It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SUBTROPOLIS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Subtropolis is a huge underground commercial complex involving (50) different companies and more than a thousand staff.

SubTropolis was created through the mining of a 270-million-year-old limestone deposit. In the mining process, limestone is removed by the room and pillar method, leaving 25 foot square pillars that are on 65 foot centers and 40 feet apart.

The pillars� even spacing, concrete flooring and 16-foot-high, smooth ceilings make build-to-suit facilities time and cost efficient for tenants.

SubTropolis is completely dry, brightly lit, with miles of wide, paved streets, and is at street level.

www.huntmidwest.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I bet FEMA is drooling over this...

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I have to wonder how not seeing changes in day/night, or weather would affect workers over a long period of time. Also wouldnt it take a massive ventalation system to keep the fumes from cars and heavy equiptment from building up over time?

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I'm sure it is heavily ventilated. It would require large fans to remove the vehicle fumes. However, I don't know that the daylight thing would be an issue. Many people work in an environment that does not provide them witha window to watch the change in daylight. I also don't think the employees are confined to stay in the underground facility for long periods of time.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It would appear that every amenity has been provided.

CONSTRUCTION QUALITY

bright warehouse lighting levels.

dehumidified buildings.

complete electrical systems with warehouse outlets, battery charging stations, etc.

fire sprinkler systems.

[Edited on 1-10-2003 by quaneeri]

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 12:30 PM
link   
There are many such underground facilities in the KC area. Park College has an underground library, and access to several building basements and such. And you can drive through it. Due to the wonderful limestone deposits and the many hills in and around KC, there are many many many warehouses built in the side of the hills. I think even Blue Bunny ice cream is that way.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 12:34 PM
link   
crayon.

Thanks for the info.

Do you have any links to these sites. ?

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 01:23 PM
link   
That is one hell of a building, more suited to a storage space because of the lack of walls (yes i know drywalls take a couple hours to put up, but its not exactly a blast shield) Underground storage is cheap and reliable, i can see more storage companies moving down this avenue.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 02:09 PM
link   
These guys have spent a fortune but also stand to collect some nice rents!! 5 million squ. ft is a massive complex..

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 02:11 PM
link   
cool i would like to know how long it will last if its dug out from stone how long will it take to deteriate?

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I would bet they sold the limestone as well.
Hell of a businessman. Makes money on both ends

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Here are a few (SUBTROPOLIS) Movie Clips.

1. "Roadway Traffic"
www.huntmidwest.com...

2. "Roadway Security"
www.huntmidwest.com...

3. "Typical Warehouse - Forklift Preparing a Shipment"
www.huntmidwest.com...

4. "Traffic at Intersection"
www.huntmidwest.com...

www.huntmidwest.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 05:20 AM
link   
hmmmm but that is extremely interesting what if that is how the government make there underground bases

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 05:29 AM
link   
There is something abit wierd about. It kind of reminds of that city from that 80's film, "Logans Run".

Is this facilty only being used as a warehouse for companies, or will have outlets and living quarters inside?

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by quaneeri
Do you have any links to these sites. ?

I wish I knew of websites for some of the places. I really only know about them because I used to live there. Though there should be a website for Park College, hmm.

Park University (oh well I have not been there in a while):
www.park.edu...
www.cyburbia.org...
www.monolithic.com...
www.monolithic.com...

Hmm, an interesting list of underground buildings:
www.subsurfacebuildings.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 11:53 AM
link   
crayon.

Thanks.

Exellent links.

Parkville, Missouri - Parkville Commercial Underground

Gallery

www.cyburbia.org...

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrEisenhower
There is something abit wierd about. It kind of reminds of that city from that 80's film, "Logans Run".

Is this facilty only being used as a warehouse for companies, or will have outlets and living quarters inside?

MrEisenhower.

At this stage it only appears to be a warehousing facility.

It looks to be close to most ammenities.

There are:

33 restaurant operations within a 3-mile radius .

8 fuel/convenience store operations within a 3-mile radius.

10 hotels/motels within a 5-mile radius.

top topics

join