It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirates Attack Cruise Ship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
A cruise ship carrying mainly American, Australian and Canadian tourists came under attack from pirates off the coast of Somalia today. The pirates fired weapons, including a rocket-propelled grenade at the ship, but it was able to speed away outrunning the pirates. The area apparently is notorious for pirate attacks and the cruise ship company says the attack is likely not related to Islamic terrorism.

A cruise ship sailing off Somalia has beaten back gunmen in speedboats who opened fire on it in an apparent pirate attack which terrified passengers.
At least two boats closed in on the Seabourn Spirit, reportedly firing automatic weapons and a rocket-propelled grenade.

But crew took evasive action, repelling the attackers without returning fire.

One crew member was lightly injured in the early-morning incident in waters notorious for pirate attacks.

BBC News

Wow
it's amazing pirates still exist and would try to attack such a big cruise ship. I wonder what would have happened if they were able to board it...

Related News Link:
CBC News

[edit on 11/5/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I knew of pirates still being around. A few years back a local man who was on vacation had his throat slit by pirates. Attacking a cruise ship is pretty bold though. Probably the most major thing pirates have done in a long time.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
WTF is a tourist cruise ship doing in the coast of Somalia?

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Any chance these pirates were wearing eyeliner, frilly shirts, and peglegs?

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Here's a picture of the pirates:

Sky News/N. Fisher

[edit on 11/5/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Bloody hell.
Yeah I have heard about pirates when I was down at Lympstone (No I'm not Military) and how in certain areas of the world where the seas are not policed (International waters and all that jazz) there was some danger!

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
These guys are going to take down a Cruise ship with a row boat and some AK’s? I’m surprised the cruise ships didn't just run them over.
Also, do Cruise ships carry any security officers, or some kind of law enforcement on them?

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
These guys are going to take down a Cruise ship with a row boat and some AK’s?

Well, yeah, why not? Is Joe Vactioner gonna bother standing up to them, over traveler's checks and the like? Besides, the guests were put into a central room and the crew was the one dealing with them.

I’m surprised the cruise ships didn't just run them over.
They actually were doing that, they also had some speakers make a big 'boom' sound, to sound like they were returning fire.

do Cruise ships carry any security officers, or some kind of law enforcement on them?

Looks like no, I didn't hear any reports of them firing back.

Here's a better pick of the pirates:

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Nice picture, good job.

Also, who is in charge of security on a cruise ship if someone on board decides to do something, well, harmful to others? Is no one on board securing the ship? I think its pretty stupid to have that many people not looked after by anyone.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Already being discussed here:
www.atsnn.com...

Duplicate thread closed.

join