It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Earthquake Strikes Central China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
This is breaking news, so I do not have much info. At least 5 people have been killed in a magnitude 5.7 earthquake in Hubei province. Many buildings have been toppled, ranging into the thousands and the death toll is expected to rise.

news.bbc.co.uk
A magnitude 5.7 earthquake has hit part of central China, killing at least 11 people, state media reports.
The official Xinhua news agency said the quake hit Jiangxi province at 0849 local time (0049 GMT).

The epicentre is reported to have been in Ruichang city, near the border with Hubei province.

A local official quoted by the AFP news agency said thousands of buildings in the area had been toppled, and hundreds of people injured.

Up to 8,000 rooms were destroyed in Jiujang county in the quake, the official said.

In China earthquake damage is measured not in buildings but in rooms. A rural dwelling typically has between two to three rooms.

The US National Earthquake Information Center registered the quake at a magnitude 5.5.

Shockwaves were reported to have been felt as far as Wuhan, an industrial city on the Yangtze River, 100km (63 miles) away.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I do not have much to add at the moment apart from my hope that the death toll is not that high, but I fear it may be with reports of thousands of buildings collapsing.

EDIT: The latest info seems to indicate that as much as 4000 buildings may have been destroyed. The only consolation is that it was rush hour, so we can hope that many people will have been out and about going to work, rather than at home or in the office.

Latest death tolls have risen to 11 people, but I am sure this will rise. However, it is relatively low when compared to the Earthquake last month in Pakistan where many thousands died.

[edit on 25/11/05 by stumason]

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Lets hope that the death toll doesn't rise much further.

Any geological types out there shed any more light on this region, like how earthquake prone it is?

Could there be a link to recent earthquakes throughout S E Asia in the past year?

[edit on 25/11/05 by stumason]

apc

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I have a feeling every major quake in the region that makes the news is related.
Due to the currently hot topic of China's former leaders desiring war with the US, the conspiracy theorist in me tosses a couple more points on the "Earthquakes as a weapon" speculation chart.

I'm still waiting for "the big one" here in Missouri, USA. The greatest magnitude quake in recorded history took place about 300miles from me in the "bootheel" of Missouri, known as the New Madrid fault. In recent months there have been a couple small tremors in the state. History says the New Madrid is long overdue for a massive shaking.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Well APC, the conspiracy theorist in you may be well interested to know that Hubei is one of the latest areas to be swamped with the Bird Flu. Combine those two disasters and it does not bode well for the people.

top topics

join