It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Film of the Year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Quite often I am asked by friends "have you seen any good films recently", my reply is "I only watch good films".

So at some point I have to decide which, for me, is Film of the year.

Previous films have included:

Grand Canyon
Magnolia
Donnie Darko
Way of the Gun

I have watched many good films this year, but have just finished watching what could be considered a hot contender.

Beautifully filmed with a very strong message, so if you're pondering at the video store, which movie to get and haven't yet seen it.............

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I might say DooM is good if it simply has the FPS feel we gamers are craving, and also has good effects, since we know it has no plot whatsoever.

"Arm Gun, 'watch out' turn corner, OH SHit OPEN FIRE!"
Rinse and repeat.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
My favorite of all the movies I've seen in a long time:

-DucKid

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I've been buying DVDs to build up a "great movie" (in my eyes, anyway) collection. What I'd like to do is to get all the Akira Kurosawa and Masaki Kobayashi movies and a lot of the classics from the fifties through the fifties.

Plus all the Disney classics, of course.

I also have the three Star Wars movies (the real Star Wars, that is) and the three LOTR moves as well. But I haven't seen many good movies recently; maybe my tastes are just too 'exotic' for what's going down these days.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Frank Miller's Sin City was, in my opinion, one of the most beautifully plotted film of the year. Of course, I am rather partial as I have been a fan of Frank Miller's artwork ever since his days as penciller for Marvel Comics' Daredevil . Unlike so many other films that have been adapted from the comic book medium, Sin City remained faithful to the genre. In many ways, it was almost as if the storyboard came to life. But, then, isn't that the way it should be ?

I'm not an actor, director or any kind of thespian, all I know is that Sin City suspended my disbelief. Bruce Willis' performance was, in my opinion, astounding in it's concise, basic portrayal of a hardened police detective in what has to be the toughest beat around....Sin City. But the show was stolen by Mickey Rourkes portrayal of a hard-fisted, hard-headed "brute". All I can say is, if you havn't seen Sin City.....see it. But I should add that it is not for the faint of heart or someone who is, in any way, "sensitive" to violence, gore, and/or foul language. Again, Sin City is an amazing film.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 04:24 AM
link   
DucKid I've yet to see Batman Begins, but am looking forward to the DVD release. I enjoyed the initial Batman with Michael Keaton, but am hoping that Christian Bale brings sufficient psycho traits to our vengeful vigilante.

Off the Street Funny you should mention Akira Kurosawa, I watched Red Beard a couple of weeks ago, and enjoyed it greatly. I did find the soundtrack quite amusing, as it seem to come from 1950's America.

benevolent tyrant I got Sin City a couple of weeks ago, and have to agree with you, Mickey Rourke's contribution stole the show. The comic strip style of presentation was masterfully done, colouring, camera angles and lighting, were done to perfection.

My favourite genre would probably be sci-fi but have a very strong attraction toward films involving chaos theory, examples of which are

City of Hope
Grand Canyon
Magnolia
Donnie Darko
The Butterfly Effect
The Jacket
Crash

by chaos theory, I mean those films that depict the knock on effect of peoples actions and the repercussions, on others, because of those actions.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I'm going to have to agree with DucKid - Batman Begins is my personal favourite movie this year. The return to a dark, Frank Miller-esque Batman and the incorporation of some classic Batman stories (such as Year One and Return of the Dark Knight) just made the movie everything I wanted it to be.

I also really enjoyed War of the Worlds. Here's to aliens being scary once more. I'm hoping that Serenity will be as good as I hope when it finally gets released down here in Oz.

[edit on 6/9/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Sometimes it gets to the point where I watch so many intellectually and visually stimulating movies, that I just have to go rent some horrible C movie just to get a good laugh and to put things into perspective...So for those horrible films, I am equally grateful

But getting down to business...Ya know, Hollywood has really take a major hit in the Box Office performance this year...Ticket sales are dropping steadily - And I really can't say anything negative about the present situation - I've spent my money on a quality home theatre system, and going to the movies is just a rare treat nowadays instead of my once-a-week adventures I once had...

Given that fact, I haven't been out much to see many films this year - Just waiting for the DVDs....But I have seen a couple remarkable films....

A few that I enjoyed:

Kung Fu Hustle
Sin City
Charlie & The Chocolate Factory
Star Wars EIII
March of the Penguins

Each one stands out for its own reasons in my book....I wish there were more to choose from, but this year really hasn't produced much in the way of quality films - Maybe I'm just not hitting up the local independent theatre enough or something...

I'm looking forward to seeing The Constant Gardener though....

And a word to the wise - Avoid Red Eye unless you simply enjoy seeing movies where you know what's coming around every corner...

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
March Of The Penguins gets my vote.

Without a doubt.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Best movie I saw this year, without a doubt and without a close competitor: Cinderella Man.....

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
They could've given it a better title. Don't you guys agree? I haven't seen it though, and wouldn't know the connection between the name and the movie.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
"The Girl next door"

This should be hailed as a classic. Best film I've ever seen, and it has Elisha Cuthbert in it!

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Where's the competition?

It's got to be War of the Worlds!

Awesome movie.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The competition is in The Girl next door mate!

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mashup
The competition is in The Girl next door mate!

If it's so good...why haven't I heard of it?

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Because you're living in a hole? Anyway, not all great films are ones that people have heard of.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mashup
Because you're living in a hole?

Yes, it's called England.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
*cough*ElishaCuthbertCouldn'tActHerselfOutOfAPaperBag*cough*

But the movie sucked too.

O'course that's just my very humble opinion

I haven't seen Cinderella Man yet. Sigh.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
The 40 Year old Virgin

"Are you putting the pussy on the pedestal?"
"That billboard had 2 sides to it, and they both hurt equally."

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka

Beautifully filmed with a very strong message, so if you're pondering at the video store, which movie to get and haven't yet seen it.............

Yes. I agree.

Crash should win, but it won't.

Oh man, I cried like a baby when the girl...well, you know...and when the cop saves the..well, you know...and when the father and daughter were under the bed...

Powerful stuff.

Batman Begins and Sin City. The other two best films of 2005.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join