It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The power of children?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Last night I had alot of activity in and around my appartment(nothing out of the ordinary).Anyway throught out the events last night i started thinking.

This is in regards to when we are kids and the baddies come out to play as they always do.What did you do?

This brings me to the magical blanket shield of faith? I would always and still to this day sometimes hide under the sheets.

When we are young and not so full of ideas and information it would seem that we are more succeptable to having untarnished faith in certain things,such as this blanket thing.

Hiding under it as the evil floats under your room praying to whatever that it doesnt get you under this blanket.

Now as far as a focus point.The person or child in question usually asks for protection under the blanket hoping that whatever it is cannot pass that barrier. Anyway I hope you guys think on this one a little
I will come back and reply soon!

Scarecrow

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I would think that as a kid you would have more ideas than you would as adult? You might not have the information, but surely the imagination to create multiple ways of hiding from any kind of monster.

I did the hiding under the blanket thing as well. My head could be out of the cover, but my neck and body had to be covered, and the blanket had to be tucked under my body so nothing could get in.

I never once, however, thought of demons or monsters that any religous aspect could help me with. I knew who God was, and what Demons were, but they never played a role.

I was also afraid of Gremlins. I thought they would bite my butt when I was using the bathrrom. So I had to run out of the bathroom very fast. I never found something to help me with that one...

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Hello Toro
We meet again, very interesting post. Well my kids when little was always calling me back into their room at night because of being so scared. They finially asked me "Mommy what did you do to help yourself to not be scared when you were little?." Because of all my numerous times of telling them that they have Jesus & the Angels to watch & protect them, they still like most of us were scared. So I was a little relieved at their question, so I told them, when I was little I would take my Trusty Old Blanket and cover myself completly around me head to toe, with only a little peek hole so I could see out of. This also keeps the spiders & mosquitos from being a menace too I told them! In the summer I would trade the trusty blanket for a sheet. After sharing this with my children, I hardly had to go back into their room they felt safe. I also told them to keep their Bible under their blanket too, that it would also remind them about who really keeps them safe! May not work for all, but it did for mine! Mom & Dad finially got some well deserved sleep! Hope this helps someone.
p.s.
After a hair raising experience, I'm back to using my trusty ol blanket again, its better than sleeping with the lights on! lol

[edit on 26-1-2006 by AngelWings9999]

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Hi neighbour... i think children are more intuitive and possess a sort of "sixth sense" they lose as they grow... because of this sense, under certain occasions they know what to do, but not why.

So, i think, they feel when there's something they have to protect against nearby, and know what to do: invoke the light, saying a prayer, and build a shield, but since they don't usually have proper knowledge, they use the sheet as a shield... after all it should work, since it's a material mean to obtain the psychic protection they need.

After all, as long as it works (or should i say as long as they are able to make it work), they don't necessarily need to know why...

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
From the age of five to about 7 or 8,I used to sleep under my parents bedroom door.Now I was terrified of the things in the basement(down the hall) but i dunno.
As far as I remember I think I felt more protected the closer to my father i was.

Inanna as far as gremlins are concerned could you deligate?

Both me and my brother used to have horrible dreams of gremlins in the basement, though we didnt talk about it for years(we arn't that close).

I was terrified of the basement and the dark for most of my life.On the other hand.I have always strived to conquer this fear which eventually led to me stepping into that fear and learning about the things that once scared me.

Is it not interesting how children can pick up new technology and ideals and use them at a faster learning curve than that of an adult?

I will talk more on this soon....

