It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Childrens book's in America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I was pretty suprised to see such blatent propaganda in a childrens book as quoted below with source.

Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed!

This full-color illustrated book is a fun way for parents to teach young children the valuable lessons of conservatism. Written in simple text, readers can follow along with Tommy and Lou as they open a lemonade stand to earn money for a swing set. But when liberals start demanding that Tommy and Lou pay half their money in taxes, take down their picture of Jesus, and serve broccoli with every glass of lemonade, the young brothers experience the downside to living in Liberaland.

Amazon Source

I guess I am just wondering what Americans themselves think about this is it acceptable or common practise there to have political biased books for children am i crazy being suprised by it?

To me this is brainwashing at an early age am i in the wrong

I'm not picking side's between Liberals and Republican It doesn't effect me in any way not being American

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
It's freedom of speech... someone wanted to write the book so they wrote it. Maybe someone wiould buy it... personally I wouldn't but hey that's jsut me I'm sure some people must want it...

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Yeah i guess it is a good example of Freedom of Speech in a way although to be perfectly honest i see it more as teaching hate to kids

The phrase Divide and Conquer comes to mind when i see thing's like this.

Maybe I'm wrong and book's like these are a good thing what do other people think.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I think it's brilliant! If I had any kids I'd buy this to teach them liberals wants half their money and want to take away their picture of Jesus!

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
@ Teknikal

I guess some would see it as teaching hate ie. liberals.

Others would see it as a classic piece of non-fiction!

I own this book and my kids aged 15, 13, 11 and 6 love it!

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
@ Teknikal

I guess some would see it as teaching hate ie. liberals.

Others would see it as a classic piece of non-fiction!

I own this book and my kids aged 15, 13, 11 and 6 love it!

This is a joke right?

Please God, say yes.
This is the kind of ignorance that will destroy conservatism.

[edit on 6-11-2005 by jupiter869]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
@ Jupiter869

If you believe my "ignorance" will destroy conservatism, then you would be all for it.

I believe you know it is true, and made your statement out of fear.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The idea is to train your children from a young age to be discerning about many things. When they get older it will serve them well.
The idea is not to make good consumers out of them ...undiscerning consumers. Conservative or liberal.
You think the concepts in this book you are discribing are bad...what do you think happens to a human being who is raised in front of a television set for 4 to 6 hours a day be it by liberal or conservative parents???? What are you people possibly thinking???
Take a close look at the people you know...and their children. How many people do you know who constantly use a movie scenerio to make a point about life..or life experiences. Do they define life in terms of some movie they have seen...second hand experiences??? Where do they get this type of brainwashing that they dont know the differences and think movies are some standard of excellence by which to describe life???
How about people who must describe or promote their excellence in terms of some product they buy or use. Some brand of clothes...verses say what someone else wears of buys.???
These are all external benchmarks..not internal developement per se..
Where do these people get this "brainwashing"and pass it off as life????
Facts are always ..you have to start your children off young...on a good foundation. It is obvious to those who can still think that television,movies, and public education are not it!! It requires something more.
And by the way ..politics isnt it either since it is well known and established that politics funds public education.
Our guides through life are mainly from internal development ..not external develoment or consumption rates. Internal development is the benchmark...of discernment. It must be the right benchmark..one that can be counted on over and over...when we are no longer here to pick up our kids and dust them off. This is called Love and will be with our children when our flesh has long since returned to the dust.
One more thing....about the word love...many people use the word love to mean we should never hate anything. This is often a watchword to prevent discernment. To accept anything that comes down the pipe. The Love I describe is very different from the love often used or misused by other peoples. Peoples who understand this know from whence I speak.
We are not to be so broad minded we are undiscerning...ever. The concept of hate ..is often used or misused to prevent discernment by playing/preying on peoples guilt. You will see this over and over in different postings.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Why can't it be good, pure and wholesome like Heather's Two Mommies? If it was, I'm sure it would even be in theschool system like that book was.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Heather's Two Mommies is a wonderful example of how liberalism can be both morally satisfying and arousing.

Good parents teach their kids HOW to think for themselves.

Bad parents teach their kids WHAT to think.

Bottom line.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Unfortunatly this is exactly what happend is 1930s Germany with the book
Helf Mutter: Es gibt Nationalsozialist unter meinem Bett

[edit on 6-11-2005 by Vegemite]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal
I was pretty suprised to see such blatent propaganda in a childrens book as quoted below with source.

Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed!

This full-color illustrated book is a fun way for parents to teach young children the valuable lessons of conservatism. Written in simple text, readers can follow along with Tommy and Lou as they open a lemonade stand to earn money for a swing set. But when liberals start demanding that Tommy and Lou pay half their money in taxes, take down their picture of Jesus, and serve broccoli with every glass of lemonade, the young brothers experience the downside to living in Liberaland.

Amazon Source

I guess I am just wondering what Americans themselves think about this is it acceptable or common practise there to have political biased books for children am i crazy being suprised by it?

