It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis and the Azores Islands?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Thanks for the correction
i got that idea from an wikipedia..

The first known reference/history of the Azores, was written by Gaspar Fructuoso..in "Saudades da Terra" i think early 1550.. but the name Azores, has is own conspiracy, i know at least 3 meanings for the name itself..

digo o mesmo, só tenho pena k mts poucos portugueses valorizem o facto que Atlântida possa ser em Portugal..

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by fable
só tenho pena k mts poucos portugueses valorizem o facto que Atlântida possa ser em Portugal..

(my translation for those who speak English but do not speak Portuguese)

I only think it is a shame that so few Portuguese value the fact that Atlantis can be in Portugal.

One thing I found interesting when I read Plato's "Critias" was the names of the king and princes of Atlantis, specially the following:

Of the fourth pair of twins he called the elder Elasippus, and the younger Mestor. And of the fifth pair he gave to the elder the name of Azaes, and to the younger that of Diaprepes.

In those names we can see that "Elasippus" is very close to "Olissipo", the Roman name of Lisbon, and "Azaes", that may remind us of "Açores" (or Azores).

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   
My first post here.

Has anybody on this site read Otto Muck's The Secret of Atlantis? I've read lots of books on the subject, but this one, by far, is the most intriguing. Here's a website dedicated to it. I've not looked it over much, but if it is true to the book, it should be an excellent source.

www.atlantia.de...

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
First of all, Welcome to ATS.

Originally posted by TwinklesI've not looked it over much, but if it is true to the book, it should be an excellent source.

An excellent source of what?

From what they say on that site that book looks like another useless theory that can be proven wrong in many ways, one of them is even stated in the site.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Okay, perhaps I should have suggested that you read the book instead. I won't attempt to summarize it, only say that it's worth a read.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
i came across this sight today..... my father is from the acores ilha do corvo. some of my family still live there.

i was doing research about atlantis for a book im writing, when i came across this site mentioning corvo.

alot of the theries do make sence, platos description of the location. the temple of poseiden of him and 6 horses pointing to the west.

then the phonecian coins being found.

my cousin when she came to america to visit told me, an oversees university came to corvo to conduct dna testing to trace back our ancestors the research is still going but our ancestors are not of portuguese descent. im eager to find out how far back they can trace it

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by belaninha
my cousin when she came to america to visit told me, an oversees university came to corvo to conduct dna testing to trace back our ancestors the research is still going but our ancestors are not of portuguese descent. im eager to find out how far back they can trace it

First of all, welcome to ATS!

The Açores were not inhabited when the Portuguese started to populate them, so I find I strange that those ancestors were not Portuguese, unless they were from Spain, Italy or Africa.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The Azores has always made most sense to me as being the location of Atlantis. There is some evidence to suggest that the Azores had been visited by Phoenician or Carthaginian sailors, and they may have even used it as a resupply point when undertaking trips further west to the America's. As mentioned in an earlier post a statue of a horse and rider pointing West was supposedly found on Corvo i think as well as some phoenician coins. This to me may suggest that either the Phoenicians or Carthaginians could of had some knowledge of where these islands were, ancient charts maybe, or legends passed down. The Phoenicians also traded extensively with Egypt at the time, which is where Solon got his information from Egyptian priests regarding Atlantis, and which Plato then wrote about. So could the Phoenicians have also had access to this information regarding the location of Atlantis from the Egyptians?

www.earth-history, some alternative views.

Diodorus the ancient Greek historian wrote that thousands of years earlier Phoenicians had been to the immense Atlantic island (where Plato wrote Atlantis was.

www.lilithgallery.com

Plato described Atlantis as being ruled by ten kings before its demise.
In Egyptian mythology states there was originally 10 god-kings, who ruled in a foreign country. They were called Auriteans, but the actual pronunciation is unsure because hieroglyphs only approximate real sounds.
The Phoenician historian Sanchuniathon (1193 BC) calls the same kings "Aleteans". Note this is 600 years before Plato was even born.

Some interesting material here, including maps

So far this century there has been a confirmed report of a one mile rise in the floor of the ocean 576 miles north of Azores when a trans-atlantic cable broke. Dr David F. Zhirov in 1970 reported sand beaches and coral at a depths of 2 miles south of the Azores. Confirmed evidence exists that sections of the Mid-Atlantic ridge have been above sea level in the past and fresh water diatoms have been found 2 miles down in the Azores area dated 10,000 to 12,000 BC.
Volcanic material described as un-dissolved tachylite was found on Telegraph Bank 500 miles north of Azores, indicating that it had been laid down above sea level at some time between 50,000 BC and 10,000 BC. Sediment core analysis at locations off the coast of Africa have proved a 2 mile sinkage of volcanic island structures similar to those of the Azores.

