It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telescope Double Image Problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I've been having problems with my telescope lately. When I use it I get a strange after-image which I never gotten before.

What could be causing it and how can I fix it? You may also want to know that it happens when I use the 90 degree eye piece which recently broke. The mirror fell out and I put it back in and used electrical tape to hold it in. Did I put the mirror in wrong or are my lenses in the telescope messed up.

Here is a picture of the image that I get from it. (It's a rendering, not actual image, but that's the effect).

This telescope was expensive and I don't want to pay much for repairs.

Edit: Correction, I don't want to pay at all for repairs.

GoldEagle

[edit on 9/26/2005 by GoldEagle]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Just found this... I'm not really sure what would cause it. It could be with the broken right angle. Do you still get double images when you're not using the right angle?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Your diagonal mirror was dropped and is now miscollimated. There is no way of fixing it short of putting some cardboard or something in there to align the mirror and then checking alignment with a cheshire eyepiece. Diagonals are cheap anyway and depending on what type of scope you have will depend on what type you need. I have also purchased a few diagonals in my day that are miscollimated from the factory, but none badly enough that they give double images.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I was getting worried that no one would respond as this thread drifted into obscurity.

I checked for a double image without the diagonal, it's day time and it didn't seem too evident. It is more noticable when you look at point light sources like stars and especially the moon. The true test for it would have to occur at night.

I'll see if that is the problem and post it soon.

top topics

join