It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon May Have to Reduce U.S. Forces in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Reuters

The Bush administration may have to cut U.S. troops in Iraq by more than half to keep enough forces to face other threats, a congressional agency said on Tuesday in a report that fueled calls for more international help for peacekeeping in Iraq.

The Congressional Budget Office said under current policies, the Pentagon would be able to sustain an occupation force of 38,000 to 64,000 in Iraq long term, down from the existing 150,000 that a number of lawmakers said is not enough to confront the spiraling violence.

REUTERS STORY

So they're saying 150K isn't enough to keep things under control but they're going to withdrawal half of them? Could this be an indication that things with North Korea are heating up and they want to free up some troops when and if that situation arises?

The article says that it's costing almost 4 billion dollars a month to keep the present 150,000 troops in Iraq now, and would cost up to 19 billion dollars and take three to five years to recruit, train and equip two more divisions with about 80,000 in troops and support personnel. It also mentioned that the Pentagon was discussing making more use of National Guard, reserves, Marines and civilian personnel in Iraq. This seems to be much much more expensive than anticipated, last thing we need now is to get involved in another war.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I am personally afraid the US will be fighting on several fronts in "Gulf War 2" and could be spread thinly on the ground at home, but I am not seeing North Korea as part of this equation.

Remember, when it all goes down, that the people to thank are the incumbent 'president' and the Bush/PNAC administration.

Watch rats deserting the sinking ship before November -just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Could this be an indication that things with North Korea are heating up and they want to free up some troops when and if that situation arises?

Things with North Korea are practically boiling as it is right now... I'm sure those troops will be split between Iran, Afghanistan, South Korea, and Japan.

Note that there are almost daily bombings now in Baghdad... and Bush II is continuing to try to pull out.

So much for liberating the Iraqi people!

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 08:22 AM
link   
...a crystal clear illustration, of what some of us saw years ago, that this administration is not equipped for the job. Ideology over practicality has won out in every decision they've ever made, critical or minor.
The handicap to this discussion is the insistence of "hate" being the motivator for anti-Bush opinion. NO! It's the ability to see the obvious.

In this scenario, likely outcomes:

1) 'What goes around comes around' - the snubs, heavy handedness and arrogance of the Bush cabal now has America going hat in hand to the real allies who were always necessary to get this misadventure some possibility of success. But now, those self same allies would be committing political suicide to send the thousands of troops needed to secure the area. But even before that, do you honestly think the Robber barons in the White House would actually share the spoils of the oil grab? You know, the only impetus to the allies to have them comitt?

2) More Outsourcing - Halliburton, through crony capitalism & blatant corruption of the White House, already has the entire facilities management contract of both the Navy & Army . Though the lion's share are ex-military, you still have that headcount at any given base not under the CO - which also means a base comes under attack and you don't have that additional force to help repel.
Now fast forward to the drop off of 75,000 + from Iraq.......replaced with?.........That's riiiight!!!!

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 08:42 AM
link   
they are suppost to be sending more of the brittish terrortorial army over there too...

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 12:50 PM
link   
150 troops could get the job done if they were handled right. Hell, 75000 could do it.

But we have an administration that is incompetant, as all are. The guys we have over there could get the job done if the politicans would stop the BS and use the properly instead of worrying about whose gonna get the fattest contracts.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Watch rats deserting the sinking ship before November -just my opinion.

It's a nice dream, but I don't see any current candidate beating out GWB...much as I'd like to.... He's #ing up more than I ever thought imaginable....yet he'll still be re-elected...well...not with my vote (like it makes a bit of difference)

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Keep an eye on the ex-NATO commander........

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Keep an eye on the ex-NATO commander........

My thoughts exactly, tho I hope he doesnt run as a buddy to Kerry, but runs on his own.

top topics

join