It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The male birth control pill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   

For the past four decades, women have a wide array of birth-control options available to them, including the pill, ring, patch and injection, that are all more than 99 percent effective. Yet as far as science has progressed with female birth control, there are still only a couple of birth-control options available to men: primarily the condom and vasectomy. Some men complain that the former reduces sensation during intercourse, and others wince at the thought of the surgical procedure that the second requires (not to mention the second surgical procedure required if they decide they want to reverse it).

The new male birth control pill is a combination of an implant and an injection. It might also increase the spread of sexually transmitted disease!

Full Story

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
contraception = prevention of pregnancy

contraception = not meant to protect against disease.

Preventing pregnancy and preventing disease are two different animals, although it's possible to prevent both with one "tool" as it were (the condom).

Until we start using facts instead of fear as educational methods, we're never going to see much of a decline in STDs.

Anyway. On the topic of the male pill...

great info here

And this:

"Researchers generally envision a male version of the Pill being used by men in committed relationships. Other couples should be using a condom anyway to prevent sexually transmitted diseases, the experts say. "

Full linky here

Perhaps the question is....how many men would be willing to use it?

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
Perhaps the question is....how many men would be willing to use it?

Exactly! Im not particularly fond of the word: injection...especially down there!

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
We are a "male dominated society" the same way that "males" perceive castration they tag it to anything that has to do with their reproductive "organs"

They will be to scare to try.

Meanwhile women will still have to do all the work as usual when it comes with reproductive choices.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
We are a "male dominated society" the same way that "males" perceive castration they tag it to anything that has to do with their reproductive "organs"

Meanwhile women will still have to do all the work as usual when it comes with reproductive choices.

Because all you've got to do is take a bloody pill. If I could do that and spare my girl the trouble or just help out, you'd better believe I would in a heartbeat. No, I have to get an injection where the sun doesn't shine and get a patch implanted under my skin. That means they'd have to cut me open! I'd never force my partner to partake in stressful and painful injections. Most men don't have problems with birth control. Otherwise, most wouldn't wear condoms. On the contrary, if men had an easy option like pills, they would use it. All that's left for us is costly shots, patches under the skin and painful surgeries. As I like to say, "A condom and a pill a day keeps the baby away".

I'm not a medical professional in any way nor should anyone pay any heed to my words! There, I'm not liable for accountability any longer!

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Oy.

Yeah, all we have to do is "take a bloody pill" , which can actually lead to death or severe illness in some women.

Ever heard of Norplant? That's an implant for women.

Heard of DepoProvera? That's a hormone shot. Also for women.

Ever considered the dangers some hormonal treatments can do to women? No? Try researching it. You might just find more than a few deaths relating to hormone-based contraception.

Lack of information is as dangerous as misinformation.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Well here in Ireland and Britain there are lots of underage pregnancies! lots and lots and lots!!! Some pharmacies here dont even sell condoms or pills!

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I had the pill and the depo provera injection that let me bleeding for 3 months.

And the hormones in the pills were the cause of developing tumors in my uterus.

I did manage two children and now I am free, but I not longer can have children.

Now when I asked my husband to get a vasectomy after my on and off problems he refused because he was scare of the surgery, but alas I had to get a mayor surgery to correct what the hormones in the pills did to me when his vasectomy would have prevented my problems along the line.

Yes we women do anything for our men, even die if necessary to keep them sexually happy and confident.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
Well here in Ireland and Britain there are lots of underage pregnancies! lots and lots and lots!!! Some pharmacies here dont even sell condoms or pills!

I'm a Brit, Atomix...

I never had a problem obtaining condoms. You can buy them in Boots and Asda, fer cryin out loud..

And as for the pill - no, you can't "buy" it. You need a prescription; and that's very easily obtained from a visit to one's local physician. I'd find it very hard to believe that the prescription couldn't be filled locally.

You know what will prevent underage pregnancies?

EDUCATION.

Condoms are by far the safest option for teens; though I sometimes think to myself.... "If you aren't ready for the consequences of having sex...you have no business having sex to start with".

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Not in Britain! In Ireland, some pharmacies dont sell condoms....

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Not in Britain! In Ireland, some pharmacies dont sell condoms....

You said Britain - not me

I suppose your best option is abstaining....although many online pharmacies will ship to Ireland.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make though?

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Im not making a point so much as pointing out a fact. Which is lots of pharmacies in Ireland dont sell condoms...

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
......and lots of pharmacies do sell 'em.

I'm still going with the common sense outlook:

If you're unable (or unwilling) to accept the consequences of an action...then you probably shouldn't be partaking at all.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Agreed. Lets face it, men are just overgrown babies when it comes to as much as a hang nail much anything else. Most men would rather put their gf/spouses through a full surgical tying of the tubes vs their little itty bitty cut and tie. Sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for the sex that leaves all the work and pain (would love to see a man give birth) up to their partners. I am sure many males will whine and flame in this thread. They tend to get very nervous and upset when talking about their little private parts.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I would have no problem using this method if it was safe and proven to be effective. Why should the ladies be the ones worried about all the contraception. The men need to start sharing the responsibility.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Memorialday1999

Agreed. Lets face it, men are just overgrown babies when it comes to as much as a hang nail much anything else. Most men would rather put their gf/spouses through a full surgical tying of the tubes vs their little itty bitty cut and tie. Sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for the sex that leaves all the work and pain (would love to see a man give birth) up to their partners. I am sure many males will whine and flame in this thread. They tend to get very nervous and upset when talking about their little private parts.

That is why whenever my husband complains I remind him very nicely all the troubles I have gotten for him to pleased him and to keep him from suffering.

I even display my battle scars that I have gotten in my war with reproductive choices.

To keep him safe and "confident" Life is hard for us women.

Ocelot I am very pleased to see that you are with us.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Im not making a point so much as pointing out a fact. Which is lots of pharmacies in Ireland dont sell condoms...

What part of Ireland are your living in Atomix ? I think you'll find any pharmacy has a generious stock of condoms , heck even your local Centra or Spar will sell them not to mention the amount of dispensers in public/pub toilets.

xu

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
birth control pills are some type of "stereoids" that pro body builders use.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by xu
birth control pills are some type of "stereoids" that pro body builders use.

Huh?

Not entirely sure what you're trying to say there, xu.

xu

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
not really trying to say anything beyond that, I recently came upon this info and to me it was an interesting bit of information and I just wanted to share, Im sure you know that stereoids are also famous for their side-effects.

<<   2 >>

join