It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Overweight Research Project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Purpose

Obesity is a major concern, perhaps one of the THE most important concerns of modern society, yet little is being done to combat it. In society today it is inevitable, more and more of daily life, manual labour, is taken over by machines, more of our time is spent sat at a computer, in cars etc.

Fraudsters have set up multi-million dollar businesses, selling slimming pills, claiming to "speed up metabolism". Medical professionals claim they do no such thing. I myself being "thin", i have sat by and watched helplessly. Not being insensitive, I truly wish to help, and this is a good a place as any for collaborative research.

Goals

• Provide a place for innovative ideas and theories to be put down, into the Research and Development of a new way / new technology to actually "get thin quick".

• Find and display documented proof that/which current weight loss medications etc. are simply "scams".

• To understand the inner workings of how the body works in relation to obesity.

• To uncover the answers to any sub-questions, for example why sometimes a thin person can eat large amounts and stay thin, and yet a large person may eat next to nothing and stay overweight.

A Final note

It should be noted that scientists determined that sometimes certain people can become overweight much much easier than others, through no fault of theirown, but by their low metabolism. Also it is thought that the quality of the general populations metabolism is reducing, thus it is far easier to gain weight and much harder to lose it.

I have the utmost respect for anyone who is overweight, there is nothing wrong with you, i hope you understand that, I merely wish to find a way, to give the OPTION of you living a healthier, happier life.

Initial Member invites

Soficrow, XU, BattleofBatoche, Hellmutt, djohnsto77

[edit on 24-11-2005 by Shadow88]

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Okay, you asked.

Much obesity in the world today results from infections in stem cells called fibroblasts - that create mutated "lipofibroblasts," which proliferate/multiply to cause obesity.

2003 - “ ‘...certain kinds of human fibroblasts can develop into scar-type or fat-type cells,’ says lead author Richard P. Phipps, professor of environmental medicine, microbiology and immunology, oncology and pediatrics. …fibroblasts play a major role in scar formation, fat accumulation and inflammation. … fibroblasts may prove to be a useful diagnostic tool by providing clues to the severity of a disease or who might be prone to abnormal wound healing. …myofibroblasts result in fibrosis of the liver, kidneys, lungs and heart. Lipofibroblasts develop into fat cells and lead to thyroid eye disease and harmful accumulation of fatty tissue in the liver, spleen and bone marrow. …Phipps and his team discovered surface markers that identify which fibroblasts have the potential to change into myofibroblasts or lipofibroblasts."

SOURCE: University of Rochester, news release, October 2003. The research is published in The American Journal of Pathology, October 2003 edition. Also at www.prohealthinc.com...

Stem cell therapy works - it tackles the disease at its foundation. But it's not covered by insurance.

Also see:
Stem Cells May Trigger Cancer

[edit on 24-11-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Interesting to say the least. And thanks for the input

While of course this is a separate medical condition which you say plays a large part in obesity, for informative purposes (anyone who would like to know) does it mention if there is a cure, obviously the fibroblasts are part of the human system, so removing the bodies ability to produce them i would think would be a non-issue, or at least research into finding one? What causes the infection? Thankfully we are now able to use stem cells to research cures for many diseases.

And may you please post links. Thanks!

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
From weightlossinternational.com...

I cannot BELIEVE the side effects of dieting pills

What are the Side Effects of Diet Pills?

The possible side effects of some diet pills as shown by extensive medical testing are: nervousness, restlessness, insomnia, high blood pressure, fatigue and hyperactivity, heart arrhythmias and palpitations, congestive heart failure or heart attack, stroke, headaches, dry mouth, vomitting and diarrhea or constipation, intestinal disturbances, tightness in chest, tingling in extremities, excessive persperation, dizziness, disruption in mentrual cycle, change in libido, hair loss, blurred vision, fever and urinary tract problems. Overdoses can cause tremors, confusion, hallucinations, shallow breathing, renal failure, heart attack and convulsions.

1. How can these companies sleep at night and 2. How have they not been made illegal

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Obesity is becoming a serious issue with western civilization. My purpose here is to show how we the individual can protect ourselves from these serious health risks.

A big problem that is often overlooked would be your portions you consume. It has to be quality, not quantity. If we take a quick look at the fast food industry, we can see exactly how bad it has become. The best deal economically, is normally the worst for your health.

Thus, for example, the average size of a soft drink (which no one should be drinking much of anyway, tut, tut) has increased by almost 50% over the last two decades from an average of 13 ounces to an average of 20 ounces

Source

The same is being said for our food intake as well, our portion sizes have went up almost 50% from the 1970's. With this tidbit of information, it is no wonder why we have continued to grow at the rapid pace we have.

We exercise less, spend more time on the couch in front of the television or on our backsides typing on a computer. Yet we are eating 50% more of what used to be consuming. This is starting right from child hood, instead of a child having an apple or banana, they are having a bag of potato chips or a chocolate bar. Juice or water? No way, I'll have a Soda or a Milk shake.

I point the finger at the portions we are consuming to answer why we are finding these staggering numbers. Our wallets and hips feel the wrath of these extra portions, at some point our head will understand as well.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I've been overweight for most of my life (but not morbidly obese).

The only diet that ever worked for me is the low carb diet (Atkins, etc.)

I lost almost 50 lbs. in a matter of months and felt very good and satisfied the entire time.

I did change jobs and my lifestyle kind of changed and I fell back into eating the carbs. You don't know how good a french fry looks when you haven't had one for months...

But it did take a long time for me to regain my weight -- several years.

So from personal experience, I would recommend that diet to anyone who wants to lose weight. It's simple, you don't need to buy any special food from some diet plan company, nor do you have to take any magic (and expensive) pills.

Just eat meat, eggs, cheese, salads (without any croutons or carb-rich dressings), and take a multivitamin pill just to be sure you're getting all the vitamins you need.

[edit on 11/30/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I am currently under the "morbidly obese catagory," and I have always been struggling with my weight. I have been in and out of diets, losing and gaining like there is no tomorow. I have found it more mental than anything.

Yes, our bodies have slot to do with it, But it is mainly in our minds. I find it harder to resist large portions. I was raised with the "food = love" mindset. And that has damned me to the size I am at today.

I am currently dieting and have lost twenty pounds. No if some of you out there have never dieted, that is four sacks of potatoes. I am not on any strict regiments, but more telling myself that I don't need certain things."I don't need a super sized fry." It has really helped. But it is also hard to tell yourself that, or resist. It was like when I gave up smoking.

There is just a certain feel that I need to be chewing on something. One of the makor reasons I am my size is when I was younger, when I got home from school, I would eat. Not out of hunger, but out of boredom, yes thats right, BOREDOM. when there was nothing else to do , and there was no one there to talk to, I would make myself two bags of popcorn, pour extra butter on them and shovel handfulls into my mouth. It is kind of distgusting when I think about it.

But food was my "hug" it was conforting, it was kind. But what I didn't realize, was that I was falling down the rabbit hole of obesiety. But I do not blame the corperations for my weight. I had the choice to eat mammoth portions at McDonalds. But I do think that the companies are using that for their advantage (Arby's Big Montana). But I had my choice to eat there, so it is not their fault. But stating my big idea again, I believe that weight gain\loss is more depentant on the brain, not the gut.
Hope this helps,
Ford Farmer

new topics

top topics

join