It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US D/E Sub?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
will the US ever delevop DE boats? They are small and the cost is lower iirc I am wondering what the capaiblities of a US DE would be like and what kind of abilities a DE and Nuke mixed force.

DE boats could be used to patrol the bering straight and the SE asian area of the world.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Read this book by Ian Slater... It's called "Choke point"... If you read it, You'll notice that US needs all the help it can get in "underwater operations"...

[edit on 21-6-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Please explain DE boats.
Or mayme a link to info

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Say no to D/E Subs' my new motto.

Seriously I would not mind developing the cheap small diesel electing subs but only a few. I fear that if they will develop them they will get carried away and start shirking the nuclear sub fleet and that simply cannot happen!

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Say no to D/E Subs' my new motto.

Seriously I would not mind developing the cheap small diesel electing subs but only a few. I fear that if they will develop them they will get carried away and start shirking the nuclear sub fleet and that simply cannot happen!

I dont think they would two different missions blue water and brown water aka long range offense vs Patrol is the caribean/bering/coast areas and defensive counter-invasion

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
IIRC when the brits had D/E boats , they gave the nuke fleet quite a scare - VERY quiet running , and could sneak up on a CBG with reletive ease.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I heard the collins class sub that the aussies have are very quiet
and have performed well against us navy

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char2c35t
will the US ever delevop DE boats? They are small and the cost is lower iirc I am wondering what the capaiblities of a US DE would be like and what kind of abilities a DE and Nuke mixed force.

DE boats could be used to patrol the bering straight and the SE asian area of the world.

The US used to have DE boats, but they have stopped building them as far as I know

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I read choke point, pretty good.

The U.S. could use a few DE boats ,but not to many.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I read choke point, pretty good.

The U.S. could use a few DE boats ,but not to many.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Highly unlikely, if they were going to go down the non-nuclear route, they would choose an AIP system (air independant propulsion). DE boats are very quiet but have to keep snorkling to recharge the batteries.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I don't think the US should use "large" diesel or AIP subs, like other countries, instead they should use smaller subs carrier on the back of nuclear SSN. When SSN comes close to the coastal waters the AIP sub would take over the brown water mission. Also the small AIP sub can return to nuclear sub to recharge batteries/power cells.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
I don't think the US should use "large" diesel or AIP subs, like other countries, instead they should use smaller subs carrier on the back of nuclear SSN. When SSN comes close to the coastal waters the AIP sub would take over the brown water mission. Also the small AIP sub can return to nuclear sub to recharge batteries/power cells.

So basically it would be an aip sub carrier?

What about a cargo looking like shiip that could carry 4 aip de subs lunching them from a set of doors in the bottom. THe DE tranport could lauch them before the pull into a friendly port when thier ration is done the subs surface in boat and are placed on thier rack. just a silly idea

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jezza

the collins and the subs it replaced, the oberon class have both penetrated CBG's in excercises and scored hits on the holy grail, the carrier itself.....

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
US carriers and SSN's have been sunk in exercises by Australian, Canadian, Dutch, Swedish and Chilean SSK's i think to name a few. Also, the US navy has a huge capability problem with ASW and minehunting, with many other navies being superior to it.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
so, by the sounds of that, carriers are in the same place as battleships were in the late 30's? floating coffins in the next big fight........heavy

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jezza

Their quiet because they make no noise due to being in the damn dry dock being fixed too frequently...hmm.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Can I get some reports about these engagements like the distance the CBG was from the coast, type of defense it was allowed to use, the number of ships an subs protecting the carrier, you know that sort of stuff.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Carriers won't go the way of the Battleship. They just need to work on antisub warfare against D/E boats. A CVN is too important to ever see the end of anytime soon. They CAN be sunk, but any D/E boat has to work at it. Being able to have a force projection force like a CBG anywhere in the world in such a short time is too valuable to see them go the way of the Battleship.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Can I get some reports about these engagements like the distance the CBG was from the coast, type of defense it was allowed to use, the number of ships an subs protecting the carrier, you know that sort of stuff.

These reports have been coming out for years and you should be able to find them if you search the internet. However I did find a work in progress research paper by a professor of military studies about the exercises so here you go and enjoy the read.

www.professorthompson.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">
www.professorthompson.com...

In one exercise, the Collins Class sank two US SSN's and got very close to the US carrier during RIMPAC 2000 near hawaii.

www.globalsecurity.org...

If you dont want to bother reading the first paper i gave you here's a summary of some of the sucesses of the SSK's in exercises

www.argee.net... 0Submarine%20Really%20Invincible.htm

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join