It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long will it take for China to become a stronger military power then the U.S?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
How long will it take for China to become a stronger military power then the U.S?

Do you think the U.S will attack China before China gets the upper hand?

I know if I am the U.S and I see another Soviet Union forming I would have something planed to make sure that we don't see another communist super power.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Judging by the size of that diesel engine in the previous post
NOT LONG and i would be worried if i were you LOL

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   
China might be catching up with existing public technology or public military technology, but you can bet your ass they are no where near what we have in secret.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
yea you have to wonder.... we spend more money on black projects than their entire army, navy, airforce each year... you have to wonder what they are working on it now...

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
China has to have an econonmy to rival americas before China would have a chance at fighting the US. ALso China needs to increase their nuclear arsenal by A large aamount.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I have been discussing China as the USA's greatest security challenge for over a decade now. Academia and our government for whatever reason have chosen to completely ignore this looming threat. To OUR detriment. Here's an excellent op/ed written by Cal Thomas. I can't say it any better.

The gathering threat

By Cal Thomas

America's understandable preoccupation with terrorism and Iraq may have obscured the gathering threat of China as a formidable adversary.
At an Asian security conference in Singapore, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld last Friday delivered what some have called an unusually blunt critique of China. Mr. Rumsfeld noted Beijing's military spending threatens Asia's delicate security balance. Instead of so much weaponry, he said China should emphasize political freedom and open markets.

"Since no nation threatens China," said Mr. Rumsfeld, "one wonders why this growing [military] investment?" The answer is that rather than feeling threatened, China intends to threaten others, especially the United States.
www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I'd say that we would have to make ourselves greater allies with them! THEY are the sleeping titan now! Geez, 1.2 billion people... wouldn't want them to get on our nerves!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dances With Angels
I'd say that we would have to make ourselves greater allies with them! THEY are the sleeping titan now! Geez, 1.2 billion people... wouldn't want them to get on our nerves!

We're a bit beyond that, at this point.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I couldnt believe those foolish words out of rumsfelds mouth the other week. Their military buildup has a lot to do with Taiwan. Because the United States continues to back Taiwan and the Bush Administration sending signals to the Chinese that the US will get involved, the Chinese see this as a direct threat to their emerging status to become a superpower. If Rummy seriously doesnt believe it or not the US itself by continuing to play the strongman and interfering in Taiwan is the one spurring the Chinese enthusiasm to greatly improve their military capabilities and to be able to defeat the US and Taiwanese armies in their sphere of influence.

Once this is accomplished their sphere of influence and status as a world superpower will be firmly set.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I guess it doesn't matter to Rummy & company that China will be capable of hitting several US cities w/missiles in the not-so-distant future, if not already (if we defend Taiwan against an attack). They've already said as much.

Also, the the need for remaining oil reserves has put us in direct competition with China. Unless some super duper diplomacy starts going on, I predict we will meet them on the battlefield (in the mid-east probly) not so far off in the future.

I am not holding my breath regarding the diplomacy... this administration doesn't seem to understand what that is.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Bush specifically said the would not support Taiwan if they came out and claimed their own independence. He also got Chen to back off of his referendum that would have them assert their own independence. I would say we are just taking the middle road on this one, we told China that we would defend Taiwan from any unprovoked aggressive action on China's part, but no more than that.

China is a rising threat, but its rate of modernization is easily countered by our sheer spending on R&D and the current level of modernity for our army as well. China's standing army may be large in size but it isn't really a factor unless the US plans a land invasion. Otherwise we are the only nation in the world with a truly blue water navy, we hold nuclear supremacy, the most modern armored divisions and we spend more on our military budget than the next 4 largest spenders COMBINED. I would say our global hard power is pretty set, but China represents more of a threat in the economic and political sphere IMO.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Did you read that Cal Thomas piece I linked to earlier?

Lately, I havn't agreed with him on alot; but on this I do.

Another thing to consider is the precariousness of economy. It's not nearly as solid as so many would have us believe.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
I guess it doesn't matter to Rummy & company that China will be capable of hitting several US cities w/missiles in the not-so-distant future, if not already (if we defend Taiwan against an attack). They've already said as much.

