It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood's portrayal of conspiracy-related material/stories in movies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
PLEASE HELP. I'm looking into movies as an additional source for "information" and entertainment relating to conspiracy ideas. Hollywood is a propaganda machine and even so, some really good/relavent stories have been made. HAVE SOME BEEN MADE TO IMPLANT IDEAS INTO OUR CULTURE OR TO EXPOSE THEM???

I've been compiling a list of "mainstream" (open to interpretation...I'm thinking mostly of entertainment/general type movies...stuff not so obscure that netflix or a library couldn't get it) movies that deal with conspiracy directly or that include references. I've kind of hit a wall and am looking for more recommendations.

ARE THERE MOVIES THAT ARE CONSPIRACY-RELATED THAT "HIDE" THE CONSPIRACY ASPECT?...allegories.

I've bolded the best of what I have seen recently. I have not seen everything on this list.

I ALSO WOULD LOVE TO FIND BREAKDOWNS/LISTS OF INDIVIDUAL TITLES FROM A CONSPIRORIST POV if anyone can point me into that direction. For example: all the referenced conspiracies in Conspiracy Theory.

Conspiracy movies:

(No Ludlum-based movies with Matt Damon please!)

3 Days of the Condor

Arlington Road

Chinatown
Conspiracy Theory (so-so plot, but Mel locks his fridge AND the containers inside, also references a lot of popular conspiracies)
Dark City
Dr. Strangelove

Eyes Wide Shut

Final Cut
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Jacob's Ladder

Manchurian Candidate

Manchurian "remake"
Matrix trilogy (faults and all)
Ninth Gate
The Odessa File

Parallax View
Rosemary's Baby

Seven Days in May
Soylent Green
Spartan
X-Files movie

"Documentary" movies:

Farenheit 9/11
Paradise Lost I and II

[edit on 4-8-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Given some of your mentions, and the extremely loose and fast interpretation of them as somehow conspiratorial, you could add almost anything form Planet of the Apes to The Net to The Ten Commandments to WaterWorld.

How about I think of movies with no conspiracy aspect...

I'd say Viva Rock Vegas, but there are those conspiracy theorists among that think The Flintstones is based on a true story less than 6,000 years old.

I'll get back to you. Or if I don't, assume the worst.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
THX1138
The Insider
Full Metal Jacket
Disappearance of flight 412
The Omen
JFK
Andromeda Strain
Fail Safe
French Connection I, II

Dunno?, does the above help?

Dallas

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
All "Bond"
Farenheit 451
Lord of the Flies
Caligula
Behind the Green Door
The Conversation
The Life of Brian
100 Monkeys
Blue Velvet
Repo Man

[edit on 5-8-2005 by whaaa]

[edit on 5-8-2005 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Given some of your mentions, and the extremely loose and fast interpretation of them as somehow conspiratorial, you could add almost anything form Planet of the Apes to The Net to The Ten Commandments to WaterWorld.

I don't see how my list is quite that LOOSE. Especially if you look at the films that I bolded. Maybe you could add some that would TIGHTEN my LOOSE and FAST INTERPRETATION of my list of SOMEHOW conspiratorial films.

Would you recommend that I remove Manchurian Candidate, Arlington Road, and 3 Days of the Condor? Please let me know as soon as you are able.

Thanks for adding The Flintstones to the list. That was helpful.
Not really. Much thanks for the critique though.

There's a reason that I'd like to get input on this list. I appreciate the info that I've already gotten.

[edit on 5-8-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

[edit on 5-8-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I don't have alot of films related to conspiracies. The matrix could be considered one, but only the first one really. And I'll be happy to replace Matt Damon with my photoshopped George Bush.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2nd Hand Thoughts
HAVE SOME BEEN MADE TO IMPLANT IDEAS INTO OUR CULTURE OR TO EXPOSE THEM???

Million-Dollar Baby

Coinciding with the real life issue of Terry Schiavo.

An interesting study would be human interest movies that have corrolations to real life events. Your compilation, 2nd Hand Thoughts, is interesting, however the real conspiracy beyond the inferences you can make(which are inherent in an antagonist/protaganist storyline) is the distraction from real life issues. Many people go to the movies to zone out and be entertained, and I include television here. Such an action leaves people unprepared to deal with humans who find learning everything an entertainment. And they are out there.

