It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Points on ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I am impressed. I very desrevedly made th trash bin quickly. I think my point was missed by many. Under the current system, quantity is valued far more than quality. There are certain members that i find a joy to read. and others i do not. In fact there are some that start terrible topics, with rediculous theses and the fact that many respond earn them points. This makes no sense. In other areas, i give a though out respinse to something (often wrong, and seldom entertaining) but thought out none-the less, and get zero response. My last thread (now in the trash bin) was terrible (it was an experiment) and it had 5 replys within minutes.
My point is, there are some flaws in the system...it caters to bulk posters and not to quality posters. Hopefully this topic can avoid the trash bin for at least a couple more minutes than the last one.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 12:52 AM
link   
You made your point terribly!
By picking one person and attacking and insulting them.

As far as the points go, my understanding is that you get more points for posting in a conspiracy forum. So the system has at least tried to gear toward quality posts too - not just quantity of posts.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Is the first post one of those crappy posts you are complaining about?

People might not be aware but I am under the impression that the only posts that gain points are in the Specific Forums section. So if you are spamming the Chat or website in the hope of gaining extra points then you are wasting your time.

There is to be a system implimented (or already is) where deleted posts remove points from the poster. This should help in balancing up the crap.

The poster you are referring to is a long term great ATS poster and doesn't deserve such abuse from a relative "newbie" of 2 months.

[Edited on 10-9-2003 by Netchicken]

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I think it's ironic that you're worried about the quality of posts and the point system at the same time.

A point system is not going to be perfect. It's made by imperfect people, and there will be elements to it that don't seem fair. Get over it.

If you're concerned with the quality of the posts, then make quality posts. It's a message board, you're going to get out of it what you put into it. Ignore the point system and concentrate on what's important to you.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Who is stumpy refering to?

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Well the points do the talking..

Those get points that post intressing topics that other people also like..

I rest my case to my points..

[Edited on 10-9-2003 by FULCRUM]

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Well, I have seen a few really idiotic posts IN CONSPIRACY forums, meaning they get points.

*hits head on table* Bad paperclip, bad paperclip, talking evil things about their masters, bad paperclip

Master forgive me?

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 01:32 AM
link   
great responses...I posted a crappy topic in this area precisely becasue i would not get points for it. I am not after points. only after interesting discussion. and yes netchicken, my start of this thread is admittedly terrible. Coincidently, i always enjoy your posts. I was juts trying to introduce an area of discussion. and a newbie i am....no defense there...but i feel that i have contributed more in a short time than some have in a long time (only an opinion)

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I'll back stumpy on the value of what he brings to the Forums - and that there are some idiotic posts all over the place.

Until there is action taken to castigate and punish the nonsense and filler that we all make sometimes, it will continue to get put up, and increasingly so in the 'higher value' Forums. That is simple operant conditioning, intermittent reinforcement at work, it works just as well on lab rats. Until there is a punishment to go with it - either an electric shock through the mouse, or 1000 points lost for inanity in a serious Forum, or even the old Warnings, it will be open game!

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumpyMy point is, there are some flaws in the system...it caters to bulk posters and not to quality posters. Hopefully this topic can avoid the trash bin for at least a couple more minutes than the last one.

Every discussion board that shows post count (all of 'em) has this flaw. As far as I know, we are the only board that rewards responses to your threads, more than simply posting a new thread. The assumption is that quality threads attract quality responses... and if you look at the history of content on ATS, you'll see this is a clear trend.

Here are the things that influence points the most, in order of magnitude:

1) Winning a debate
2) Have the results of your research (in our forum) published
3) Coming in second in a debate
4) External links to your collaborative fiction (such as slash-dot)
5) Finding startling material in the course of your research (in our forum)
6) Participating in a debate
7) Participating in the research forum
8) Participating in collaborative fiction
9) Seeing numerouse responses to a thread you authored
10) Posting

The top 9 of the 10 actions that award points are directly tied to quality of material. Posting never gives you more than 10 points, But participating in fiction, research, and debates gives you 250 points for each post. The point values increase up from there.

(There is only 1 point awarded for posting in Chit Chat, and no points for responses)

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Like i said, i think that i have earned my points.. look at my Vietnam air war topic for exammmmmmble.. it really should be im research forum.. as it is quite detailed and accurate.. in other words: GOOD.

An if some people start stupid topics, they hardly get high scores with those as nobody wont post to those..

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by William
(There is only 1 point awarded for posting in Chit Chat, and no points for responses)

well gee. maybe I should have posted the 'name us' thread in website-related.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Hey for those people that think their thread should be in the research forum they should write up a proposal and try to get in thtere. You don't get in just by doing a data dump on a thread.

[Edited on 10-9-2003 by ktprktpr]

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Who cares about points? I really dont care how much points I get or how much other members have or how they are calculated or whatever. Who Cares!

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Right now, with limited tangible goods, points matter little beyond having some fun with colors and graphics. However, in the future, as advertisers begin to participate in ATS, points will be exchangeable for prizes and cash. At that point, I'm sure most people will pay attention to points.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Thank everyone for your responses. WIlliam, sorry for causing trouble. MA, thanks for the back up.

ID

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   

FULCRUM posted on 9-10-2003 at 01:11
Well the points do the talking..

Those get points that post intressing topics that other people also like..

I rest my case to my points..

I prefer to earn my points by posting rather then acquiring them through others posts. I have only made one topic on this site and it was not well received, only got 5 responses. However my points are very close to yours FULCRUM. I have heard you brag about your points many times so let me remind you of one thing that Gandhi once said: "It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." Not trying to fight ya just giving you something to think about.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Brag? :F I have done no such thing..

And any ways i have posted Myself over 600 messages, and if my banned figure is counted well over 1100..

And also with FULCRUM i have spend around 5000 points at the store..

But lets keep it real:

Points doesnt matter what matter what one learns/or teaches to others here.. thats what matters.

And anyhow, im just supriced by myself as have this many points.. in a such short time..

That is the reason i have mentioned them..
Nothing more to it..

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
I'll back stumpy on the value of what he brings to the Forums - and that there are some idiotic posts all over the place.

Until there is action taken to castigate and punish the nonsense and filler that we all make sometimes, it will continue to get put up, and increasingly so in the 'higher value' Forums. That is simple operant conditioning, intermittent reinforcement at work, it works just as well on lab rats. Until there is a punishment to go with it - either an electric shock through the mouse, or 1000 points lost for inanity in a serious Forum, or even the old Warnings, it will be open game!

MA......
That was beautiful and very well said and very much over-looked.
I sent William a U2U expressing my concerns with the point system as well.
I just voted for you again...being I voted for you last time for September's TWAT, for what you just did/said/posted.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 10-9-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FULCRUM
Brag? :F I have done no such thing..

And any ways i have posted Myself over 600 messages, and if my banned figure is counted well over 1100..

And also with FULCRUM i have spend around 5000 points at the store..

But lets keep it real:

Points doesnt matter what matter what one learns/or teaches to others here.. thats what matters.

And anyhow, im just supriced by myself as have this many points.. in such shot time..

That is the reason i have mentioned them..
Nothing more to it..

Holy guacamole!! 600 posts. Aren't you in the military? How do you find the time?

UBOAT ATTACK

top topics

<<   2 >>

join