It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Martin; scathing review of UN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I was quite suprised to see this headline. Seems our PM stood up and said what has been on the minds of Canadians for quite some time.
www.canada.com...

"If the United Nations is to work, we know what we have to do, and we also know we are not doing nearly well enough, . . ." said Martin.

"Make no mistake: the UN needs reform."

He also took direct aim at those who refused to accept the Kyoto accord.

"Climate change is real and the world must recognize it," said Martin.

"Human activity is a defining cause, and the world must act on it."

Video link here:
www.canada.com...

I'm personally pleased to see Canada being more active in standing up on issues. I'm sure this is likely to ruffle a few feathers, but this nation needs to find it's voice interenationally.
Eh?

[EDIT: found a better artical here: ]
www.theglobeandmail.com...

[edit on 16-9-2005 by BitRaiser]

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the link I missed his speach, do you have any idea if Chevez's speech is on the web like this??

I have not been able to find it thus far...

Thanks for any help

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Thanks for posting, bitraiser.

Frankly, I'm pleasantly surprised that Paul Martin has taken this tack. I had him figured for the quiet type that would steer clear of anything which would focus a limelight on him. I still dont like the fact that Canada Steamship Lines does not pay taxes in Canada nor do its' employees benefit from Canadian Labour laws. The way he has done this is no secret, though, but it does stick in my craw.

Kudos on his attack on the ineffectiveness of the U.N. I agree wholeheartedly. I also agree with his stance on the environmental issues. Somebody has to drive that nail home and I think that whack he just took was heard around the world. Now, if some would just take the wads of cotton out of their ears...

But, good for him...he needs to look good on the international stage and Canada needs another Captain Canuck. Trudeau just never made it that far, did he?

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by like2learn
Thanks for the link I missed his speach, do you have any idea if Chevez's speech is on the web like this??

I have not been able to find it thus far...

Thanks for any help

I couldn't find either a video or audio file of it, but here's a link to the story:

[edit on 16-9-2005 by BitRaiser]

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser

Wow...that is an impressive story about Chavez's speech. I'm rolling on the floor laughing, seriously. I would have given $10 Cdn ($8.50US) to see the look on Prez Bush's face when he made those remarks about oil consumption. I'm sure Canadians are just as bad at using gas up, but that has got to put a burr under the saddle, don't you think?

This story is getting wilder by the day. I bet Pat is wishing he'd kept his mouth shut.

[edit on 16-9-2005 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   
We're prolly a little bit better up here on gas abuse.
There's alot of insentives for carpooling as well as fitness folks that do crazy things like ride bikes or even walk to work.

Canada also DID sign the Kyoto Accord.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Yuo think an establishment that was created to control the world for the power-mongers is going to be reformed to do....what? Seriously.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I just have to add, typical paul martin talk. Big generalized speech based on nothing that never takes action.

Im used to it by now.

top topics

join