Interesting article on the history of the Azores

Corvo along with Flores are the two westernmost islands of the archipelago, and hence, the last inch of European soil. It was here in the early 1500's, that Damiao de Goes, under the employment of King Dom Manoel of Portugal, wrote of a statue of a man on horseback pointing to the west which was clinging to a rocky ledge. The king asked for a drawing of it, and after seeing the drawing, he sent someone to bring it back. As the story goes, it was shattered in a storm en route, but the king received the parts. There too was an inscription in the rock below the statue, and an impression was taken of it. But neither the shattered parts of the statue, nor the impression of the inscription were ever found.33 Was it a hoax? Scholars are still unsure.Some have speculated that the statue was really just one of many rock formations seen on the island and nothing more.34 Others feel it did exist and could have been evidence of the lost continent of Atlantis, or of another settlement of ancient peoples. Coins too were found on Corvo, and their images were published in a journal of the Society of Gothenberg. They were considered to be of Carthagenian or Cyrenean origin by the society.35 A twentieth century Portuguese scholar, made a serious effort to locate the coins. He went to the convent to which they were first supposedly taken. He also visited museums where he thought information could be found. But his investigation turned up nothing.36

Atlantis was supposedly destroyed by Volcanic eruptions, Earthquakes and Tidal waves which, coincidentally, continue to make life on the Azores difficult.
From the same article as above.

The Azores is a lively place to be. There is a continuous chain of earthquakes and volcanic activity that has had a great effect on its inhabitants. Many of them have left the islands in horror after witnessing one of these catacylysmic events. But disasters are bound to happen when a volcanic environment is home for thousands of human beings.89

There have been 21 major volcanic eruptions in the past 550 years collectively occurring on the islands of Sao Miguel, Terceira, Pico, Sao Jorge, and Faial

There have been 18 major temblors on the islands in recorded history.99 One such quake took place in 1522 when the entire village of Villa Franca, on Sao Miguel island, having 5,000 residents, and being the center of government, was engulfed within sixty seconds by land mass thrown from a hill behind the village. It caused a tidal wave and other destruction in the adjascent islands. It took a year to dig the village out and to give Christian burials to its 5,000 victims.

I'm not convinced of the existance of Atlantis but if i were to state where i think it was located, then the Azores makes more sense than any other location. There seemed to be a lot of underwater research done around that area many years ago but for some reason i've been unable to find much recent underwater/archaeological work. Thats where the real search needs to be concentrated in my opinion, mind you because of the volatile nature of that region you would think that most , if not all evidence would be covered by lava, rock slides, mud and silt and 9000yrs of erosion?

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Atlantis in Azores, maybe?

Hi,

Is good to see other Portuguese members around ATS.

Sometimes we the Portuguese do not give the real value to our land, and yes, maybe Atlantis is in Azores.

Nice thread optimus fett and the last information from mojo4sale is very good, I will check and I will return, because is one the subjects I like to talk about.

ArMaP, we forgot that one for the “Mysterious Portugal”, no?

Atlantis

Google Video Link

References:
. en.wikipedia.org...
. atlantis.haktanir.org...

brotherthebig.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I found this to be quite interesting since my family is from the Azores and our family name SILVA seems to have magical significance. My name is Jason and in the Greek phiolosophical tradtion Jason and the Argonauts was such an important symbol that it was put in the skies as the constelation Jason and the Argonauts. My initials JES. My father Jose, which is of course the iberian Joseph. My brother is named Jamie. James was the brother of Jesus. In fact, Jason and the argonauts was a precurser symbol to that of Jesus of Nazerth.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by Jason666]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason666

Where did you get the idea that the name "Silva" has magical significance? "Silva" means "Blackberry" (the plant) and I never heard about it having any special meaning besides that of being one of the names used by the converted Jews, along with other plant names like Oliveira (olive tree), Figueira (fig tree), Pereira (pear tree), etc.

PS: one of my names is also Silva.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
scientist believe Mongolians who are now native Americans travelled over to the Americas by the ice cap my point is if azores is an aboriginal word maybe it was the azores they used when it was a big massive continent.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Ribeira

The problem with that is that the Azores were never a continent.

If you look at a depth map of the Atlantic ocean (like the one on this page) you will see that there is nothing there that could have been a continent.

PS: An off-topic question because of your user name, are you Portuguese?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
It is a good argument that anyone can make as to the rightful location of Atlantis if it ever truely exsisted. I have done research of my own, most of which points to the azores as the location of Atlantis. The hot springs that are mentioned in Plato's dialoges can possibly be found in the Town (I think is the name) Parque Tessa Nostra, on the island of Sao Miguel. The town is on one of the mountains next to one of the large lakes. Also after looking at a pic found on another thread on ATS, regarding blast lines from a possible asteroid hit.

Now my theory is not based on a direct hit from the asteroid on 'Atlantis' but more of a glancing blow from an asteroid or from fragments of one. It is possible according to evidence that an asteroid or meteorite entered Earth's Atmosphere over the Atlantic ocean, breaking up into thousands if not millions of pieces before impacting the surface. Evidence includes the Carolina Bays and if you look at the Azores on Google Earth you'll see the blast lines, however if you look from the opposite direction you will see what appears to be deep lines running right up to the islands.