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Hello toro
That is interesting isn't it, in your last sentence about children & technology learning faster, I thought I'd share this with you! My son & daughter as well have (abilities) or maybe the correct term is gift! They have many times helped my husband & I with new technology like for instance VCR, DVD, Camcorder,PC etc, you name it! They never read any instructions, they just hook them up to the tv or like with the new PC just put it together without help. My son started this by about the age 3, 4 - I'd be like what are you doing, as I walked back in the room, shocked, amazed at his ability. He had just connected our New VCR, Sterio speakers/surround sound all to the TV! Worried at first he would break it! lol He would simply say Mommy I know what I'm doing! I be like how, who showed you? His reply no one, I just know! Now at 21 their isn't anything he can't do or fix! I was spending hundred's of dollars on my pc, & when he was only 7 years old, he heard me say to my hubby - the pc goes back to the shop in the morning, will probably cost another 300.00 by the time were done the man said. I forget the part that was needed, but when we all went to bed, he got up and went in the cellar, and took a part out from another pc we wearn't using and went to work for who knows how long, by the morning he had put in the new part, and also fixed numerous problems that I was having to my utter amazement!
My daughter had the same abilities without having to read instructions, but she hasn't attempted taking my computer brain apart Yet lol! But when it breaks and if my son isn't visiting I'm sure she would have no problems!
How do they do this? Is it like someone who has the ability to sing? Or like someone who can Paint Manificantly? I'm starting to think it just might be no difference, a gift is a gift! They are Blessed! My Dad is an Artist, a real good one at that, has sold many paintings, my gift is the piano, but as I'm thinking it all is done with the hands hmmmmmmm! Still amazing that small children as young as 3 has such technical abilities. If you have any answers to why please let me know! Thanks

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Children have power, believe it. I think it has to do with the fact that they are actually much closer to God than we (older people are).

Kids know way more then they let on, too.

My dad died when I was five. Whenever I'd go stay with my grandparents, in the house my dad grew up in, they'd stick me in his bedroom. For at least two years, before I would go to sleep, I would make my grandmother check the closet and close it tight before I would go to sleep. I was afraid of what was in there, I guess, metaphysically speaking. (his clothes were still hanging in there, btw)

I grew out of that awful fear b/c they sold the house and took up full time residence at the beach house.

It was truly creepy, tho. And I don't even know why.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Children have power, believe it. I think it has to do with the fact that they are actually much closer to God than we (older people are).

I couldn't agree more. They have been unspoilt by all the pre-conceived ideas that society drums into us.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Now there's a child who literally left me speechless... i'm still wondering how he managed to do what i'm about to tell.

Well, as said in some other topic, a dearest friend of mine owns a hotel (well, actually, his mother and aunt own it, but it's the same). More or less three months ago i had booked a room by him, since we had a work to do and we needed to do it together (we live in two different cities, of course).
One morning, his little cousin (who isn't 2 yrs old yet) was by the reception, held by his granny's hands, gazing and playing with all the telephones, pens and papers... he wasn't absolutely paying attention to me.

So, i left my room key at the magnetic board where all the keys were kept.
Seeing me, the grandmother said: "William, give to this mister the key of his room".
With all my amazement, this little boy took the RIGHT key without hesitation and gave it to me. I was so amazed i almost didn't manage to get it.
Then,the grandmother told him: "Now put it back".
He took the key from my hands, picked the little metal plate used to attach the key to the board and put it back. Perfectly.

Amazing!!

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Children have belief. They feel safe under those covers and don't think about why or the validity of it. When you KNOW and BELIEVE something to be true - well... we create our own world. Understand?

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Outstanding thread.

If we picture a child hiding under their blanket, all humans would naturally feel emotions of empathy and association with that child. We all know what it felt like to be under the blanket hiding from "monsters" when we were kids.

I think the question as to the invisible protection of this child is obvious, be it Christ or Krishna or Gaia, etc. It's the simple, innate fact that at our core, humans love little kids. This doesn't change when our souls detach from the flesh. It remains a core part of the soul.

So yes, I do believe there is a magicality to childhood, and also that the innocent faith with childhood entails, can actually cause real protection. Real protection in the form of a 'random' event that somehow delivers a child from their peril, for example.

Having said that, one could argue that real-life horrors done to children are a counterpoint to this idea and that there is no such protection. In answer to this thought, I would suggest that death and birth are two sides of an ever turning coin. If you believe in rebirth, then as the Gita says, there is no need to grieve for the murdered, for they are immediately taken away from all pain. This applies to abortion also.

Seen in this light, one can see that children are protected in both life and death. In life, their innocence causes persons/spirits of all persuasions to be benevolent and kind to them simply because they are children.

In death (if they encounter true evil from the 'monsters') they are still triumphant, protected and cared for, in whatever heaven you choose.

