It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR collossal waste of fuel!!(or is it)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Hear me out! In a time where gas prices in my region(NH) have risen from 2.179 to 2.319 in the matter of 2 days, and then all of the other local stations jumped to 2.399/gal, I don't see how this sport can still exist. Talk about not giving a rats butt about the environment. ANd please don't come back with football is a waste because it uses water to keep the field green . We aren't importing water from Saudi Arabia...We aren't dependant on another nation for water!!
It drives me nuts when I turn on the TV and see these cars driving around forever...I mean, talk about a waste of an afternoon. All I read on message boards and hear on the radio(JT the Brick) is "You have to physically go to a race to appreciate it". This is what I need: Heat stroke from being in the sun all day while inhaling exhaust fumes watching a bunch of cars burn off a valuable resource which goes up in price daily because we have to import it. I understand that for some reason, this sport is taking off like gangbusters. I just don't understand the reasoning...You want to watch racing? Play Pole Position, Need for Speed, something like that...At least that's INTERACTIVE!!!!

Post if you agree...Post if you have valid points against me...I seriously want to know what the big obsession with this is...

I love football. Why? Because it's competitive....It's one of the only sports where the entire team can be injured in some way or another, but if the coach knows how to make the injured players play and exploit the other team, the injured team wins....Plus, if you play like a team, you will most likely win(example New England Patriots vs Philly Eagles

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufochaser
I love football. Why? Because it's competitive....It's one of the only sports where the entire team can be injured in some way or another, but if the coach knows how to make the injured players play and exploit the other team, the injured team wins....Plus, if you play like a team, you will most likely win(example New England Patriots vs Philly Eagles

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Ok..I didn't say it didn't take talent to do it...I didn't call it pointless or stupid either...
I said it was a waste of an afternoon, basically talking about watching it.
I also said it was a waste of a precious fuel...
Yea, this is these peoples lifeblood, but everyone has a lifeblood....My lifeblood is Network Support....I am not using a gas-powered laptop to support my customers....
All I was getting at with the post was, 'Hey, my opinion is, here's a sport that actually uses a fossil fuel just to exist..If I'm wrong, if it's not eating up this resource, prove me wrong'
I think all pro athletes are highly overpaid for what they do....Come on, you get paid 3 million dollars to stay in shape and play a sport you love? We all should be able to do that..

As for the 'real' football...I agree, soccer is a damn hard sport...That's, what?, 60 minutes of running? That's nuts!!! Personally, I love tennis as well..That's a tough sport....

Anyways, moral of the story is: It can be the number 1 money making sport in the world, US whatever, but at what cost?

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
How much gas soes it take to fill a stadium with Football (any type) fans.?
They all have to drive there..Same with Nascar really...so I wonder what the real consumption difference is.?

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ufochaser
Ok..I didn't say it didn't take talent to do it...I didn't call it pointless or stupid either...
I said it was a waste of an afternoon, basically talking about watching it.

I know you didn't say it didn't take talent, or that it was stupid or pointless. I was generalizing. Sorry.

My point was basically that to me watching football, whether on tv or at the game is a waste of an afternoon or night. It goes both ways, that's all.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Spacedoubt,
Good point, however, racing uses fuel to go around the track 500 times PLUS all the fans that drive there...And we are talking campers and stuff..I see it on 93 N whenever there is a race in NH...TONS of campers....SO football is basically just fans and the busses to get the players to the stadium....Racing is the gas for the fans, the race car trucks as well as the actual fuel consumed in the race....

I'm sure it comes out over the top of football...

BUt as long as the fan base grows and it makes tons of cash, what's it hurt, right??

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Yeah but without the gas there wouldnt be any flaming wrecks. And everybody loves flaming wrecks, like that guy raymond.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Let me see you go 190mph on a 1 mile track, that takes talent!

