It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shifting Magnetic Pole.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
We may be looking at a major shift of the North Pole in the next 50 years.

www.sciencedaily.com
North Magnetic Pole may shift

Earth's North Magnetic Pole has moved nearly 660 miles out into the Arctic Ocean and the pole could shift from Canada to Siberia, Russia.

However, the shift would occur in the next 50 years and the rapid movement of the magnetic pole doesn't necessarily mean the planet is going through a large-scale change says Oregon State University paleomagnetist Joseph Stoner.

Stoner examined sediments -- magnetic particles called magnetite -- that record the Earth's magnetic field at the time they were deposited. Using carbon dating and other technologies the scientists can determine approximately when the sediments were deposited and track changes in the magnetic field.

"This may be part of a normal oscillation and it will eventually migrate back toward Canada," said Stoner. "There is a lot of variability in its movement."

Stoner reported the findings at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I know this spells doomsday for some people. I couldn’t find any scientific sites with information on Pole shifts at this time. All I can find are doomsday type sites regarding pole shifts.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   
The magnetic poles do constantly wander, but it seems from what I've read that we are likely beginning a magnetic pole reversal, as there are numerous magnetic anomolies that match patterns of computer simulations of what occurs as the poles begin to reverse. Who knows how long the process will take though...

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Ugh...hopefully we won't have another discussion on polar reversal. Based on data from the magnetic strips straddling the mid-atlantic rift and the sun's own polar reversal that I think happenes roughly every decade, there will be a weakening of the poles followed by multiple poles being formed. The earth's field will never be at zero charge, but it will be weak. The poles are weakening and moving, with the north pole moving about 10-40 km a year.

It will certainly not spell doom for life on this planet. The majority of those who say it will are basing this on their belief that in a reversal, the magnetic field would disappear for a short time thus letting in all harmful radiation from the sun. You should check out what I was posting halfway down the second page of the link at the bottom. I think I went into the shift in some detail as did a few others.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 10-12-2005 by zhangmaster]

new topics

join