To me this is brainwashing at an early age am i in the wrong

I'm not picking side's between Liberals and Republican It doesn't effect me in any way not being American

one of the greatest strengths - and sometimes weaknesses - of our system is preserving an open press. That ATS even exists is an example of this. Heaven knows that I have reas some posts that elevate my blood pressure quite a bit, but I don't have to read them. Go to the stormfront website and you can find KKK coloring pages and the such. (shudder)

As in so many things, it is the parents who must take responsibility for what their kids read, watch, and do. All too often, they don't take this obligation seriously. As a teacher, I allow my students to express their viewpoints as long as they don't become offensive or are undefensible by the application of logic and empathy for multiple perspectives. I respect the opinions of conservative, liberal, and whatever else might be floating around in my classroom. I think that it is important for young people to have the opportunity to discuss and debate as many viewpoints as we can in the classroom. This is a safe environment where my students can express beliefs and opinions, defend their viewpoints, and perhaps reach different opinions on the weight of other people's arguements. When we have such discussions, I rarely intervene and participate as little as possible - I know what I believe, I want them to have the same opportunity without me prejudicing them one way or another.

As long as all perspectives are fair game, I have faith that this is still a free society. I would like to see a book that teaches the young to be critical thinkers!

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reading the first post on this thread..I decided to order this book and see for myself if it is worth the paper it is written on. Thanks for the idea.

Orangetom

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
If it wasn't religious, I would have gotten it for my youngest cousin.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
"Help Mom there are liberals under my bed" arrived in the mail on Thursday. I havent had a chance to read it as of yet. It will have to wait until I finish my book on interviews with Harry Truman.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I must agree that while this book may not be on my shelf in the living room, the fact that it is a book means that, well, I may not like it, but this is America. I can see that book online or in a store and simply not buy it. I doubt it will become number one on New York's top seling list.

Maybe I can write one called "Santa is a Load of Crap and Costs Mommy Too Much Money". It could be just as funny as Politically Correct Fairy Tales.

Anything for a buck.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
You posted:

"If it wasn't religious, I would have gotten it for my youngest cousin. "

I know exactly what you mean. I decided that by non virtue of the devoutness and zealousness of the two party system that politics was a religion. Very devout adherents involved in it and very zealous too..very dogmatic also in its fingerprint.
Hence I tend to watch politics at times to learn about wildlife in its natural habitat. You know ..the natural order of things and all that.
I dont think children should be ignorant of this facet of life and on a drug called " amusements". Then grow up to be adults ..so called.. but still stuck on amusements. A--- without Muse---thinking...without thinking----amusement.
You get the picture..all the important things we tend to get stuck on in our sophistication..like sports training...despirate housewives....game shows..Jerry Springer....et al..anything to keep us amused..not mused.

Well done American Mad Man..well done..

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
On reflection and after i got over my initial suprise of this book while i still see it as propaganda aimed at young children.

(which can be dangerous anyone remember the hitler youth)

I cannot deny that the fact works like this are allowed is probably a good thing as long as all opinions are allowed the same freedom.

I think people should keep an eye out for things like this though and make sure
they don't get into the education system itself if a parent wants to buy the kid this it's a matter of personal choice and i now see no problem with it.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It is intresting to me that we send our children to public schools and teach them sex before they learn how to make a living for themselves.

It is also intresting to me that we as adults tend to plant our children in front of television and video games ...plant them feed them and water them with all the propaganda from both schools and the media and then wonder why they have behavior problems. A diet high on sugars and carbohydrates helps. The process. But this isnt propaganda mind you Teknikal. This is normal and natural.

WE have alot of kids out here raised in this type of system...around public school and the media and then peer group as their main input then wonder why they can make a living for themselves and thier children. Cannot remain married...et al. This is a great testimony to the value of propaganda. Ever thought of it this way Teknikal???
They are obviously ..by this very system ..raised to be good consumers..adept as consuming themselves and wanting someone else to get them over lifes hard difficult hurdles while they socialize. They are good consumers..not necessarily good people. A huge difference. But this line of thinking was not taught in public school... Hmmmm wonder why.?? Propaganda???

When one becomes a thinking adult..what one learns to spot between the drivel that passes for excellence now days..is that one of the worst criminals on this earth is a parent who would teach thier children their values and thought process expecially if it is contrary to the rampant consumerism process which pervaids so much of our social process to help keep us on a treadmill..without us knowing we are on it. To teach your children to act and conduct themselves outside the boxes ..put there by the "social structure". This is morally criminal. Herd menatlity must be reinforced...this is what much of public education is about.
Just remember ...Teknikal ..all opinions must be represented..even if most of them are the lowest common denominator. Lol Lol ..good thinking. Perfectly logical.lol lol Mr Spock!!

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999

They are obviously ..by this very system ..raised to be good consumers... They are good consumers..not necessarily good people. A huge difference.

You write good organgetom, and I like your thinking. Thanks.

Just thought the above needed to be repeated.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join