It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll says Brits are the world`s dullest people!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   

full story

LONDON, England (UPI) -- The British got some nice news and some not-so-nice news from an international poll showing they are tops in culture but the most boring people on Earth.

Some 25,907 people in 35 countries participated in the Internet poll done by international marketing company GMI and branding expert Simon Anholt.

What an absolute crock! The most boring people on the planet? No
way!
This coming only a few days after naked rambler Stephen Gough finished his seven month trek from Lands End to John O'Groats!!

Boring? I'd Like to see some foreigner say that to Frank Gallagher!

And before any foreigners come on here slagging us off, just remember where ATS originates from!

mod edit: added external tagsQuote Reference (review link)
Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ** (review link)

[edit on 23-2-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Didn't you guys invent cricket and golf?

*Runs off to avoid flak*

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Hrm, guess the polls didnt account for things like the awesome techno/rave scene, football, beer-loving-mentality, and other such things that in my mind would make the Brittish seem like quite a fun crowd.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
We sure are! We also shouldn't be allowed the most cultured either, the streets are littered with chavs and rubbish.

In fact, I hate Britain, I love our history, but anything that has happened WW2 onwards should be forgotten.

I reckon we should win the award for crappest Western country.

Fairwell from the country that still thinks it's great, but isn't!

EDIT- Golf was the Scotish, do some research before making accusations that we invented the most boring 'sport' in the world!

[edit on 23-2-2006 by Zanzibar]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Sorry Zanzibar, but Scotland is part of Britain! They did invent golf though, shame on you Scotland! Cricket however, we do have to shoulder the blame on that yawnfest

[edit on 23-2-2006 by ridcully]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I know, I was just being thick.

As long as you stay out of the towns and cities in Britain it's alright, less chance of getting stabbed.

[edit on 23-2-2006 by Zanzibar]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
Hrm, guess the polls didnt account for things like the awesome techno/rave scene[...]

You guys have the best techno scene on the planet

But what were you guys (Scots) thinking when you invented golf? Have you watched that Robin Williams stand up show where he theorized some drunken Scotsman invented golf? That was beautiful

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
As a former raver I can second that! Man theres some awesome clubs in the UK. My favourite has got to be the Que Club in Birmingham. Closed now but never to be forgotton

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Dull?? Even with cricket... well... guess no one has ever been to a sunday game... drank cider and special brew and still looked forward to the tea interval ! ( Awaking on monday morning and having to check the tv before work to find out who won ! )

Or to a major city on Saturday night to sample the night life ..ie Liverpool.

Should I go on...

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
EDIT- Golf was the Scotish, do some research before making accusations that we invented the most boring 'sport' in the world!

Hey, leave golf out of this. What other sport can you play liquored up off your arse?
Avid golfer here and I will not stand for any more of this tom foolery!

Great thread. If you can crack on yourselves you're alright in my book.

Peace

JAK

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Contrary to popular belief the 'Rave' has been enjoyed for many, many years:

Dull? Just count of all those ribbons and bells, look at the natty headgear. Suit up brothers and sisters- let's show these people.

Jak

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
And don't forget..........The Abbots Bromley Horn Dance

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

...rugby...and football too....what makes it even worse is that we're bobbins at all of 'em

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

*Runs off to avoid flak*

How
typical. Another 'lets bash England' thread.

May I respectfully suggest that you put pen to paper, finger to mouse button, nose to the grindstone, spectacles to eyes and do some
research before you make alarmist statements like the one above.

The Scots invented golf, as has already been pointed out, but those frog eating, garlic growing, beret wearing French
, invented cricket!

We English on the other hand, invented soccer, tennis, and rugby. We have regretted that ever since.

In fact, we have invented loads of things - the world's first steam engine;
the motor engine, and Mr Ford used it in his motorcars; the radial engine for WWI fighters, like the Sopwith Camel and the SE5A.

Our culture is multi racial and on the whole, most people love this country.
We have diverse musical tastes, superb food outlets excluding McD & Burger King, our carnivals were second only to the Mardi Gra(?)

Our academical colledges are quite possibly the best in the world and let's face it, they have been going for much longer - Eaton, Oxford, Cambridge and of course, Westminster School. Then we have Cheltenham Ladies Colledge, Denmark Road School and Dean Close School in Gloucester that are amonmgst the top privare schools in the world.

Are we snobs and the most boring people. Well no. I think it's the
French.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
You guys invented tennis? No you didn't, the guy to lazy to set up his ping pong table so just stood on it invented tennis!

Thats how sad tennis is, you just need to be to lazy to set a ping pong table up and there you go, tennis.

And as said you uh, bleedy git,(is that correct Britianese?) Scotland is part of Britian!

Although Monty Python came from Britian, but then went to America because Britian was to boring.(Kidding! I don't know why they came here)

Also, soccer(futbol) is soooo boring, why do you think there are always fights and riots in the stands? They get bored, they think hey, going to a sport, should be able to release some testosterone, instead they find soccer, and need a different way to release their testosterone.

[edit on 23-2-2006 by DevinS]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
The Scots invented golf, as has already been pointed out, but those frog eating, garlic growing, beret wearing French
, invented cricket!

The poll said Brits. That includes the Scots.

Didn't know about the French connection to cricket. You sure about that? One of your fellow countrymen earlier admitted in this thread that you guys where responsible for that "yawnfest".

I thought the French invented tennis, or ten-nez as it was once called. I could be wrong...

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
lol nice poll, i think its funny actually - i can't understand why people are getting wound up about ONE poll though!!

i can find loads where the yanks come out the 'dimmest' and the 'fattest'

[edit on 23-2-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevinS

And as said you uh, bleedy git,(is that correct Britianese?)

[edit on 23-2-2006 by DevinS]

Er no, it would be,

You bloody git!

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz

How
typical. Another 'lets bash England' thread.

Come on now. Like there aren't plenty of "yank" bashing threads running around.

I disagree with the poll, I love British people, I think they are hillarious. I always have a jolly good time when I converse with the British.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevinS
And as said you uh, bleedy git,(is that correct Britianese?)

Its You bloody git and it's correct English...*ruffles copy of The Times* anyone for tea?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join