It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is the reality of swordfish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
if you've seen the movie swordfish then you'd know what i'm talking about otherwise go see it first and then come back and read this.

How far do you think the war on terror has to go before we have something along the lines of the minute man overseas carrying out swordfish scenarios. How much hate against the arabs would it take for an american antiterrorism group would form to go find the likes of bin laden and take them out.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
In some respects, there already are. There was that group of Americans posing as American soldiers who had their own makeshift prison and torture/interrogation rooms in Afghanistan. I forget the ringleader's name, but he was quite the character- even claimed to have been on the trail of bin Laden himself. I know they appeared before a judge in Kandahar but I haven't heard much since, like if they were tried, convicted and sentenced yet.

But I would think that with the millions in rewards, as well as the hero status that would likely be bestowed upon the captor of bin Laden, there are other mercenaries out there searching cave to cave. However, unlike in the movie Swordfish, I doubt there are organized criminal networks robbing banks here at home to fund their murder of terrorists abroad.

On another Swordfish note- my favorite line was by Travolta: "Never mistake kindness for weakness." Great line that I love to use myself sometimes. If you haven't seen the movie yet, rent the DVD. There's a couple alternate endings that are pretty cool.

Maybe if there are more attacks on American soil and it appears that our leadership are unable or unwilling to take the necessary moves to protect us and go after the terrorists, we could see a Swordfish-type scenareo playing out. Of course, if you believe the things you read on ATS, then the CIA has been pulling those kinds of moves for years. Selling drugs in America, selling missiles to Iran, etc., all to fund covert missions abroad. Maybe thats where they got the idea for Swordfish from!

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
think about this

The Us has or had an image of being more civilized; in order to maintain this would it not be in their interest to have these groups out there doing their dirty work and to help them achieve it as long as it was in the goverment's interest. if things got too hot the goverment could always say, oh they are just some fanatical renegades and were doing our best to stop them!
Also i don't think they are out here robbing banks but thanks for the reply

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Gosh! I just saw that movie a couple nights ago. Things that make you go hmmm? Since it is now 2009 and clearly hollywood has been making spy flicks to entertain us with bits of facts strewn here and there. Government operations, spy cliques, black budget operations, etc. being the backdrop to many of these films.

Swordfish, the movie, starring John Travolta (again) reveals an intriguing scenario regarding black budgets, US government's hidden role in stopping terrorism through the implementation of terrorism.

Interesting also that this thread and another one were begun years ago and received only a smattering of replies. I wonder why?

Check this link for some memorable quotes from the movie. Then compare them to the "conspiracies" popular on this site. Exciting, eh?

Stanley: It's not gonna end like this.
Gabriel: Oh, come on, Stan. Not everything ends the way you think it should. Besides, audiences love happy endings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gabriel: Have you ever heard of Harry Houdini? Well he wasn't like today's magicians who are only interested in television ratings. He was an artist. He could make an elephant disappear in the middle of a theater filled with people, and do you know how he did that? Misdirection.
Stanley: What the *snip* are you talking about?
Gabriel: Misdirection. What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gabriel: You know what the problem with Hollywood is? They make #. Unbelievable, unremarkable #. Now I'm not some grungy wannabe filmmaker that's searching for existentialism through a haze of bong smoke or something. No, it's easy to pick apart bad acting, short-sighted directing, and a purely moronic stringing together of words that many of the studios term as "prose". No, I'm talking about the lack of realism. Realism; not a pervasive element in today's modern American cinematic vision. Take Dog Day Afternoon, for example. Arguably Pacino's best work, short of Scarface and Godfather Part 1, of course. Masterpiece of directing, easily Lumet's best. The cinematography, the acting, the screenplay, all top-notch. But... they didn't push the envelope. Now what if in Dog Day, Sonny REALLY wanted to get away with it? What if - now here's the tricky part - what if he started killing hostages right away? No mercy, no quarter. "Meet our demands or the pretty blonde in the bellbottoms gets it the back of the head." Bam, splat! What, still no bus? Come on! How many innocent victims splattered across a window would it take to have the city reverse its policy on hostage situations? And this is 1976; there's no CNN, there's no CNBC, there's no internet! Now fast forward to today, present time, same situation. How quickly would the modern media make a frenzy over this? In a matter of hours, it'd be biggest story from Boston to Budapest! Ten hostages die, twenty, thirty; bam bam, right after another, all caught in high-def, computer-enhanced, color corrected. You can practically taste the brain matter. All for what? A bus, a plane? A couple of million dollars that's federally insured? I don't think so. Just a thought. I mean, it's not within the realm of conventional cinema... but what if?

Memorable Quotes From Swordfish, the movie. 2001

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Another search on the terms "swordfish the movie" resulted in this link to Warner Brothers website. I didn't realize the same producer of The Matrix, Joel Silver, also produced Swordfish. Operation Swordfish

Biography of Joel Silver Very interesting. Check out the movies he has been involved in since the 80's.

Synopsis:

"There exists a world within our world.
A world beneath what we call cyber-space.
A world protected by firewalls, passwords and the most advanced security systems.
In this world we hide our deepest secrets, our most incriminating information, and of course, a whole lot of money.
This is the world of Swordfish."

That's where Stanley Jobson (HUGH JACKMAN) enters the picture. One of the two best hackers on the planet, Stanley has been forbidden to get within 50 yards of the nearest electronics store after doing time for wreaking havoc on the FBI's controversial high-tech cyber surveillance operations. Now Stanley is living out his life in a broken-down trailer, penniless, alone and without the one thing that gives his life meaning - his daughter Holly, whom he lost in a divorce. Gabriel and his beautiful partner Ginger (HALLE BERRY) lure Stanley into their clandestine world, baiting him with the one thing he can't have - a chance to reunite with Holly and start a new life. But once Stanley enters their world, he realizes that nothing in this operation is what it seems and he has become a pawn in a plot that's a lot more sinister than a high-tech bank heist.

Have any of you seen the movie? I would love to discuss it and its implications.

join