I wonder what was going on in the world during Kramer Vs. Kramer.........

(No Ludlum-based movies with Matt Damon please!)

For the record......Bourne Supremacy II has more 'hidden' references than the first and is high on my list.....I mean come on....a hypnotized subject not only becoming aware of himself but working the problem out on his own? The quote by Pam, where she says that, "We have controlled him for all of his life, we should be a step ahead of him." Sounds like a certain factions worst nightmare......

[edit on 5-8-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Battlefield Earth

Exposes how a few powerful adherents to a religion made up out of whole cloth by a drugged up psycho can force a movied studio to produce one of the most ghastly movies in the history of cinema.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
memoryshock:
Thanks for the post. I'm going to think about the social/economic/political climate more and the realationship to movie releases. Some are more obvious than others. I wonder what The Island had to say about cloning? (Didn't see it, kept thinking it was a rerelease of the Leonardo Dicaprio movie (The Beach). Bad marketing.))

Something that I remember off the top of my head, is that while watching (subjecting myself to) disney's Little Nemo, one character actually makes a one liner at the direct expense of America. But what sort of bothered me about this is that it was a cartoon aimed at young children.

Sure, I know it was meant for the parents and that small kids won't give it a second thought, it's just not something I'm comfortable with in a children's cartoon. Simply, I resented investing time into what should have been escapist entertainment, and getting a thinly-veiled political reference and stereotype in a politically charged time.

disney: "Let's get kids started on US-guilt as young as possible."
writer: "Aye aye, sire." *salutes and clicks combat boots*

PS: About the Bourne movies...I'm just feeling burned because I had read the books beforehand. All in all, I can't say that the movies are bad (they are entertaining) or that Matt Damon is either (and I am a fan of his work in Good Will Hunting and Rounders, and I did find him a good fit in the Bourne flicks.)

[edit on 6-8-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Theres such a range of movies posted here..
I like post-apocalyptic/other reality movies too. I recommend Logans Run and the Mad Max movies. Certainly not conspiracy movies, maybe more of "what can happen/what if" movies. In which case I must also recommend: Stargate (for those interested in the Mars Record/Worm hole travel type conspiracy), A Beautiful Mind (code breaking), Minority Report (futuristic fun), Independance Day (What if they attacked?), and my all time favorite They Live (What if they are already here).

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

memoryshock:
Thanks for the post.

Your welcome.

Some are more obvious than others. I wonder what The Island had to say about cloning?

Some are more obvious than others....but I think you may have a relevant perspective on "The Island." I hadn't thought about it and it seems fairly clear.....

I think that the one-liners are an intentional thing as well, but they are fairly tame. They are relevant in that they help qualify the repetition that helps qualify subtle influences that qualify the mass marketed 'brainwashing'.......
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The above link details an effort by the military to teach a group of respected scientists how to write screenplays. The goal is to enlist their help in glorifing science and scientific careers in the Hollwood budget. The implicit admission is that the militar is using Hollywood to persuade/influence the population into pre-determined ideals and concepts.

I did not submit it, but I urge everyone here to go and vote for it and make a comment. I would love to see this implicit admission to be taken seriously....

PS: About the Bourne movies...I'm just feeling burned because I had read the books beforehand.

I read the books as well......different than the movie portrayals. Ludlum was not done justice, but the differnet directions of the movie suggest to me that the movies were only loosely based on the books.

[edit on 6-8-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   

I wonder what The Island had to say about cloning? (Didn't see it, kept thinking it was a rerelease of the Leonardo Dicaprio movie (The Beach). Bad marketing.))

Never saw The Beach, looked really worthless. I just got back from seeing the Island. I wasn't expecting that much from it actually; and I was surprised at how good it actually was. it made me curious to see if there were any posts or threads that had to do with the topic. Don't really want to spoil it for you in case you, or anyone else, wants to see it; but I can give you a small breakdown of the overall theme/ context of the movie. Basically it is a sort of insurance policy that the rich have (becuase they can aford it), the insurance company grows what are called "agets" and they are told that they grow into an exact duplicate (age, height, weight) of the subject being cloned; but that they remain in a vegetative state with no emotions or feelings. The purpose is so that when the policy holder needs an organ or tissue, or even serrogate mother, the aget will provide those needs. What they are not told is that the only way for the organs to survive is for the agets in effect to become human.