Also, football is better, although Nascar is fun to watch when someone flips or goes slideways(Nascar term). Heck, Bill Elliot(I think) has ended the same race at the same track upside down twice in a row! He finishes, he is just upside down. Well, last time he was able to flip back over before slamming into the wall again. Quite cool.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
NASCAR is a very entertaining sport. It takes quite some skill and some precision driving. It is very stressful for the car and the driver, which makes it very difficult and complex. Also, those crashes! I'm not really a fan but I like to watch them sometimes in the afternoon.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I also wonder about the amount of gasoline that is burned on any given weekend of racing and there's a heck of a lot of racing going on on any given weekend. On the whole, I would guess that compared with all the gas that's wasted by cars sitting at traffic lights or creeping along in heavy traffic, racing is just a drop in the bucket. Personally, I think all the people running around in those gas guzzling SUVs and pickup trucks waste more gas in a day than NASCAR does in a year.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I also wonder about the amount of gasoline that is burned on any given weekend of racing and there's a heck of a lot of racing going on on any given weekend. On the whole, I would guess that compared with all the gas that's wasted by cars sitting at traffic lights or creeping along in heavy traffic, racing is just a drop in the bucket. Personally, I think all the people running around in those gas guzzling SUVs and pickup trucks waste more gas in a day than NASCAR does in a year.

very well put. do you know how many vehicels are on the highways?
and do these people really need 3 to 4 vehicels in their driveway?
SUV are the biggest gas guzzlers going.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Nascar while entertaining when someone flips 2-3 times before landing is a waste of time/space. If they made each race 50 laps long or something sure, but some are 300-500 laps! One with a short track, I think it's called Brissel is short so it has a ton of laps, so I understand 500 laps on a .5 mile track and 100 laps on a 2.2 mile track is almost the same, but still, why not cut back on the laps? Get more fun as every lap is needed instead of like the first 200-300 laps where it doesn't matter, you still have another 100-200 laps to go.

Also go Browns, they beat the Lions in Pre-Season! To bad they won't play them again.(Unless they both make it to the superbowl, but it's the Browns and the Lions so put 2 and 2 together....)

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I realize I am opening an old thread again, but gas prices have risen more than ever, and NASCAR is still going on, stronger than ever.

Many teams on the NASCAR circuit have had to make extreme budget revisions or order to pay for the travel expense. Never mind the race itself. Do you know how much it costs to haul the cars, equipment, tools, and pit crew members around the country?
A whole heck of a lot more than ther Sunday race does.
And, if one was to watch the entire race, from start to finish, count how many times they gas up - a full tank.

I am an avid NASCAR fan. These cars take maybe four tanks - at best. And that's only if there are a lot of caution laps-which actually consumes more fuel than topping out at 190+ MPH.

[edit on 6-10-2005 by Rouschkateer]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
i wouldn't say i'm a HUGE nascar fan but i will tune in if football season didn't start or if football is in commercial. i simply find cars racing at high speed exciting because at any moment anything can happen. i do not find it exciting to watch some soccer game where they kick the ball back and forth forever and then end up scoring a few goals or none.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

To ufochaser; IMHO your comments were alittle narrow minded and too focused on nascar. Theres alot of racing that goes on so I do not see how Nascar is solely to blame for anything. Also Gradys comments I think have burned up yours pretty well, Do you have anything to return regarding his stance?

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
just for the record...Nascars dont use normal fuel...they use 'Blue Gas'...it costs buckets more than normal fuel anyway.

When i was racing motorbikes in the uk id do about 400£ in a weekend.......

Regards.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Yes I think nascar is a waste of gas. Sure there are other forms of racing that of course use gas but atleast they are somewhat enjoyable. Formula one racing is atleast fast. Nascar is just slow and going around the same stupid track for like 10 hours non stop. And how is being a nascar driver considered being an athlete. You dont exert yourself in anyway except to turn the wheel and push the peddle. That is a common Redneck sport. Now if you look at how stupid nascar is and the massive amounts of fuel the cars consume and the people who defend it are all Rednecks then you will realize how Redneck all live such insufficient lives. And are just useless like there sport.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

join