It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bombs rock Bali killing at least eight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Bombs rock Bali killing at least eight
Sunday Oct 2 00:25 AEST
AP - Bombs went off almost simultaneously on Saturday in two tourist areas of the Indonesian resort island of Bali, killing at least eight people and wounding 13 others, police and hospital officials said.

Foreign tourists were among the victims.

The blasts at Jimbaran beach and a bustling outdoor shopping district in downtown Kuta "were clearly the work of terrorists", Police Major General Ansyaad Mbai, a top Indonesian anti-terrorism official, told The Associated Press.

news.ninemsn.com.au...

www.news.com.au...

I was planning to return but NEVER again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jezza
I was planning to return but NEVER again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what the Terrorists wanted.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Typically for intial reports of terrorist bombings, the casualty lists are conflicting. The Jakarta Post is reporting that 11 dead have been taken to the Sangla Hospital in Denpasar and another 8 bodies have been taken to the Graha Asih Hospital.

There seem to be at least 51 additional wounded, with Indonesians and Australians topping the list.

South-East Asian terrorist network Jemaah Islamiah is already being suggested as the likely candidate, given their pledge to carry out yearly attacks around the anniversary of the 2002 Bali Bombings which killed 202 people (Reference - The Age). The explosive devices used in these attacks are said to have been significantly less powerful then those used during the 2002 attacks, although conflicting reports are claiming that as many as 6 bombs have exploded. Current reliable reports have only made mention of 3 explosions, however.

I wish I could say that this will lead to some type of reaction on the part of the Indonesian government, but I am not optimistic. The Indonesian government needs to realise that attacks of this type cannot continue and needs to take immediate and decisive action. Jemaah Islamiah's members and supporters need to be hunted down and arrested and its training facilities need to be eradicated. If the Indonesian government is incapable of doing this on its own, then it needs to ask Australia for assistance. As the largest Muslim country in the world, Indonesia is in a uniquely favourable position to demonstrate to the world that an Islamic society can exist peacefully without tolerating extremism. I wonder how serious the attacks have to become before they are spurred into any sort of real action.

Jemaah Islamiah's continued existence only adds to regional instability. They must be annihilated and I have no desire to wait for an attack on Australian soil before this is accomplished.

[edit on 1/10/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Unfortunatly the death toll will rise.
The balinese will suffer the most.
The whole economy depends on the tourists to survive.

Last time i was there it was a fantastic place but that has changed forever
AGAIN!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I have never been to Bali, and have never really had an interest in going. I also had a friend die in the last bombing.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I've never had an interest in going either. Especially after the Schapple Corby thing.

new topics

top topics

join