In case you haven't noticed, I firmly believe in a life-review or totalling of one's actions in their life. I think that children are disconcerned with life (and able to therefore enjoy it truly) because of their innocence. This is something we lose over time, as karma forces us to make choices.

Perhaps it is in the grasping of adulthood, and the acceptance of self-determination, that removes us from the innocent joy and protection of childhood?

[EDIT]

I re-read this post and realized I missed the allusion toward the blanket being "charged" with magical power. I'm not sure if I believe that part. I was speaking more metaphorically in my barely-lucid comments above.

toraylin, I am not sure if items can be charged with magical power, if that's what you meant with your original post. I've read about it, but not observed it. I'm not sure spirits are denied by talismans.

I don't know if "holy water" is holy, you know?

[edit on 28-1-2006 by smallpeeps]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Kids have the power of knowing, they have a limited description of the world but a view that is unimaginable.

Great thread indeed, "todays parents will be tommorows children".

[edit on 28-1-2006 by menguard]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I feel the same as most of you here - children are closer to "God" than we are as adults.

My 2 year old actually understands the concept of God. We are not a particuarly religious house hold, but we are Christians.

Her insights are very inspiring to me. It sometimes feels like I have thought the same things about God before, but have somehow forgotten them, if that makes any sense.

Ok, for example: A couple of weeks ago we were watching TV. Just sitting around, hanging out together, that kind of thing. She turns to me out of the blue and says, "Mommy, my glad I got to come to you , not the other Mommy." (That's how she words her sentences, cute, huh?) I was shocked and said, "Me too!" Then I asked her what other Mommy and she said the one God showed her. Then she said that she likes Daddy too! LOL

Kids are great and quite amazing. Who knew.......:-)

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Children are truely powerful, I have an area in a room of my house that is a circle with the colors of the elements. In the north it is Green and represents earth, in the east it is yellow and represents air, south is red and represents fire , west is blue and it represents water.

My 5 year old grandson came in the room the other day to visit with me and starts walking around this circle, he says as he walks around it widdershins (counterclockwise) starting at blue and says to me, this is water, he then steps in the red and says, this is fire its hot, he goes to yellow and says flowers (I always wondered why yellow was air but after that I though, flowers in a field, blowing in the wind) he steps to green and says grass.

This was his interpertation of the four elements colors, without any prior knowledge. My jaw dropped to the floor and I said, "do that again for grandpa" and of course he did.

They are so innocent, and so magical...

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I was touched by all of the beautiful things people said here about children. They are magical! Its all about belief.

I can remember once at age 5 being separated from my family and in a foster home. Everyone else there was much older than me and I had no one to play with. I thought if I only had a pony or horse to play with everything would be perfect.

Each night for three nights I prayed silently to myself that when I got up in the morning I would look out my bedroom window and in the backyard a horse would be there.

On night one and two I looked but there was no horse..but I did not give up, because I was praying to baby Jesus and he liked to ride around on donkeys with his mom, so I knew he would understand. Like you said I believed in magic, it was real to me.

On the third morning I looked out my window and the sun was shining off the back of a little horse that was tethered to a stake in the yard! I ran outside in my pajamas and started petting her and untaggling her hair with my fingers. Talk about joy!

My foster mom came out and told me that some friends of hers had to go on an emergency family matter and had asked that we look after their horse for a month. I was given a brush and a bag of carrots and the horse was put into my care and we became great friends and that was the best job I ever wished for!

I suppose it could have been a coincedence or maybe even a subconsious premonition that a horse would be coming and I just wished into it. Who knows, who cares? The horse was there!

*I bet children's dreams come true a lot.*

There was this other thing that happened to me from age 5 until around 12, when I put my ear to the ground I could hear music. The music of the earth. (a little like opera, and folk music combined with all the sounds of grass moving and earthworms digging..hard to describe). I have talked to a couple of other people who have heard it too. Also, someone told me that age 5 is a very powerful psi age for children.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I always had my spirit guides (back then I called them imaginary friends) to explain to me all the bumps in the night, comfort me, and tell me everything was going to be okay.

Famous psychic and ghost buster Echo Bodine suggests to give kids who are seeing negative spirits a can of air freshener. She says that in order to get rid of a negative spirit you need to not show fear and to show that you have power over them. While the air freshener doesn't really have magical ghost fighting abilities, it makes the child feel that they have a special weapon which in turn makes them feel like they have power over the negative spirit.