This has many implications about our society. First dealing with clones, are they human, are they not. What kind of ethics or morality come into play when producing clones. The rich having the control over the helpless, and less powerful. The ones in power who know the evil that they do, and yet do it willingly for the pursuit of money or power. The list goes on and on.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Gattiga? (sorry not up with spelling made up words) is kind of timely with the new I.D.'s that are being talked about.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   
DOGMA!!! How can you people miss this? The Black jesus, the Black Apostle, the true god, how can you miss this!

Sure it had Matt Damon in it but was so freaking good! Love that movie.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
yes 2ND hand...................movies are made in hollywood by the jews to prepare the public to what is going to happen AND to disclaim the reality of what HAS happened.they take your soul/image do some enhancements adding what people want to believe about themselves and sell it back to the american public.meaning the people of today were created from other's thoughts along time ago.everyone is dead in spirit..........walking and talking..........but dead inside.the walking dead.only the final touches are being put into place now by the illuminati/mason/zionist jews.why else are PEOPLE NOT SCREAMING LITERALLY TILL THEIR THROATS ARE BLEEDING ABOUT EVERYTHING THAT IS HAPPENING TO THEIR LIVES, THEIR FREEDOM AND PRECIOUS PLANET MOTHER EARTH??????????????????????????????????? LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND YOU'LL SEE WHOSE RESPONCIBLE.WE'RE ALL GUILTY.I HAVE ACCEPTED THAT FACT AND ALSO I HAVE ACCEPTED JESUS CHRIST.THIS IS WHERE IT IS ALL COMING DOWN TOO.REGARDLESS IF YOU BELIEVE IT OR NOT THIS IS THE REALITY.PEACE TO YOU. GENO'

[edit on 13-8-2005 by geno]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Anyone know what was going on with the topic of flouride around the time that "Dr. Strangelove" came out?

and to Geno --- Do your own thing and follow your heart. An army of the lost is being swindled but the evil isn't as strong as it appears to be as a whole. Remain vigilant but always try to be compassionate and speak through your actions. It ain't easy, but I try to do it to the best of my abilities. The darkness will not get any darker or stronger than it is now and it will rot itself out before fruition. The main battle does not take place on Earth only. Goodness continues to win battles behind the scenes and the war will be won. Things may still come to be revealed to us on a daily basis that seem to show otherwise, but these are only signs of what was or is soon to be not.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The Puppet Masters
The Eagle has Landed
Wag the Dog
Uncommon Valor
The Final Countdown

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I finally got to see Andromeda Strain through my local library system.

Firstly, I have NEVER seen a film that mirrored my own mental imagery of a novel. NEVER. The novel is a Michael Chrichton story regarding a fallen satellite carrying extraterrestrial organisms.

Direct lines of course can be drawn to space exploration, science getting too far ahead of itself, dangers of biotechnology and plagues.

But I'm writing because I was struck by the similarities of the stories "WILDFIRE" laboratory/base and Area 51. The WILDFIRE base is in Nevada. It is in the middle of nowhere and built on an underground level system. It's pretty cool. Above ground there is a agricultural research front that appears like a small farm investigating growing things in a desert climate. To get into the underground base, entrance is gained by entering the farmhouse (complete with farmers and agricultural laborers) and unltimately entering a farm implement storage area full of shovels, hoses, etc. Once moves a hidden switch and the bottom of the room lowers as it is an elevator.

Anyway, hidden underground lab in nevada dealing with extraterrestrial biology/technology. Could this film be trying to tell us something?

OH. AND THE BASE SET AND FILM EFFECTS WERE DONE BY THE "2001" TEAM. The plot thickens.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   

OH. AND THE BASE SET AND FILM EFFECTS WERE DONE BY THE "2001" TEAM. The plot thickens.

I hate to expose my ignorance....*gleam*....but I have to inquire as to what the 2001 team is........I would like to know...

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

I hate to expose my ignorance....*gleam*....but I have to inquire as to what the 2001 team is........I would like to know...

Kubrick did 2001 in 68 and was a major breakthrough in effects - hence similar effects team on the effects for AS (they were probably in development right after 2001 to get AS out in 71.... No conspiracy there....

Now - just about every movie ever made could be pulled into a conspiracy related guise..??

top topics

<<   2 >>

join