It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

V-22 update

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Hows it goin eh?
Found an update on the V-22 testing today. If you dont know already it has entered and been in testing since late april of this year. this is suppose to be some of the last testing for the airplane/chopper. Im wondering what you guys/girls think about or if the V-22 will ever make it into service. the cost per aircraft has doubled since the start of the programe. heres the article by the way pma275.navair.navy.mil...
Regards Dave

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Well almost a year later here is another MV-22 update.
The site has resently been updated with some info on the testing of the 22 in a exersize where they had to recapture a mock airfield and they even had the Osprey training along side the CH-53 Sea Stallion helicopters and AV-8B Harriers. This testing is the last of its kind before they start preparing the "Plane" for deployment. Also at the bottom of the linked page is a kool 360 degree view of the cockpit and the interior fuselage (needs quicktime). Any thoughts on the subject?

JACKSONVILLE, N.C. - The Marine Corps' first operational Osprey squadron is scheduled to wrap up weeks of integration training Thursday as it participates in seizing an airfield near the North Carolina coast, officials said.

Six MV-22s with Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 263 , based at Marine Corps Air Station New River, N.C., will zip leathernecks from Camp Lejeune's 1st Battalion, 8th Marines, to Outlying Landing Field Atlantic near Beaufort.

VMM-263 has participated in Marine Air Ground Task Force integration training with various units over the past several weeks, according to officials with Marine Aircraft Group 26 at New River. Last week, Osprey pilots flew 2nd Reconnaissance Marines to Fort Stewart, Ga., an Army base more than 300 miles from Camp Lejeune, for long-range training.

links: www.navair.navy.mil...

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 04:20 AM
link   
not much to talk about...

It fills a certian niche, so I have no doubt it will go operational...and go into full production. I think its a pretty cool aircraft, and given the fact that its been crash free for a while, and has like 2 decades of R&D under its belt, I think it will do just fine.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Murcielago, I agree with you for the most part but i think that it is not worth the effort from a tecnology standpoint. Yes, I think it will do fine, but I also think that it is goint to do and be just that, a fill in until something better comes up. There needs to be a different and safer propulsion system that can be cost effectice, and not to get into the "black" world here....but I do believe that this system will be up/running/public in the very near future.

Canada, thanks for the update..what are your thoughts on the Osprey?

Peace, Mondo

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
My thoughts on the V-22 eh? Well I agree pretty the same as you guys. The point about the RD (research and Development) is very valid and the reason there have been very little crashes of late is beacuse of that RD. They did push the limit though on some of that testin hence the crashes and the bad choice I think in putting marines in them too early the testing programe. Its a "plane" fills a gap in a great way its cruise speed kts (km/h) : 241-257 (446-476) is something for medivac and insersations that will lower the time that the plane is vunerable for. It went through teething issues lie any plane but maye a bit more so due to that it was a fairly new operation and that no VTOL twin engine plane had been tested in the same way. I dont think people should hold the problems as just the planes fault. As you said Mondo it will fill a gap that has never been filled before and hopefully they continue RD in the area so this isn't a one time solution.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Yeah, and thanks Canada!! I was a bit unsure if I was clear and concise in my meaning, but apparently I was!? I think it's a great concept and application, but is just rudimentary in comparison to the way that technology is moving. That's why my stance on it is that it is a standby substitute until a more cost effective alternate enters service (or even R & D for that matter).
I don't think it's a far off bet either by the way, the change from vertical to horizontal flight and vica versa is nothing new, but then add the payload capacity and you get more problems. With a new technology, mainly propulsion systems, you could alleviate many of those problem areas I think. I know it sounds bad, but the propeller systems has to go the way of the dinosaur and the Harrier approach cannot sustain the engine stresses for any duration in a realistic combat setting either....thus the need for a safer and more proven and cost effective system to be introduced in the near future!

Whew...my mind via the keyboard, Peace again, Mondo

new topics

top topics

join