I have never had the opprotunity to try the air freshener thing myself, but it seems to make sense.

[edit on 29-1-2006 by snowflake_obsidian]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I always had my spirit guides (back then I called them imaginary friends) to explain to me all the bumps in the night, comfort me, and tell me everything was going to be okay.

I had spirit guides or imaginary friends also. One lived in a tree...I used to always bring the tree gifts and put them at its foot or on the branches.

As far as protecting kids I would teach them to follow the same measures as adults do to protect themselves from spirits, protective white shield, etc. I agree that any symbolic thing like hairspray or a cover or shield is great too. As long as it empowers the child its a good deal.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Inanna
I would think that as a kid you would have more ideas than you would as adult? You might not have the information, but surely the imagination to create multiple ways of hiding from any kind of monster.

I did the hiding under the blanket thing as well. My head could be out of the cover, but my neck and body had to be covered, and the blanket had to be tucked under my body so nothing could get in.

I never once, however, thought of demons or monsters that any religous aspect could help me with. I knew who God was, and what Demons were, but they never played a role.

I was also afraid of Gremlins. I thought they would bite my butt when I was using the bathrrom. So I had to run out of the bathroom very fast. I never found something to help me with that one...

wow this describes me as a kid to the T....i would always do that especially the tuck the blanket thing..ha ha and even the bathroom thing..maybe if it were all true as kids, we knew alot more on these things then if an adult would...if you believe in reincarnation ..then youd know what i am talking about. the fact that you are enlightened at birth and with age you start to foget it...learning things like monsters arnt real and such..i wonder.maybe certain things are true and we only fear them as kids because we have the feeling they are real more when we are young an more aware.. cuz maybe somewhere inside us we already knew they were..that is until we grew out of this...its like my moms friends daughter..she is pretty damn spychic...she was one like one years old and saying things that didnt make sence to us..im not going to get into it but my mom was seeing this guy..since my mom was in the process of getting a devorce it was mostly a secret amongst everyone..in other words we NEVER talked about him..and if we did we would us call him by T..the first letter of his name...anyway to the point...her daughter would go blank in the face and start to talk..(at one mind you)..and say things about this man that only even my mom knew...so what im saying is..it started to happen less and less with age and im wondering if one day she will forget about it..never realizing that she could do these things....wat do you think?are there demons and is it that as kids we only recongize them cuz we know they are real..and then grow out of it not remembering that they are..and thats why we dont fear them as much?..cuz hell i know if i saw one i wouldnt hide under the blanket id scream at it to get out of my house...~kiliker

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Yes, i think that we all, at one point in time or another have hidden under the blankets/sheets. i do sometimes.
I pray, to the Lord out loud, cause Demons dont know what your thinking, and praying for protection out loud, shows them, that your not afraid, because they can hear you, but it also shows that you have faith that the Lord will protect you. I do all the time, considering that i actually see demons every several days. at least i dont see them the way a friend of mine see's them, full, 3D, physical looking ones. but another thing i do to feel safe, if i cover my body with my blankets, except my head, and then keeps my eyes closed, peroid. you cant see whats there if your eyes are closed, right? the only way then would be that they move things, or physically touch you to scare you, other than sight of course, but i havent experienced anything like that.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Okay so now that we all remember some sort of experience.And to the person who said something about the blanket being charged with majic.In
this case what I meant is that by some means we awere granted or thought we were safe under the blanket,where this power or protection comes from i dunno neccessarily.

The next point I would like to come to on this is.The sense so to speak.

The sense,or anything like it comes in many different forms, Does anyone remember the under the stairs thing,the abandonned house thing,whatever.

Anyway,all of these areas have much potential for housing the things that we percieve but cannot always see.

Here's the interesting point id like you all to ponder here.What really stops this fear,also what is realy causing this fear.Now don't think like we all do now try to look at it where you were.I was afraid because I knew that there was something there.Now as children we also can sense much that is good aswell,but what really makes us not think this way anymore?

Is it sense....No pun intended...

Sorry all I have been very busy..Don't worry I'm in the shadows....

Scarecrow.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join