It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan....losing its identity?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I found this interesting article posted in "Newsweek" 2-13-06 issue. It is titled "Turning Un-Japanese". The title caught my interest because like many "Westerners" (U.S., etc.), I have this dillusional (not sure that is the word i'm looking for), view of their culture.

Believing that their culture embraces their history of tradition and manners, I was surprised to read about how the youth has transformed to be just like American youth.....the bad manners, no goals, losing traditions, etc.

The movie, "Lost in Translation" gave us some kind of view how life is changing in Japan.

As one older gentleman stated in the article, he fears their traditions are "lost forever"

Globalization is being blamed as causing a weakening in family bonds as well.
According to the article, Japan has embraced many Western traditions such as Halloween, and Christmas. I find this kind of weird?

Here is a link to the full article:
www.msnbc.msn.com...

I think it is kind of sad that this is happening. Any thoughts on this?

Faeryland

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Look at the crazy products that come out of Japan. I think they are losing their history, whcih is sad. No culture should lose their history and traditions. A lot of it does have to do with globalization, but its not anyone else's fault but their own. Its no one else's job to keep their culture alive but themselves. I havent seen "Lost in Translation," have heard of it thought. Ill check it out to try and get better insight into exactly what you mean.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
That and theres a fear of China in the far east. Theres bound to be pro-japanese articles floating around to try and stave off the communist giant.

What I find intresting is the fasination with technology out there, some of the youths end up with a complex where all they want to do is drone out in front of screens and not leave their rooms... Ok, kids over here are like that but there was a program about it in japan and it really is something else.

The most crazy tv shows.
Odd electronic stuff/lights EVERYWHERE

I wouldn't be surprised if something goes a bit hay wire but as said, Chinas growing fast and its something that'll scare those people... They've got Japanese Nazis belive it or not.

mod edit: removed inappropriate .com site

[edit on 10-2-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rebel_Lion

I wouldn't be surprised if something goes a bit hay wire but as said, Chinas growing fast and its something that'll scare those people... They've got Japanese Nazis belive it or not.

Rebel-Lion,

What the heck are you talking about?? I'm confused......

Faeryland

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faeryland
I was surprised to read about how the youth has transformed to be just like American youth.....the bad manners, no goals, losing traditions, etc.

What traditions is America losing?
I agree with you on goals...Your in high school and they keep doing different polls on computers to try and find your interests to find a job that fits you...one you probably cant see yourself doing. Then High school is over and you still dont know what you want to do...So (for the time being) you get a low paying job working somewhere you dont like...and 5 or more years go by and you think its to late for college, and are getting paid an ok, but still below average amount being a manager...and you just stick with that job. That happens to tons of people.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
well i guess the dominant culture is bound to spread everywhere in the world. though, japan does have an extraordinarily strong culture off its own, when compared to many other countries.

but whats happening, i'd say its more like the cultures are mixing up. its happening everywhere in the world though, so nothing to "worry about"

japanese culture is quite different, and somehow fascinating. it does influence the western world as well. i think everyone has seen those youngsters dressed in some manga/anime style of gear. i do see a growing interest in japanese culture all over the world, atleast among the youth.

but anyways, all the cultures from all over the world are slowly starting to mix up with each other due to globalization. its something we cannot stop and in my opinion shouldnt even be trying to. i dont really see anything bad in it.

just my 2 cents

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faeryland

Originally posted by Rebel_Lion

Rebel-Lion,

What the heck are you talking about?? I'm confused......

Faeryland

Half of my post was removed. Eaten by a vengeful mod.

I'm saying that theres a diffrent mindset in Japan than there is out here in the west. Forget the Nazi part, they worked with hitler on that bit and I tried to remove it but the vengfulness of the mod didn't allow it.

Do you normally get confused Faery? I can see you as being the light headed type.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 04:09 AM
link   
They started to lose their culture in 1868. But in 1950 it was not japanese culture but a blend of japanese and western culture

new topics

top topics

join