It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin boasts of Russia's missile power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   

"Russia ... has tested missile systems that no one in the world has," the ITAR-Tass, Interfax and RIA Novosti news agencies quoted him as saying at a news conference.

"These missile systems don't represent a response to a missile defense system, but they are immune to that. They are hypersonic and capable of changing their flight path."

I didn't know Russia had already tested missile systems before,I thought they weren't allowed to?..Mutual assured destruction?

CNN LINK

mod edit:

Quote Reference (review link)
Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ** (review link)

[edit on 7-2-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
The threat posed by Russia is so '80s...

Who really cares? Yeah they can destroy us 500x over but we can do the same or worse to them...

The only threat is on the fringes, where each of us battle groups and/or nations that pose a problem to our own respective situations. I doubt any of those conflicts or potential conflicts would ever lead to real global thermonuclear war between the U.S. and Russia.

edit:

I should add that Russia no longer has any ideology that really makes it any different from the West. Communism was never enough anyway, and now they don't have anything. On the other hand, something like Islam could impel a nation to launch nuclear weapons against us, and if we retaliate...well they just all get 72 virgins!

[edit on 2/1/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Talk about an unnecessary missile. Russia has always had a tremendous number of Nuclear Missiles that would completely overwhelm our ABM systems via saturation. There is no need for this missile.

[edit on 1-2-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
oh Sorry,I thought the first quote meant they had already tested missile "Defence" systems before....anyway,if the U.S can get powerful enough lasers into space then it shouldn't matter how fast or maneuverable Russia's missiles are,lasers should still be able to shoot them down because lasers go at the speed of light....right?

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
True, Russia does not need this technology, ut they are undoubtibly implying this might be for sale to nations that wish to use a handful of nukes, but have them hit their targets in the US.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
dont see why they need them
they have enough missiles to wipe the US and the rest of the world out over (same goes to their counter part in the west)

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Well the Topol-M has made the US ABM look like a joke. The US will have to start from a cleen sheet for a much more advanced ABM to counter Russia's Topol-M and Bulava ICBM's.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I agree this is unnecessary, but it would really depend....

They are just looking to improve their inventory, and modernise their military.

This new missile is very fast, accurate and agile - they just want to keep themselves on top of things.

Maybe it was even invented for other purposes.....than delivering nuclear warheads.

As for selling it to other countries....I sure as hell hope they don't, because last I heard the SDI cannot shoot down these missiles, because it doesn't have enough intensity.

Maybe they just want to prove a point - that the SDI is useless, and that other countries will also find ways to make missiles immune to it?

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Everyone boast of missle power.
We have china, russia, Iran, Israel, US, etc., etc.

Then what? they use it and we all blow up?
One day they will wake up and put aside all this silliness.

Until then, stay centered in yourself (peace of mind) and things will be fine

Gods Peace

dalen

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raideur
True, Russia does not need this technology, ut they are undoubtibly implying this might be for sale to nations that wish to use a handful of nukes, but have them hit their targets in the US.

Interesting point
For Russia a missile system of this type is of little value with the sheer number of missiles they could launch any missile defense would not be able to cope and would be overwhelmed. But to a nation with a small missile inventory like N Korea a system like this could be worth its weight in gold.

Its not like even this tech will make missile defense obsolete though when you consider a laser travels at the speed of light and have really no limits on how strong they can be made. In theory No missile can ever move fast enough to evade it. You will just need better and faster targeting systems.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Militarys will always improve technology in missiles, lasers etc etc, these could be handy in future when we go into space.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Well the Topol-M has made the US ABM look like a joke. The US will have to start from a cleen sheet for a much more advanced ABM to counter Russia's Topol-M and Bulava ICBM's.

Now why go and make such an irresponsible comment with no other motive but to incite?

Lets see some test results first before we claim anything here. Also, as has been stated before the US ABM system was not designed to counter Russia and its missiles, meaning that we don’t need to redesign it for a mission that it was never intended to do.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Russian Navy can put to sea about a dozen ships, the rest are in need of heavy maintenance, and the remainder are scrap, if not sinking dockside. The Russian Air Force has not taken a new aircraft in quantity in over 20 years. It will soon be half the size of the US Air Force in active aircraft. The Army, it's equipment, the Strategic defense Air defense forces, even it's BMDS warning system, are all dated, rotting, and not functional to the level it once was, and no where near the US.

What I am getting at is that Russians have to be able to point to something to be proud of. Let them have it; Yes it is unnecessary, and of no real use to anyone, including Russians unless they sell it. They are in no shape to attack the US, and they are no threat. The US can wipe Russia off the map just as it allways could, and Russia could to the US. What the Russian government does have to worry about it justifying it's existence to it's population. Making a big deal about a new weapon, innovative as it is, accomplishes this.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
This would make sense to me since the missiles russia does have a liquid fuel ones which have a limited life. They had thousands of missiles in the 70s and 80s and maybe early 90s but i presume with the lack of funds and the age of the missiles most of them will not be very effective or even explode on lanuch. But none the less a massive arensal but not the size of the soviet one

Good resource

This link give s a good breakdown of missiles

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
This would make sense to me since the missiles russia does have a liquid fuel ones which have a limited life. They had thousands of missiles in the 70s and 80s and maybe early 90s but i presume with the lack of funds and the age of the missiles most of them will not be very effective or even explode on lanuch. But none the less a massive arensal but not the size of the soviet one

Lack of Funds
! There was not ba single missle of 70s or 80s that we launched in 21st century and was faulty. All the missles hit perfectly their targets without a single problem. So dont make stupid assumptions such as (most of them will not be very effective or even explode on lanuch. )

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian Boy
Lack of Funds
! There was not ba single missle of 70s or 80s that we launched in 21st century and was faulty. All the missles hit perfectly their targets without a single problem. So dont make stupid assumptions such as (most of them will not be very effective or even explode on lanuch. )

Oh they did, did they ? Any information to back you up ?

Launching a couple of missiles which no doubt have been thoroughly prechecked, does not guarantee the reliability of the entire force. I doubt all the tests were successful, how would you know if they hit their targets and how accurate they were.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Russian Boy,

Ever heard this one. Third world power in superpowers clothing

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
uhhhhhh guys i read somewhere this is not an ICBm but a hypersonic cruise missile the Minuteman 3 ballistic missle can already go hypersonic speeds

read under modern ICBM's the para that goes once the booster falls away

en.wikipedia.org...

and also chec out the minuteman 3 ICBM www.fas.org...

and another source

www.astronautix.com...

new topics

top topics

join