Flash content, but I'm not sure if any of ATS's ads are in flash or not.

Since the same thing happens in Firefox, it's probably not a browser problem. I can't try to reproduce the problem since, well, I'm not using Windows so IE isn't on my computer.

Edit: forgot to mention that I haven't noticed it lately, the last time would have been a few days ago

[edit on 28-2-2006 by UnknownOrigins]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownOrigins
I've noticed the same thing while on ATS with Firefox. I also noticed it sometimes happens when viewing Flash content, but I'm not sure if any of ATS's ads are in flash or not.

Flash ads can definitely peg your processor especially if you have many windows or tabs open at once, though the severity depends on the specific browser/os you are using.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
better watch what we are saying at this rate lol we will get banned for slagging off ATS lol....

only thing i can think of is the ads that about it. at most I have max 5 browsers open usually

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Each time I go on ATS, all the pics aren't showing up anymore. I just have text and also the webpage are looking stuck on an eternal opening process,as if something wasn't opening completely and always trying to open.

I stayed out of ATS about 1 month and I didn't change anything to my PC but a new ISP. Anyway, I've this new " problem " only with ATS. All the other websites where I go have their pics showing up and are running fine as they used to run before I took a new ISP. I'm confused.

P.S : I've I.E 6.0.2800

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Is this UP back again??? Our own Belgium waffle?

Long time no see UP,

My suggestion, try another browser, I don't have any problems on Opera or Firefox, or upgrade to IE7 (if your a sucker for stress)

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I have current upto date antivirus scanner (avast) spyware cleaned last night runs nightly.

What spyware and adware programs are you using again?

A point here, avast is one of the most pathetic antivirus solutions i have ever seen. I have tested this myself and it misses huge amounts of viruses, especially if they are hidden using varies "off the shelf" Wrappers or more exotic methods. Get a decent antivirus like nod32, kaspersky or even norton or mcafeee. every one of these is better than avast, despite the reviews you may have read, trust me.

Another point. I am running a 3.2 GB pentium with 2 GB ram, 256 MB Graphics, 3x 300 GB Segate Hard drives and varies other great hardware, i'm even using a Bigwater cooling system with the vga block. Yet when i click on ANY webpage my processor momentarily goes to 100 percent processor usage. I believe this is more a fault of windows than the page using all your processor. I can run a game minimised, run an avi file, play some music in winamp and run a word document all at the same time and still my processor runs at about 60 percent at most, but whenever i run a web browser my processor goes nuts according to windows.

About this site and pop-ups, i am using ad watch from ad aware set to maximum and i have no problems with ads. if i ever do get ads i use my usual ad watch with firefox and nothing gets through. You have to set the programs correctly to stop things.

[edit on 28-2-2006 by ImaginaryReality1984]

[edit on 28-2-2006 by ImaginaryReality1984]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join