It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plasma=Lightsabers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
O.K. to start off i do not know much about science maybe just a bit more than the average person
anyway this has always been a novice thought of mine...and it may be far fechted...
If anyone is a starwars fan here(im shure almost everone is
) they would know that a lightsaber is a beam of plasma
i also herd that stephen hawkins is working on trying to make/generate/control? plasma...i dont know if this is true
so anyway if plasma was harnessed would a lightsaber be possible to make

just a young boy dream of mine

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Highly unlikely Stephen Hawkins is working on it, he is a theoretical physicist who's area of expertise is black holes. Why would he suddenly change to plasmas?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Plasma is inherently unstable so don't even think about it. Besides, even if stability wasn't the issue, what do you expect to deliver the power in the grip to cut through objects like butter? A mini nuclear reactor?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
or maybe we found a light saber on a ufo

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Unstable? Tell that to the people who make plasma televisions and fluorescent lights.

As to a lightsaber...I wouldn't be surprised if we have the technology for something similar right now. Hand a few hundred thousand dollars to some MIT students looking for ideas for their thesis, and you might get a lightsaber out of it.

Here is one mans thoughts:
www.exn.ca...

But personally, I don't see it as a laser at all. It think it would be better to suck in the surrounding air and superheat it.

[edit on 2-8-2005 by LordBucket]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Oh. Here you go:

www.new-technologies.org...

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It would also be very dangerous. Imagine trying to imitate a star wars fight scene, then cut your are off.
But look on the bright side, the freaken hot plasma may burn the wound like stiching it.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
Unstable? Tell that to the people who make plasma televisions and fluorescent lights.

I dont think this post really applies because the plasma tv or fluorescent lights do not use pure plasma so it does not have anything to do with this.
The reaction force needed by the containment field of the plasma beam would far exceed the worlds most powerful nuclear reactor, and to make it the size of a hand grip is very very unfeasable, so a big sorry to all the star wars fans out there but i dobt ever in any of our lifetimes will there be a lightsabre in any of our hands that does the same as the movies.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Why would we need lightsabers? There is really no point. What benifit would they have to the millitary or the police? Are we going to have a bunch of solders with lightsabers in the jungle hunting down long range snipers? Not really a useful concept at the moment.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldEagle
Why would we need lightsabers? There is really no point. What benifit would they have to the millitary or the police? Are we going to have a bunch of solders with lightsabers in the jungle hunting down long range snipers? Not really a useful concept at the moment.

I never really said we NEED them...it would just be badass to have one...

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
i think that lightsabers would be a good thing to have if your a civilian. so if someone broke into your house you could just chop them down.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Lightsabers are uniquely powerful, should ever you acquire one as a Teen or Adult it has the power to keep you from ever getting a date as long as you own it!

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Just go to masterreplicas.com... and get the Force FX lightsabers. Closest thing you will ever have in your lifetime to a real lightsaber.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
There is an old US Patent for these as Tools (not weapons) under "Captive Laser Cutting Torch" or something like that. The device comprised a rapidly extendible collapsible titanium tube with a reflective mirror at its tip and an annular laser emitter at the base with laser and power supply in the grip. It inspired the idea of laser swords in the novel The Pastel City.

With a sufficient power density in the captive beam, the air would become an ionized plasma. What gets me is how George Lucas ::forgot:: to give Luke any sunglasses. At least his father had some sense
!

[edit on 2-8-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Ummm...you know when you put metal in a microwave. Is the result of that plasma (big bright flash and a ball of brightness) ???

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
If your interested in something similar, this weapon from blade is actually possible.Laser UV arc

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Hey! You arent that one guy BlissfulIgnorance or something like blissy? they teacher duder from UCLA? are you?
if not its cool

I rather have a gun that shot plasma.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
HUH?

neway i had an idea. since plasma is the whole electrically charged gas or whatever......and ions are electrically charged particles. Well if you construct a powerful ion gun, with a plasma gun in the centre of the gunpoint (inside the field of ions). If the the ion gun is powerful enough the plasma could run along the ion beam, thus creating a beam......

ION BEAM - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
PLASMA BEAM >
ION BEAM - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If the ion beam is cylindrical then the plasma wouldnt be able to escape....and anything electrical finds the shortest path to ground itself, so once it contacts with an object / person then it would travel down it to the ground???

well???

[edit on 2-8-2005 by Shadow88]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
Just go to masterreplicas.com... and get the Force FX lightsabers. Closest thing you will ever have in your lifetime to a real lightsaber.

Exactly.
I've always wanted a lightsaber as most people have since Star Wars came out but i've come to the hard realisation and finally accepted (as obvious as it's always been) that there will NEVER be lightsabers available.

In Melbourne, Australia we have a few asian gangs who's weapon of choice is a sword believe it or not. They actually have sword fights! haha (one dude lost a hand a few months back). Now could you imagine if real lightsabers were available??

So like Zed, i think the best we'll get are the Master Replica FX series - also, they are collectable so they do go up in value (just look at the Skywalker RTOJ saber and what that costs 2 years after its release
)

<<   2 >>

join