It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

26,000 Iraqi's killed in last 2 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I thought this was an interesting number.
Thats a heck of a lot of people, and the first time I have heard a number that big.

I wouldn't be suprised if its a VERY conservative estimate.

www.debka.com...
The Pentagon estimates that nearly 26,000 Iraqis have been killed by insurgents since Jan. 2004, and daily figures are climbing steadily

In its first report to Congress on Iraqi casualties, the Pentagon reports that between Jan-March 31 2004, 26 Iraqis died every day. From Aug. 29 to Sept 16, 2005, the run-up to the referendum, the figure jumped to 64 a day. According to another datum, while 80% of all attacks are directed against coalition forces, 80% of the casualties are Iraqis.

Last week, the death toll for US troops in Iraq from March 2003 reached 2,000 with 15,000 soldiers injured.

[edit on 30-10-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
That feels like a very high number since January 2004.

24,865 Iraqi Civilians Reported Dead Since 2003.
The report did not include the daily bombings that were killing 50+ people a day that started in April. This report broke down on who was responsible for the killings.

* U.S. and allied forces: 37 per cent
* Criminal attacks: 36 per cent
* "Unknown agents" attacking non-military targets: 11 per cent
* "Anti-occupation" forces: Nine per cent

That was between March 2003 and March 2005 as found in media reports.

26,000 Iraqis have been killed by "insurgents" since January 2004 seems like a pretty big jump.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I would expect the number to be much higher then the number of US soldiers they killed. When ever you hear of a bombing it seems like they kill way more Iraqis standing in line for whatever job then they do US soldiers.

Just for example a random attack when I type Iraq bombing kills into Google

Iraq suicide bomb kills at least 125

All Iraqis killed in that blast
www.cnn.com...

You never hear of 125 US soldiers killed in a single blast.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
One estimate I read said 58 to 1 ratio, for Iraqi civilian compared to US military casualities.

Other sources have even higher numbers.

Counts of civilian deaths specifically documented range from 26,732 to 30,098. A study in the Lancet estimated 100,000 excess deaths from all causes as of October, 2004.

That includes Iraqi military casualities in combat.

The 95% confidence numbers are anywhere between 8,000 and 194,000. Which is pretty much a worthless estimate.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
That number doesn't seem that high.
The Iraq coalition casualties site started tracking civilian and police deaths at the beginning of 2005 and they have recorded 4,695 deaths of Iraqi civilians and 2,192 police and soldiers since January 2005.

www.icasualties.org...

I'm not sure what the insurgent death toll is but I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to the civilian deat toll.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
The Pentagon estimates that nearly 26,000 Iraqis have been killed by insurgents since Jan. 2004, and daily figures are climbing steadily

And yet some people in the west still call these murderous thugs
'freedom fighters'. Yeah, right. The Iraqis hate the insurgents,
and obviously with good reasons!

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I was fortunate enough to attend a presentation by the Coroner of the Baghdad province in Iraq, around 7 or 8 months ago. The statistics he gave were very disturbing. Previous to the war, there were less than 30 murders a year in the entire province, and none of them were firearm deaths. Now, there are 30-50 Murders on the average day in the city of Baghdad ALONE, almost all of them firearm deaths. The volume of the office has increased from 3000 deaths a year to over 18,000. There is an epidemic of murder and death in Iraq and if these statistics are any indication, the numbers quoted in the American media are vastly understated. The Doctor was very open about the fact that things were far worse now and that these deaths did not constitute military action, but these were civilians (his office has no jurisdiction over military deaths). It doesn't take a political scientist to tell you this is a civil war.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
I'm not sure what the insurgent death toll is but I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to the civilian deat toll.

I ran across this below indicating about double, AceOfBase.
From or by the Brookings Institute:

SecurityWatchtower

seekerof

[edit on 31-10-2005 by Seekerof]

new topics

top topics

join