It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

V wing styled plane

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I was wondering if anyone has any info on a US experemental plane that has a V wing style to it. I have seen it before and heard of it but cannot remeber its name. Any help will be much appreciated.

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 04:00 PM
link   
It think that the Aurora may have a V style. Look it up on google.

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Do you mean the plane with the wings facing the opposite direction than most conventional planes?

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 04:15 PM
link   
i think you mean delta-wing, the first usa delta-wing aircraft was CONVAIR (General Dynamics) F-102A "Delta Dagger"

[Edited on 22-9-2003 by SectorGaza]

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nans DESMICHELS

looks like an oversized f-117

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NinjaoftheNight
I was wondering if anyone has any info on a US experemental plane that has a V wing style to it. I have seen it before and heard of it but cannot remeber its name. Any help will be much appreciated.

Stealth Bomber perhaps?

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Haha, nevermind, SectorGaza beat me, and got a name for it too. Good Job!

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 07:35 PM
link   
In my humble opinion, you are either thinking of the X-29 or the recently announced Switchblade.

Images courtesy of Air-Attack.com

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SectorGaza

Originally posted by Nans DESMICHELS

looks like an oversized f-117

This the supposed F-111 replacement..

Just cant remember what 'it is called'..

*edit*

AX-17

Reported Specifications:

Primary Function: Fighter Bomber
Prime Contractor: Northrop Grumman
Power Plant: Possibly General Electric YF120 engines
Length: Unknown
Height: Unknown
Wingspan: Unknown
Speed: Mach 2.5+
Ceiling: Unknown
Unit Cost: Unknown

The rumored existence of a stealthy replacement for the F-111 "Aardvark", a swing winged aircraft known as the AX-17, has been lurking at the fringes of blackness. Although there isn't much evidence to support it, sightings of a strange "artichoke" shaped aircraft and educated speculation make it plausible.
The AX-17 reportedly is based on technology obtained from the design of the Northrop Grumman YF-23 prototype, which lost out to the F-22 "Raptor" in the ATF competition. It makes sense that Northrop Grumman, with proven stealth know how and ongoing research, would not let the loss to the "Raptor" deter their progress.

The YF-23's supercruising engines, its radar absorbing materials advances, and its engine exhaust and intake design, could be easily utilized for the AX-17. The swing wing design would lend to the stealth of the supersonic aircraft while in maximum sweep as well as adding stability for subsonic bombing runs and landings with extended wings. The role of the AX-17 would be a medium range tactical bomber with a good sized offensive payload and defensive capabilities.

[Edited on 23-9-2003 by FULCRUM]

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 07:46 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The A/F-X (Attack/Fighter X) was a joint USAF/USN project to produce a heavy attack aircraft with a secondary fighter role; it would have replaced the F-111 and A-6 in the attack role, and (partially) the F-14 in the fighter role.

It was a short-lived programme, originating in 1991 after the cancellation of the McDonnell Douglas/General Dynamics A-12, a highly advanced, highly stealthy aircraft intended to replace the A-6. A new programme, originally designated A-X, was initiated to provide a cheaper A-6 replacement.

At the same time, the NATF (Naval Advanced Tactical Fighter) program, intended to produce an F-14 replacement, had recently been put on hold, and the USAF was starting to think seriously about an F-111 replacement. The three programmes were merged under the title A/F-X.

Courtesy of the sci.military.naval FAQ

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I'm going with Simon on this one.

Do you mean the plane with the wings facing the opposite direction than most conventional planes?

www.centennialofflight.gov...

posted on Sep, 23 2003 @ 02:37 AM
link   
You guys know so much about planes?

Tell us if you ever heard of the Avro Arrow and what happened to it.

Very interesting story.

posted on Sep, 23 2003 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I know of the AVRO saucer, yes, but the Arrow... I think I may have heard of it, but I don't know anything about it.

posted on Sep, 23 2003 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Perhaps the X-45 Pegasus, or its manned demonstrator, the Bird of Prey.

www.boeing.com...

There is also the RAF's Lightning'which had a swept V-wing.

Edited by myself, SimonGray, as the image was large enough to serve as a Windows wallpaper.

[Edited on 25-9-2003 by SimonGray]

posted on Sep, 23 2003 @ 08:56 AM
link   
the US got the delta wing concept from the horten brothers which made delta wings for the germans in wo2. after the war the United states conviscated all the prototypes and concepts of the horten brothers. So you can say those are also of the states.

[Edited on 23-9-2003 by MarkLuitzen]

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 04:10 AM
link   
One of the finest achievements in Canadian aviation history, the delta wing Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow was never allowed to fulfill its mission. Its role was to replace the Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck as a supersonic all weather interceptor. A source of national pride, the Arrow incorporated advanced technical innovations and became a symbol of Canadian excellence.

www.maverick2.com...

(AVROARROW celebrated his 45th years anniversary in march 2003)

ARROW FANTASY ART (Some arts are really good, almost the PS-2 and the arrow and sr-71)

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 04:17 AM
link   

It's the aliens who are supposed to fly in a saucer, not the canadians, no ?

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Maybe that explains all the UFO sightings! And why they all look so weird!!

(No offense to the cannucks...)

The AVRO saucer project which grew out of Project Y was very interesting, although only powered by "conventional" gas turbines, although fairly revolutionary in their design (radial gas turbines).

There were planes for a Mach 3 VTOL interceptor, the WS-606A. But eventually all we got was the rather poor AVRO saucer. Pity.

[Edited on 24-9-2003 by Lampyridae]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join