It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NSA Patent Granted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I have not seen this posted before on this site, I copied all of the text below from a different site forum, none of this is my original content:

forums.1fast400.com...

NSA Granted Patent: Can Now Locate Anyone on Internet

Posted by: TrueAmerican
On: Sun September, 25 2005 @ 23:46 GMT
The National Security Agency was granted a patent on September 20, 2005 for new technology that allows them to identify the physical location of any web surfer. My checks at the patent office indeed confirmed US Patent 6,947,978. The NSA's stated uses for the technology included "effectiveness of advertising across geographic regions."

original news source:
------------------------------------------------
patft.uspto.gov
Method for geolocating logical network addresses

Abstract
Method for geolocating logical network addresses on electronically switched dynamic communications networks, such as the Internet, using the time latency of communications to and from the logical network address to determine its location. Minimum round-trip communications latency is measured between numerous stations on the network and known network addressed equipment to form a network latency topology map. Minimum round-trip communications latency is also measured between the stations and the logical network address to be geolocated. The resulting set of minimum round-trip communications latencies is then correlated with the network latency topology map to determine the location of the network address to be geolocated.

------------------------------------------------

The NSA is one of the most secretive US agencies, and while they might use such an advancement to study the "effectiveness of advertising across geographic regions," or "flagging a password that could be noted or disabled if not used from or near the appropriate location," one has to wonder what is really up their sleeves.

A little thought into this yields a whole new barrage of possible uses. But what little protection anonymous proxy servers and confidentiality agreements with ISP's and the like offered the average internet user will now dissapear into thin air. The bottom line is if they want to, they can find out exactly where you are. No search warrant requests, no inquiries to ISP's, no nothing. Big Brother has finally broken through the last tier of privacy.

edit to add link

[edit on 4-10-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I saw that last week on eyeball.org I think. I had intended to post it but never got around to it so thanks

From what I understand (please correct me if I am wrong) this technology allows the NSA to locate where someone is physically by analyzing their network traffic even if they are hiding behind a proxy, masking their ip etc..

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
lol, jeez, and I thought I was just posting this for the ATS membership...

Try this therainmaker:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

What? They stealing our story?

They could have at least quoted the other articles in reference to it.

[edit on 4-10-2005 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I guess great minds think alike...I also realize it's against this site policy to post full articles and I apologize, I did not think it was wrong.

Here is my source:

forums.1fast400.com...

Yes it is a bodybuilding site; I am a health nut so who can blame me...

new topics

top topics

join