China totally knows that we won't come to Taiwan's defense, I think it was one of their own military strategists who couched it in the terms that we would rather lose 10 Taipei's than 1 New York or LA. Also, I see China's choice of aggression over Taiwan in 2 ways, either 1) They invade to preserve infrastructure and attempt to maintain some semblance of stability or 2) they just attack and bomb them back to the stone age. In the case of the former, China doesn't have the amphibious landing craft or the air support to really stage an invasion. In the case of the latter, China's missiles would blow Taiwan out of the water before the US could do anything to stop it.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
possibly one more decade and China will be confident in retaking back Taiwan and to takeove the Spratly Islands which has long reserves of oil, they know other nations neighboring that area will not stand and let China take that piece of territory. thats why China makes sure its got lots of high tech stuff. prepare for WW3 guys.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
America's power is a result of our economic power. When China is the world's largest economic power for a decade or more they will soon be the world's greatest military power as their own military spending to include R&D will then exceed America's.

This will happen sooner than people realize. As America looses its manufacturing base to foreign competition America's position will deterriorate. Today our position is artificially propped up because the dollar is the world's reserve currency. This allows America to print and borrow money at levels that would destroy another country financially. As long as the world continues to accept the bankrupt dollar we will continue to have a credit induced spending boom giving us the illusion we are the world's strongest economy. At some point whether the foreigners quit lending, another currency is used in the pretroleum markets, or our borrowing under the current system becomes unsustainable under the impact of the baby boomer social promises the system will break. When it does China will inherit the mantle of economic superpower. Just as the mighty Soviet military rusted in port or garrison so the American military will also face the same fate. Within a few years after such a collapse China will be the lone conventional superpower although America's nuclear weapons will always make us a power to be considered.

Under an optomistic scenario for America it may take China until 2050 to surpass us but the U.S. economic collapse could happen at any time. I think realistically China will be the lone conventional superpower no later than 2030 and most likely by 2020. I already think America could not economically survive a major power war with China today if China did nothing more than sell all their U.S. Treasury bonds on the world market and refused to help finance our national debt. If China invaded Taiwan today and America intervened we would be committing economic suicide. I bet both national governments know this. The only real question is whether the Chinese will wait us out or will they get greedy and press things too early.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
antelope, you have an excellent grasp of what I was talking about. Far too many people don't understand how shaky the US economy actually is. (For all the reasons you denoted.) I think the question of this thread basically lies in what happens to/with the US economy in the coming handful of years.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Why are you asking how long? Shouldn't the question be will they? Your implying that it is inevitable that Chinas military will become stronger then Americas. So I’m going to respond by saying they might or they might not. And since no one here can see the future they shouldn't be too sure about it

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I cant understand your logic, if China becomes rich and powerful you assume it will attack America, what for?Why should they ? you spend more money in their country than anyone else, why shoot your best customer?
Most Chinese people are nice and just want a decent living they don't want wars They don't have a thing about being the Worlds most powerful nation , unlike some country i will not name. They will succeed because of their ambition to be better , thats Capitalism in a Communist country.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Exactly! China will become a Super Power rivaled only by America if things continue ... will China ever surpass our military? I doubt it. America's Military is probably 100 years beyond China ... and we continue to spend Trillions on War.

I think America will do something to stop, or at least hinder the Chinese Expansion and the Chinese Economy.

It would be perfect for America, if some kind of Super-Deadly Virus broke out in Asia that killed off about 1/3 of its population. That should set them Chinese back a few decades ... and decrease their demand for Oil.

But then... they would probably call in the Billions upon Billions of American Debt that they have bought since 9/11... when we needed it most, and then 2 years later when Japan stopped buying it.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Why do Americans hate the Chinese for being good at making money? Also why do you want to kill them for doing so, looks like you need a shrink i think.Looks like America wants to kill of the competition because it cant compete. America has become a Nation that would rather bomb someone than compete with them according to these posts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join