It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Embodiment of Life (MSFE)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
500 words exactly. Embodiment of Life-

Deep in the ancient diamond mines of Africa, a robotic arm reached out and touched an unusual glass sphere. Black dust drifted lazily off the smooth surface and settled on the ground again, never to be disturbed again.

Five hundred feet above this unique excavation sat three men, each watching intently at the small black and white video screen, whose camera was attached to the robotic arm handling the fragile sphere. The operator of the robot was so glued to the screen that he hardly noticed the full weight of his two superiors bearing down on his shoulders to get a closer look. Each quietly remarked about its exquisite beauty, and how they had never seen anything like it in all their years as diamond miners. For all their expertise, neither of them knew what it was, only that they wanted to hold and inspect the tiny globe.

The robot now fully grasped the object and began its ascent through the winding dark tunnels that no human could travel in. All three of the diamond miners went down to the robot’s receiving area. There in the steel and rubber grips of the arm was the sphere. The arm released its cargo and the men looked into the sphere. For twenty-five minutes they all three gazed into its blue depths in the dim light wondering what it was. No chance of it being a sapphire they agreed, this was something new, something nobody had ever seen.

Finally after an hour of light discussion, they came to the conclusion that they would leave with the sphere and head to the laboratory to see what exactly this thing was. The on-site lab was mainly used to clean and cut the stones from any excess rock. Since it was closing hours and there was nobody there, the supervisor decided to open the place and run some tests.

After hours of tests, they had concluded that it wasn’t a diamond, sapphire, ruby, or any other precious gem known. The first morning shift came in to use the lab and the trio exited into the morning sunlight to keep their find a secret. Once outside they felt the need to see the sphere again, this time however, amidst the blue was white and green blobs. This white and green looked extremely familiar. They could just make out the shape of Africa coming around the side.

In the five minutes they stared at the sphere, none of the men noticed the flurry of life growing around them. Trees and plants were growing at a phenomenal rate around their feet. Sudden fear overtook the men. They ran leaving the sphere, which sparked a new jungle in Africa, and indeed changed much of the world’s climate, replenishing life.

This was nature’s answer to a dying earth; the tiny globe was simply “life”, it started it and could end it. As long as it was on earth, life would exist and balance out anything that held no respect for it.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Well I have to admit MrJingles that story had one hell of allot better ending then the story I wrote.

It was good writing though and I liked the story. I wish you luck in the eyes of the judges and look forward to your writing in the future.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Hi MrJingles,

I really enjoyed reading your story, becuase I found the idea of a sphere with such power to be a great one! Something so small and simple as the catalyst for life is not only a great idea, but it is not far from the truth, huh?! I also liked how the men who found the sphere finally realzied the enormity of their find, and ran!
I am actually glad that they ran, instead of developing delusions of grandeur. I was left wondering just how much of a "clean-up" job mother nature did. Great story MrJingles! Good luck to you.

join