In my theory, the pieces of the asteroid impacted off the coast or on the coast of the Island of Atlantis, scraping across the land and bouncing off the large mountains (present day islands) thus forcing tons of earth in multiple directions away from the moutain into the plains. The impacts caused tidal waves washing over the island of Atlantis. Also due to being on or close to the tectonic plates the impacts caused earthquakes which in turn caused volcano eruptions. All of which encompassed the sinking and disappearance of Atlantis. I am hoping to travel to the Azores for further investigation of my theory and possibly get my findings published or even get backing and support from university's and/or research organizations like National Geographic and such.

Off topic, some people even believe along with the usual 'atlantis was in the Caribbean (bimini road, etc)' that other possible locations of Atlantis was Santorini, the port city of Kerech, Ukraine and even the South China Sea. I find these to not be plausible. I believe that Santorini and Kerech could be possible ports of call/trade for the Atlantians and one researcher by the name of Dr. R. Cedric Leonard, believes that the ancient city of Tiahuanaco in Bolivia near Lake Titicaka was even an Atlantian port of trade as well. Evidence found at the site suggests that when Tiahuanaco was flurishing that it was on the shores of the ocean as apposed to the, now, Andes mountains.

Sources: www.atlantisquest.com

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by darthdescendent

One of the things that makes me think that all that never happened (besides the Atlantis story being just that, a story, not history
) is that something as big as the sinking of a large island would have large effects on the ocean.

If the sinking was really a sinking, where did all the material go?

If it was the destruction of the island and the material was spread across a large region, then the water occupying the volume that was there before would make a huge tsunami, and there is nothing (at least up to this moment) that I know that shows the effects of such a catastrophic occurrence in the Atlantic ocean at the time this is supposed to have happened.

The Atlantis story has some interesting things (specially for Portuguese people
), like the names of two of the sons of Poseidon: Elasippus, that looks suspiciously close to Olissipo, the greek name for Lisbon, and Azaes, that looks similar to Azores (although in Portuguese the name is Açores, some people say that it starter as Azores).

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
i totally understand your opinions and respect them... at some point researchers believe that the midatlantic range was above the water surface and, that could have possibly stopped the tital waves from going very far but into each other, also if atlantis exsisted before the end of the last ice age, its possible that when the water rose it spread any lose remains of the island across the globe (hence so many civilizations having simular stories about a place like Atlantis in their history; as the water rose and stirred up the bottom, thousands of years of silt build up as well could prevent findings of remains as well. I mean I would love to say that we'll find Atlantis but until hard evidence is discovered Atlantis will be opinions theories and conversation pieces.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by darthdescendent
at some point researchers believe that the midatlantic range was above the water surface and, that could have possibly stopped the tital waves from going very far but into each other
If the mid-Atlantic ridge was above the surface then the tsunami would have been reflected and so, instead of being hit once, the shores in Europe would have been hit twice.

Also, what could be the reason for the mid-Atlantic ridge being above the ocean's surface? Less water or higher ridge?

also if atlantis exsisted before the end of the last ice age, its possible that when the water rose it spread any lose remains of the island across the globe (hence so many civilizations having simular stories about a place like Atlantis in their history; as the water rose and stirred up the bottom, thousands of years of silt build up as well could prevent findings of remains as well.
If the water level was low then the "pillars of Heracles" were not a passage into the Atlantic ocean, they would be closed, its maximum depth is only around 900 metres.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
but then theres also supposed to have been a massive earthquake on top of all this, could liquifaction have occured?? in the tale, there was a time when part of the ocean was impassable due to a massive bank of mud if that is the case then the regular landmass wouldnt have resolidified normally after the quake as it was underwater.. so it would make some sense for deep seabed sonar scan to detect anything.. it may be so spread out that a normal continental landmass wouldnt be reconizable.. add to that if due to volcanic activity causing the bedrock underneath to sink? and other land masses to rise.. would we be able to tell without testing that it was a continent.. IMO it seems to make sense..

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
and i think plato said that the continent was located outside of where the pillars currently [for him] stood.. but that the continent sank thousands of years before.. i may be wrong about that though

[edit on 2-6-2008 by scorand]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by scorand

So much geological movement was never recorded in the history of man, and it should have left massive marks of its existence, but there are none.

There isn't any evidence of anything resembling a continental platform in the middle of the Atlantic, that area is a mid-ocean ridge, one of the places where the magma comes up to the surface.

Also, liquefaction, as far as I know, does not make the land disintegrate, it only mixes it with water, so the materials are still there. That could account for the "impassable waters", but the Greeks were never known as a people that travel the Atlantic, and those that were never told about something like that, once more, as far as I know.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join