It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assyrian Tree of Life as precusor for Sefiroth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
  • Parpola S. 1993. The Assyrian Tree of Life: Tracing the Origins of Jewish Monotheism and Greek Philosophy. Journal of Near Eastern Studies. 52(3) pp161-208

www.savefile.com...

Basically, the author, from the University of Helsinki, is trying to figure out where the kabbalistic tree, the Sefiroth, comes from. He notes that it bears a structural similarity to the various representations of the Assyrian tree of life. He tries to reconstruct it with the proper Assyrian gods in the place of what, in my superficial understandings, are the emmanations of the Supreme Being that are the nodes of the sefirotic tree. He is able to match the characteristics and sterotyped phrases associated with the assyrian gods with these kabaalisic nodes to a good degree. When he adds in the numbers of these gods, he is able to get even more information out of the sefirotic tree, information that comes out because of the hexagisimal assyrian system that is lost in the decimal system of the modern kabbalah. He is also able to interpret/decode some classic assyrian/sumerian myths with the assyrian version, such as the epic of gilgamesh, and hint at the possibility for a long standing and previously unknown esoteric tradition amoung the sumerians and assyrians.

In doing so he mostly is able to suggest that jewish philosophy stems from this, but also can show that some thought in later greek philosophy is indebted to it also.

Intruiging read, it has copious citations and good appendixes. Seems like something would take a few readings to get a real handle on.

• posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:25 PM
    link   
    I was recently thumbing through Godfrey Higgin's(a FreeMason and Druid) "Anacalypsis", and saw that he conducted quite a bit of research in regards to the connections between Kabbalah and the Assyrian and Syrian religions.

These two large volumes are definitely worth checking out if you're intrested in this subject(he mentions that much of the material is hard to comprehend without first reading his "Celtic Druids").

One interesting thing he noted is how Syria and Assyria, sound like Surya(Sun, Gods) and Asura(non-Gods, or demi-Gods).

So perhaps there's a relation here regarding the battles between the Suras and Asuras, as seen in the teachings of Buddhism and Brahmanism.

members.tripod.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:54 PM
    link   
    Nygdan~~you're totally correct.

There is only one 'tree of life' even though it's seen in many forms throughout world religions. But Sumeria --> Chaldeans --> Hebrew Kabbala.

All the same thing--but a global mystery, no doubt.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 10:37 PM
    link   
    Well, I wouldn't say that I'm right, perhaps Mr. Parpola is the one who is right.

The idea is very speculative, and I am not familiar enough with the kabbala to really be able to say anything one way or another.

BUT (oh, here i go anyway), I sometimes get the impression that we don't fully appreciate the interconnections between 'greek mythology', the religions of asia minor, the assyrians, babylonians, the really ancient hebrews and cannanites, the minoans, that whole hodgepodge that is called the eastern mediterranean. I mean, you hear about God thundering from the mountain, and then you see the pagan texts about the Storm God ruling from the celestial mountain, and you have to be in awe, if nothing else.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:52 AM
    link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
    Well, I wouldn't say that I'm right, perhaps Mr. Parpola is the one who is right.

Okay then. But still you recognized the possibility.

The idea is very speculative, and I am not familiar enough with the kabbala to really be able to say anything one way or another.

Not knowing how familiar Mr. Parpola is with such things--I still hope he wouldn't speculate with qualifying it as such. And your link is working for me.
    It says 'File ID is not valid' Otherwise I'd check it out.

Just going on what you said, though--he is on the right track--and I'm not speculating.

BUT (oh, here i go anyway), I sometimes get the impression that we don't fully appreciate the interconnections between 'greek mythology', the religions of asia minor, the assyrians, babylonians, the really ancient hebrews and cannanites, the minoans, that whole hodgepodge that is called the eastern mediterranean. I mean, you hear about God thundering from the mountain, and then you see the pagan texts about the Storm God ruling from the celestial mountain, and you have to be in awe, if nothing else.

I agree. There really isn't enough appreciation for the Jewish mysticism and even just their common Judastic faith--because it is far more like these ancient and impressive ideas--than it is to 'christianity.'

All those peoples, anyway--they are essentially the same as far as where they came from and what they believe--including the Hebrews. And Greek included as well as Egypt.

The similarity that I see, more than anything, is in regard to the deification of Egyptian royalty, Sumerian royalty, the Greek gods of mythology as compared to the 'Elohim' and the 'Nephilim.'

new topics

top topics

join